Print Thread
Rate Thread
Athena Audition and Point 5 Series - Audition
#11104 05/21/03 03:20 AM
KC_Mike Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
I hit the local Best Buy earlier this evening to check out the Athena technology speakers. I listened to music on the AS-F1 and AS-F2 audition series towers. I thought they both sounded very good....especially considering their price. I just auditioned some Wharfedale Diamonds and Pacific Evolution towers over lunch today and I actually prefer the sound of the Athena's. The Wharfedales are too laid back for my taste....so that is perhaps most of the reasoning why. They didn't have the audition series setup for home theatre but they did have the Point 5 series setup for home theatre.

The Point 5 system retails for $499(two bookshelf mains, surrounds, & center channel - no sub). I have to say I was quite impressed with the Point 5's home theatre performance....especially considering the price. The center channel, mains, and surrounds were all equally excellent at doing their job(I wont go into long details).

They only had the AS-P300 sub available. I dialed it to around 55hz for my liking and gave it a go. It was fair to average. The bass was decently tight at lower volumes...but became somewhat boomy at higher volumes. I did hear some substantial port chuffing but setup conditions were very poor.

I still plan on purchasing an Axiom system in June. I was actually auditioning the Wharfedales and Athena's for a friend who is seeking a setup that has towers for mains and is no more than $750 for the entire setup (minus sub).

I just wanted to know, for those of you who have heard the Athena's, what your opinions are?

Re: Athena Audition and Point 5 Series - Audition
#11105 05/29/03 07:27 PM
GLH Offline
frequent flier
frequent flier
I purchased the AS-P400 sub a couple of months ago to go with my Axiom M22's in a stereo system. I find the sub to be quite musical and, while I like to play my classical music at respectable levels, my wife likes rock/pop at ear shattering (to me) levels. The AS-P400 does well with both. I have not noted any chuffing and the bass still sounds tight and blends well with the M22's at wife-playing levels. Does BB not sell this sub or are they out-of-stock or just not displaying it? If you liked the 300, you might try to find the 400 as it may overcome you problems with the 300.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044