ibook or powermac
#108926 08/28/05 09:40 AM
L
littleb Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
L
My son has informed me that he'd really like an Apple notebook computer. So, I went to the Apple site and was glancing at the specs for the ibook and the powermac and I didn't really see much of a difference between these two. Considering there is a considerable price difference, the powermac must be preferable in some way. Any insight would be appreciated!

Re: ibook or powermac
#108927 08/28/05 04:32 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
At this point, the 12" PowerBook and 12" iBooks are pretty much equivalent. I tend to be somewhat leery about the iBook line because of all the issues Apple had with the iBook G3s, but the iBook G4s seem to be a solid product. I anticipate a new set of Powerbooks coming out sometime quite soon, because the iBooks have been improved so much (they got the sudden motion sensor, the scrolling trackpad, etc.). The 15" and the 17" are different animals; much better graphics chips, much higher resolution. Given the choice, I would take those over a 14" iBook any day. The 14" iBook has the same resolution as the 12" iBooks-1024x768.

The other advantage the PBs have over the iBs is the fit and finish on the PowerBooks is really quite nice. I'm using a PBG4 12" for work right now, and I am pleasantly surprised by the feel of the machine.

In any case, if you can wait, I'd wait until after Apple Expo (September 20) to buy. Of course, given Apple these days, they could bring out the new models on Tuesday, or wait another 3 months. Who knows...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#108928 08/29/05 02:21 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I use a 15" PowerBook as my main computer (actually it's my only working computer) and I love it. I agree with Ken, the fit and finish of the PowerBook is better than ibook. To me, those white cases and keyboards of the iBook would just show too much dirt over time. I much prefer the larger display over the 12". Although it is nice and compact I felt like I'd have to squint all the time (I know you can make fonts bigger), but I wanted a bit more in the graphics dept.

I am no techie and really appreciate the ease of use a Mac offers. But in the end it is all personal preference.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
#108929 08/29/05 05:20 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I am a recent customer of Mac Mini and love it. Haven't used one since I had a Mac Plus in college.

Because of my work, I track what they do very closely. I have a 17" G4 that I use for demos. VERY nice but I wouldn't call it portable, quite heavy actually. But the screen is STUNNING and the sound is surprisingly good. The latest iBooks are what I'd go for you need something now. But if you can, I'd wait for the Sept 20th show. As reported on several websites, like engadget.com, appleinsider.com, they'll probably have a refresh of the powerbooks before MacTel starts.

If you want good pricing, check out the outlet section on Apple.com. You can get lower prices on refurbs.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044