Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Help with HT bypass
#109949 09/04/05 12:31 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Does anyone have any experience with hooking up a two channel preamp and amp to a multichannel receiver using the HT bypass feature? This problem is frustrating because I'm convinced it's something simple or obvious that I am overlooking.

I've been using a separate two channel amp in my HT set-up. Recently I decided to add in a preamp that I had. I wanted to see what it could add to my two channel listening experience. Problem is is that I want to be able to use the HT bypass on the preamp so when I watch a movie I can control the volume with the receiver. I don't want to play the game of trying to match the volume of the receiver with the volume of the preamp. As I believe, this is the function of the HT bypass, right?

I'm using my Denon 2900 as both my cd player and dvd player. Okay, I have my speakers hooked up to the 2 channel amp. The 2 channel amp is hooked up to the preamp. The 2900 is hooked up to the cd input of the preamp. My H/K receiver is hooked up to the preamps HT bypass input through the preout rcas.

When I use my Denon as a cd player, everything is fine. However, I get no sound from the left and right channels when I switch the preamp to HT bypass. If I switch the dial on the preamp back to "cd" I get sound, but the preamp is controlling the volume. If I want to use my Xbox or PS2, I can't get any sound out of the left and right channels no matter what. I am getting very frustrated with this, but I am determined to make it work.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Go easy on me if I've made a stupid mistake somewhere. Please.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Re: Help with HT bypass
#109950 09/04/05 12:53 AM
axiomite
axiomite
The 2900 needs to be hooked up to both the preamp (stereo RCA) and HK receiver (optical or coax) -- assume this is already done ?

Seems to me the real trick is going to be getting the 2900 to output to the analog jacks when playing a CD and to the TOSLINK (optical / coax) when playing a DVD... or does it do this automatically ?

It sounds like the HK isn't getting an input, so nothing is going to the pre-outs, so nothing comes out of the amp when pre is set to HT bypass. What source are you using when HT bypass is enabled ? Hope it's not CD unless you have CD input on the HK as well

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Re: Help with HT bypass
#109951 09/04/05 01:12 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
In reply to:

The 2900 needs to be hooked up to both the preamp (stereo RCA) and HK receiver (optical or coax) -- assume this is already done ?

Yeah, I did that.

In reply to:

Seems to me the real trick is going to be getting the 2900 to output to the analog jacks when playing a CD and to the TOSLINK (optical / coax) when playing a DVD... or does it do this automatically ?

It should be doing this automatically. When using it for two channel listening while it was hooked up to the HK, I set the HK to the six channel analog input, not the cd input.

In reply to:

It sounds like the HK isn't getting an input, so nothing is going to the pre-outs, so nothing comes out of the amp when pre is set to HT bypass. What source are you using when HT bypass is enabled ? Hope it's not CD unless you have CD input on the HK as well

If I keep the preamp set to cd, I get sound when I select the DVD source on the HK. I have two volume knobs to adjust, though. But when I turn on my Xbox, I get no sound out of the left and right no matter what setting I have the preamp at--cd or HT bypass.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters