Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 30 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 29 30
Re: OT: Katrina and World Support?
#109452 09/02/05 10:26 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I know where I'd put my tax bucks.....it's a no-brainer

Hey.....I've never been to Mardi Grax,(uh..sp?) and I'm fast runnin' outta time!

#109453 09/02/05 11:00 AM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Peter, It is not an "either-or" question. The answer is "both". The amount of money geberated by the rebuilding of New Orleans will be staggering, and mostly paid by insurance companies, private companies, etc ...

One area which all states who were hit will likely tap into and hopefully the Feds will follow suit is giving to companies needing to rebuild, and to those looking to expand: Tax Exempt status.

In regards to Iraq, A Freely elected government is in place, as is a constitution. Staying the course will give those people a real opportunity to have a free market driven society, ehich has worked everytime it has been tried.

In 1804, by the way, 28 YEARS after our Declaration, 35% of US citizens wanted to return to British rule.

Freedom is not won, nor understood, in a few years.

#109454 09/02/05 11:38 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm guessing that the costs to rebuild New Orleans will be born by us; the taxpayers and survivors.(not everyone pays taxes) The companies will do the job with their own and governments money, tally their costs, add a profit, and pass the final on to us.

A free market driven society dosen't always work, a responsible vigilant popular Government is needed to keep the greed driven marketplace under control to avoid additional depressions, or the situation of transition which is taking place here in the US where a two class society is fast approaching. We're at a one third-two thirds ratio now and the upper two thirds are just about ready to recognize that fact. The bottom one third knows it all too well.

Just like New Orleans, the levies and locks of trade agreements cannot be torn down haphazardly without disasterous consequences occuring down stream.

#109455 09/02/05 12:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
'I’ve always wonder why hurricane prone southern coastal states doesn’t have better infrastructure to at least withhold cat3 winds. States like Florida , why they keep building houses out o wood?'

I never could figure that one out myself. We live a block and a half from the beach just a few miles north (Vero Beach) where both Frances and Jeanne came ashore last year and almost all of the houses in our neighborhood were built of concrete block except those right on the beach, which most are (were!) built of wood. We didn't lose one shingle during the 120 mph winds, several of the homes in the hood lost shingles and almost everybody lost their pool screen enclosures. Today our neighborhood *almost* looks as though nothing ever happened but take a 3 minute walk down to the beach and there's still pieces of sticks and plumbing poking out of the sand where a wooden house once stood.
I do hope they hurry up and rebuild those things, they make an awesome windbrake for the rest of us.

Rick
Our Room

smile
#109456 09/02/05 12:36 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
F107, The Free market style governments ALWAYS work. They have worked everytime. As for government "oversight", and your 1/3rd - 2/3rd theory, it is merely that, a theory. The upper 2/3rds is not a static portion of the populace, nor is the lower 1/3rd.

I grew up on the "wrong side of the tracks", and know all too well what being poor feels like.

It was our free market economy which gave me the opportunity to do better.

I also personally know people who used to be wealthy and are now bankrupt. They stopped working, thinking they were "set for life". I also have several associates who grew up in similar circumstances to my own who are now millionaires. They worked 80 hours per week, took some risks, and built a better life.

As for your "pass the final on to us", perhaps a little economic reality check is in order. If a company does not make a profit, that company will fail. Lose enough companies, and you will have unchecked economic failure.

Throughout history, every country which has taken profit out of the equation has ultimately failed.

#109457 09/02/05 01:06 PM
veteran
veteran
Actually, House Speaker Dennis Hassert has actually asked the question of whether or not it is feasible to rebuild the Big Easy. For as long as I can remember, NO has been a mecca of crime and govt. corruption. My wife was telling me how useless the police are out there. My head tells me it is not worth it, but my heart tells me different. I think it merits further debate.

#109458 09/02/05 01:29 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Royce ... That reminds one of the Dennis Quaid flick with Ellen Barkin. (The Big Easy ?) ... every cop was on the take.

#109459 09/02/05 01:57 PM
veteran
veteran
It is really sad. N.O. police are looting and some are just quiting on the spot. I was watching NBC News last night and they showed a cop driving through some of the refugee areas in a big SUV. People came over to the car asking for help, he merely kept driving and said "There will be other people coming soon." Typical behavior from what my wife tells me. You can blame the federal government all you want (I don't), but the buck stops with the state and the city of N.O. The state was a mess before this happened

#109460 09/02/05 02:14 PM
R
local
local
R
For the life of me, I cannot figure out why any human being would even think that the fact that some people chose to stay is worth mentioning or even an issue here.

Four days later: insufficient supplies dropped at the Convention Center. Horrible. Four days.

People have congregated to certain areas and are not as spread out as one thinks. At least get supplies and waste management to these areas, geez.

On Thursday night it was known this was going to be at least a huge CAT 4 hurrican and so little national guard mobilized beforehand. Absurd.

#109461 09/02/05 02:19 PM
R
local
local
R
"Riffman, fine. Let's have him shot. Afterall, He DID cause this tragedy. "

Not very intellectual.

Page 7 of 30 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 29 30

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic