Print Thread
Rate Thread
Advice on ICBM
#111876 10/01/05 07:42 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Guys:

I have an Outlaw ICBM, and even though that helped me so much in my setup, I cant get rid of the humming noise. I was told by Outlaw that I need to change the wall transformer, and I did, but the noise is still there.

Do any of you had this issue and fix it? I am fedup with the outlaw board, they are not helpful at all.

Any hint for this??

Thanks

Re: Advice on ICBM
#111877 10/01/05 07:56 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Are you gettig the hum from your sub only or is it in the main speakers as well ?

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#111878 10/02/05 05:07 AM
shareholder in the making
Yes, Alberto, as Rick asked, describe the hum in more detail(e.g. where and when). This may be a ground loop which isn't necessarily only related to the ICBM. We can try some detective work when there's more info to work with.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#111879 10/04/05 02:33 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Well, I already went through all the conections, with sub and without, with monster power and without, etc.

If I take the ICBM out of the line, then the humm is barely listened (need to push my head in the speakers to hear it); That humm is produced by the NAD T163 after the V2 upgrade, and I have no idea why, and the NAD dealer says that did not hear anything in his shop.

If I put the ICBM back again, then I can hear the humm from my listening position and at listening volume levels. Some record are really affected becacuse of that. I have a Beethoven CD that is recorded very quiet, and I need to put it around -5 to -10dB, and then the noise is very audible, and disrupt the nice experience (yes, I listen to clasical music at high volume..)

But latest news: the 500mA fuse was burnt: it was raining and the power went off, when it came back up, I think that the surge in the new transformer was too big and was the cause (I have surge protection, but the normal transient of charging the primary of a transformer it could be enough , i guess) The new TRX is bigger, a 2.4amps capable, when the standard one was 300mA capable. I have not idea what happened next, but the ICBM is not powering up...

I change the fuse for a 500mA, 250V as the original one, and now the ICBM, as soon as I plug the cable into it (TRX already connected) the fuse burnts instantaneously, I can see the spark!!!... I changed it 3 times for new one...

This just happened today. I need to contact Outlaw tomorrow.

Cheers

#111880 10/04/05 03:35 AM
Okay Alberto, we asked for more details, but frankly I got lost trying to follow the "upgrade", new transformer, fuse, etc. You have excellent equipment which wouldn't seem to have needed any "upgrade", but I can't even guess if that has anything to do with the hum.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#111881 10/04/05 06:47 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Sorry for that...

The wall transformer was changed because in the Outlaw forum, some people with humm problems, either found a better transformer or bought an isolator transformer... That is why i changed mine, but the problem of the fuse is happening even with the old one.

The "upgrade" thing, is about the NAD T163, that I got just the software upgrade but not the hardware upgrade (to DPLxII). After the software upgrade, a humming noise appeared that I did not notice before. Sound strange, as software should not create noise, but I can hear even when the processor changes modes, something that I did not hear before. Before the upgrade the processor was dead silent.

Anyway, the T163 "upgrade" is not related to the ICBM noise I hear. So no need to go into the detail. Of course if other T163 owner have similar problems, it will be nice to hear from them.

Thanks.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,476
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 1,022 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup