B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B

Re: OT: Katrina and World Support?
#109413 09/01/05 04:18 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
very cool. I know there are parts of the world the would say, we're getting our just desserts, but it's good to know that you can't stereotype everyone.

#109414 09/01/05 05:04 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree with your general statement about the US giving but not receiving. While it isn't 100% true in all cases, the amount outgoing is way more than the amount incoming (unless you talking about illegal aliens entering the country and getting healthcare and governement financial support, but that is a different story). I am not talking just about money, but people support... People to help clean up, aid the sick and injured, rebuild. There will be some, and those people will probably get a few minutes in the spotlight because they will be so few that the reporters will be able to single them out pretty easily.
They won't be doing it for the publicity, they will be the true humanitarians. But why not more? Why won't other countries send help? I don't know. While not everyone in the world agrees with the United States' government, we are all still people.

I couldn't go and help out after the tsunami, but I gave money to groups that could. We are not weathly. I have a wife and 2 kids with just me working. Sure, compared to many other countries everyone on this forum would be considered weathly, but we don't have funds to go out to eat, our cars are getting pretty old, we don't wear the latest fashions, go out for concerts, pro-sporting events, or other larger ticket events. We just can afford to. But we can afford to give. Even my 11 year old daughter, who gets no allowance found that she could dig up $20 in spare change that she had been saving for years to donate to help the tsunami. Now that it is here in our own "back yard," I feel that we will have to try to come up with even more to cover the lack of support that we won't get from other countries.

If you are from another country, or even the US, and you don't give, that is your right. I will not think any worse of you as it would be obvious that you have your own life emergencies and situations that don't allow for you to give. I've been there myself in the past. But if you can give anything, I am sure that there will be a whole group of organizations that will come forth that you can easily donate money to, no matter what currency you use.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
#109415 09/01/05 06:23 AM
shareholder in the making
I have read that the UN and at least 12 countries are offering support. There has also been donations from private citizens of other countries. It may just be a matter of getting the word out. With so many hurricanes this year, it may be that the foreign news orgs didn't pick up how bad it was. But I don't know.

I'm pretty shocked by the devastation, myself. It's hard to imagine, believe, or comprehend. My heart goes out to all those affected.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#109416 09/01/05 08:30 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
The one thing I had to add from 10 seconds of exposure to CNN while picking up my extra house key from my parents'... one email sent into CNN sounded a bit like this discussion, but was a thumb in the eye to all other countries... went something like "Why aren't the Dutch here? They're supposed to be so good at building dikes... and the Bush family's Saudi buddies, we pulled their a**es out of the fire enough times, and the French, this city used to belong to them - oh, wait, they're French..."

Within that 10 second period I went from "oh, hell... what a mess" to "Self-righteous ******s, let 'em swim"... then you realize that that email wasn't sent by someone affected, but by some grizzled backwoods honeydipper with a Trans-Am with a big Amurican' eagle on 'er.

Our provincial hydro company (last I'd heard this afternoon) was told to hold off on support.

Bren R.

#109417 09/01/05 10:33 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Thank you, Nat.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#109418 09/01/05 01:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
>>With so many hurricanes this year, it may be that the foreign news orgs didn't pick up how bad it was. But I don't know.

I think that is part of the problem. We all heard that Katrina shifted course at the last minute, heaved a huge sigh of relief, and stopped worrying. It was at least a day before I realized that very bad things had happened in New Orleans despite the course change.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#109419 09/01/05 01:34 PM
I had the same thing happen to me.

When the winds were 185MPH, I sat up and took notice. When the winds were decreasing, the pressure was rising, New Orleans was going to be on the west side of the storm... I stopped paying as much attention. Heck, even the news the night of the storm said that N.O. "dodged a bullet". It wasn't until the next day and the day after that when I realized the severity of things.

And, quite frankly, I still haven't wrapped my head around how many people will be displaced for so many months or permenantly.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#109420 09/01/05 03:03 PM
aficionado
aficionado
there is a contingent of Canadian Red Cross workers heading down very soon that I am aware of. My gf's cousin is a RC worker (911 operator) in Brandon and is due to ship out at some point next week, I believe.

I would have to agree with the last couple of comments that when I heard the "good" news that the storm was downgraded and weakening, I tuned out a bit. I didn't realize how severe it was until we started receiving emails on how it was affecting my industry. Word is that the port of NO may not return to normal operations for months. As somewhere between 50 & 60% of all US grain shipments go through the port of NOLA, Katrina will have a significant impact on everything Ag in North America. Farmers as far away as Minnesota will be severely affected.

The loss of life is staggering. My sympathies to those who have lost family & friends.

"Chickens don't clap."
Appalled
#109421 09/01/05 07:00 PM
R
local
local
R
I'm appalled that any news organization can focus on "who's helping us?" right now. That is help down the road and many countries will provide it. The issue right now are those people. They need food, water, medicine, assistance, leadership, and military protection/organization NOW. Not tomorrow, not this weekend. NOW. I'm appalled at the slow reaction and I'm appalled at the lack of leadership. I'm appalled at the bureaucratic mess that has led to inaction that is costing people's lives.

It's quite clear people have congregated to certain areas. What is so difficult about flying supplies and military personnel into these areas by helicopter? Our Homeland Security Chief Michael "Jerkoff" said today they had placed supplies in the are before the hurricane. Well, if they are already in the vicinity, where are they? My governor, Ed Rendall, offered 2,500 national guard. Well Ed, what took you so long and geez, don't ya think ya could offer more?

Get this: I have a friend in the national guard. I talked to him yesterday. I thought he would be unavailable and on "flood duty". He tells me they are only asking for volunteers right now. WTF? WTF is wrong with this country?

Michael "Jerkoff's" news conference today was a CYA. Now is not the time for CYA. He actually said he knows what it is like to stand on a roof, thirsty, hungry, with a sign, pleading for help. That is absurd. They don't even give a crap about those people and it's evidence by the lack of action. ho hum. help is on the way.

Page 3 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 29 30

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters