Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
More of my nephew's musings.
#108715 08/25/05 10:44 PM
Ajax Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Some of you may remember my nephew Chris' essay "Why I would make a crappy terrorist.," which recounted his adventures in duplicating movie gunshot special effects.

Well, Chris recently became a father for the first time, and has shared a few thoughts on his son Dexter, known as "the Dex man" (named after Cary Grant's character in "The Philadelphia Story"). I offer this only as a humorous diversion. If you're busy, skipping it might be a good idea.

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Baby Goggles

Any young guy has heard of the term “Beer Goggles.” For those of you who are not familiar, it refers to the odd phenomenon whereby our vision is affected by alcohol. You know… remember that girl you met at the beginning of the evening…the one with the one eyebrow who grows a better mustache than you? Yea, well, now you’re dancing with her to Bon Jovi and she is remarkably better looking after a few beers. And after a night of drinking, the mustache is gone and you’re starting to wonder why she’s not on the cover of Maxim.

I have now noticed that the same dynamic is involved in parenthood. I will coin this affliction “Baby Goggles.” When a child is born, anyone with a genetic connection or who bares a responsibility in raising that child develops the belief that the child is Gods gift to adolescent beauty. This little blob comes out all pink and smooshed with a lobe shaped head and the relatives all go “He’s so beautiful.” If I looked like that right now, people would cringe with terror and children would run screaming in horror. Unless, of course, they just drank a six pack and we were dancing to Bon Jovi.

Now he comes home and it’s poop and drool and spit up and his grandmothers are all “He’s absolutely the most perfect baby in the world.” I don’t have to tell you what people would say if I was drooling and vomiting and filling my pants with crap. There hasn’t been enough beer brewed in the world to make that look good. And let's face it, Bon Jovi's not gonna' help. I have to admit that our little guy's head has mellowed to a more natural color now and it isn’t as pointy as it used to be. But, when he came home he was a dead ringer for “Don Rickles”. Then he lost some of his birth hair and went into a sort of “Phil Collins” phase. Now that he is putting on weight, he has definitely settled firmly into an “Uncle Fester” kind of thing. (Be honest…you’re humming the Adams Family theme in your head aren’t you?)

The main difference between Beer Goggles and Baby Goggles is that Beer Googles wear off. The next morning your buddies show you a picture of you dancing and you ask “Who’s that dude dancing next to me?” And, as the grins of evil pleasure come across their faces, it all comes rushing back like a horrible dream. As far as I can tell, Baby Goggles don’t ever go away. I imagine as they were leading Jeffery Dahmer away to a life of prison, his mom was saying “Isn’t he cute in that orange jumper? Hi jeffy boy sweet heart. Mommy loves you!”

The people I really feel sorry for are the child modeling agencies. How the hell do they tell parents that no one is ever going to want to look at their little troll? “Wow…Yea…We’re definitely interested in your child. If we get any calls for babies with crooked teeth, a droopy right eye and a head that slopes to the left, we’re callin’ you first!" I could just see us rollin' The Dex Man in and they look at each other and say "Ya know...I think they're making another Mad Max movie real soon.”

Don't get me wrong, I don’t mind when people think their little angel is perfect as long as they remember...They just might be the only ones who do.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Re: More of my nephew's musings.
#108716 08/25/05 11:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Very well putThis sums up very well what all us Fathers AND Grandfathers knew all along......but would NEVER say out loud in front of the Mothers and Grandmothers!!

Although we May try to convince ourselves otherwise.....in time

#108717 08/25/05 11:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Actually that is an extraordinarily good looking baby. If he is able to hang onto his looks he is going to grow into a very lucky teenager. Lock up your daughters...

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#108718 08/25/05 11:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Whoa there!!I just got off AOL(the default around here)and went to Mozilla and took a gander at the photo which AOL in their infinite wizdom WON'T allow me to see; and dang if that AIN'T a good lookin' kid after all, that shot can't be a newborn!!That, or it's a touch-up!!

#108719 08/26/05 12:08 AM
Ajax Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Shoot! Now I can't see the photo. What gives? When I first posted it, I had no problems. I'll see if I can post it again.

Jack

#108720 08/26/05 12:15 AM
Ajax Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
The Dex man was born May 6, 2005. So he's sneaking up on 4 months.

Father & son.

Chris will be pleased to hear someone other than the parents and grandparents think Dex is nice looking.

Jack

#108721 08/26/05 02:25 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
When my sister-in-laws first child was born I was forced to drive 150 miles to peer at this child. As my wife and her sister ogled the nursery and spotted the back of the head of their nephew, I heard them say in unison, "oh, how cute." I have often wondered how the back of a swollen head can, in any way, be considered cute.

#108722 08/26/05 03:16 PM
shareholder in the making
From what I understand, we're hardwired to see them as "cute" so we don't kill them. Think about it--most baby mammals are cute--big eyes, big heads, etc. It's a defense mechanism.

Why no, I'm not a parent, how can you tell?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#108723 08/26/05 05:19 PM
aficionado
aficionado
oh, so it to prevent a "Baby, the other other white meat" type of thing?

Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
#108724 08/26/05 05:24 PM
Or "Goddamn, this thing won't let me sleep!"

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters