M80 speakers & 10 gauge wire
#1108 01/23/02 02:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry to ask such a dumb question but here goes (new to all this). Wired my 10 gauge zip cord to the M80's lower set of posts and found the post hole size was not large enough for the wire. It frayed back and only a portion of the wire is in the hole. All the other Axiom speakers in my setup (VP150, QS8's and subwoofer had holes big enough to accept the wire. So, is the lower set of posts the correct posts for single wiring (or the top set) and should the hole have accepted the 10 gauge wire as did the other speakers.

Re: M80 speakers & 10 gauge wire
#1109 01/23/02 02:28 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Unless you are bi-amping, or bi-wiring, these posts should be connected(either by something Axiom installed, or internaly - less likely).
If the are bridged (connected together) you can use either. You are not getting the full contact area buy using less than the complete bundle of stranded cable. You are also creating an environment for short circuiting the amplifier if these happen to touch.

You may want to invest in some spades or banana plugs. Ensure these will accept wire of your size.

I am curious as to why the other Axiom speakers accepted 10g, but the M80 would not. Perhaps there are different binding posts. One would make the assumption that the flagship speaker would accept it.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1110 01/23/02 08:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for your input BBIH. The two sets of posts on the M80's are connected with a gold plated (?) jumper bar. I've made sure the wires from the plus and minus wires are not touching but I also feel I'm not getting all the punch I should out of the 10 gauge wire. The posts are set up to recieve a bannana plug so thats what I may do for the M80's.

#1111 01/23/02 10:07 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
That makes sense. Or you could get spades, they would work as well.

The bar is probably gold plated...if not you may have a valuable piece of precious metal! It is removed to bi-wire, or bi-amp (theoretical, but less pratical than "normal" bi-amping)

If you are not getting 100% of the strands of the conductor to make proper contact with the post, in theory you are not getting everything available that the amp has placed on the cable. This assumes you have proper connections on the amp side as well. Proper banana plugs are not very expensive. They are readily available. Ensure they are gold plated as well....unless you can afford solid gold!!!;)

Regards,

BBIBH

#1112 01/24/02 01:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the help BBIBH. I've used gold plated bannana plugs for all speaker wire connections to the reciever and will run down and get a set for the M80's. If I'm not getting everything out of these speakers as of now I can't wait to hear the whole enchalada.

#1113 01/24/02 02:03 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
You are welcome.
I would hesitate to say that when you complete this, the difference will be "breathtaking", or a major difference. What you are doing is in essence putting the finishing touches on your investment. This is completing the components on a couple of levels:
1) mechanical - ensuring proper connections with quality materials.
2) electrical - ensuring that you have inserted minimal loss via cable choices.

Let us know the result!

Regards,

BBIBH

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082