Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Speaker face-off this weekend
#11213 05/28/03 11:29 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
I think I used the word "schill" back on page 1 of this epic. Sorry, offhand comment said without any real deep thought or care. I am disgraced. It was the stress... the drugs... the alcohol... the drugs dissolved in the alcohol... the devil, yes definitely the devil that made me do it. BTW Radiohead's Amnesiac sounds fantastic in DPL II. Again, I apologize.

bj

#11214 05/28/03 11:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
"BTW Radiohead's Amnesiac sounds fantastic in DPL II."

It is better in Logic7!

#11215 05/28/03 11:49 PM
buff
buff
Cheeseroo

I spent a lot of time looking at the factory crossovers and tracing out the circuts. Time consuming to get it traced out correctly but not really that hard. The factory crossover pc boards are not very complicated. So after much detailed analysis I am sure that I got it exactly the same as the factory layout.

I am not really sure what you are asking me when you typed the following: I think the idea of 'high' end vs. 'low' end components is the question i'm asking here Steven.
How do you determine better vs lesser? Metal types used? Solder type? circuit boards? etc.

Hey Chesseroo have you ever looked inside your Axiom speakers or perhaps taken a good look at the crossovers?

Re: Speaker face-off this weekend (adding a sub)
#11216 05/29/03 03:49 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
I've had my KEFs for about 4 yrs. I use them in a HT setup:

Q95 center
Q75 mains
Q15 surrounds

These are the KEFs with the tweeter located in the center of the mid-range driver. Kinda fonky' looking but kinda cool to.

I also have a pair of KEF RDM-2 bookshelf speakers in a bedroom 2 ch. setup.

I really enjoy the KEFs in the HT setup but for two ch. music, I prefer the Maggies or the Axioms.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#11217 05/29/03 04:10 AM
old hand
old hand
I'd like to thank Curtis and Mad Dog for sharing their thoughts about all the speakers at the face-off. I've been reading the thread at AVS over the last couple of days and thought I'd offer some thoughts. I could have predicted some of the responses to the conclusions. I think the comment by Curtis questioning whether the response would have been different had they raved over the Axiom speakers was right on. I've owned a set of Axiom speakers (M60/VP150/QS8) for almost a year and was part of a group at HomeTheaterTalk that evaluated the Rockets when they first came out last year. I offered my thoughts on the Rockets here. You can also read my review of my Axioms here. I stated in my review and in my observations on the Rockets that I prefer the Axiom's more detailed presentation. I also stated that I loved the finish on the Rocket's, but they'd clash with the rest of my furniture so the Axiom's black finish works better for me. I had quite a few emails from people questioning my observations and suggesting what might have biased my opinion (maybe it was, as one emailer suggested, my "lack of high-end equipment"), so I can appreciate where Curtis and Mad Dog are coming from. They've offered their opinion based on a short listening period and a preference for a different type of sound. I didn't think that their observations were negative. They just didn't place the Axiom speakers at the top of the budget list, which is what seems to have concerned some people. My only concern is that I've already read comments in other threads at AVS from people that are basing purchase decisions on the outcome of the face-off. I only hope those people won't drop Axiom from consideration without auditioning the speakers in their own home or least trying to find an owner in their area.

David

#11218 05/29/03 04:16 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
davehead,

i agree with you...folks need to listen for themselves to determine what is best for them! i know what i like, but i certainly wouldn't tell anyone else what they should like and purchase!

#11219 05/29/03 11:06 AM
veteran
veteran
It seems that many of us Axiom owners are a bit defensive about our speakers. I would imagine this is the same over at AV123 board (Onix) and every other brand supported board around. Let's face it, while we all have our preferences on sound, all of the speakers tested are well regarded and well reviewed. In fact, I hung around the Rocket board for quite awhile as I was considering purchasing Rockets. Unfortunately I hate wood grain finishes (no matter how well done) and that was the only finish available when I was ready to buy. The idea of internet based speaker companies intrigued me and that eventually led me to Axiom. Of course I also looked at the Ascends and Aperions as all of these brands are usually linked together by virtue of their internet direct sales.

Eventually I took the plunge and now I'm a huge Axiom fan. I think if I would have purchased the Rockets or Ascends I'd probably be a huge fan of those too.

Bottom line - it's a good time to be a consumer looking for quality audio equipment at great prices as there are choices that will satisfy everyone.

Frank

Re: Speaker face-off this weekend (adding a sub)
#11220 05/29/03 02:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Kef always seem to make neat speakers.
They have a style that is just kinda wacky as you say.
The last time i heard a pair, i liked them, but i just coudln't get over their looks. I don't remember the model offhand but it was older (late 80s?, ~70lbs ea).

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020