Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
QS8 placement - new construction
#112578 10/10/05 05:30 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Finally going to be starting the framing for my basement tomorrow, which will contain a home theater, kids play area, pool table and office. We built the house last September, and I held off on the basement to allow things to dry out a bit, and ensure I was able to go through all 4 seasons without any water or excess moisture.
Now the question: I’m going with 5.1, the HT portion of the room will be ~ 13ft wide, x 32 ft deep, 8’6” ceiling. The seating position will be 12-13ft away (depending on my choice for screen size), and the back ~ 20ft will be the kids play area. I have a pair of QS8 on the way, and I require assistance for location. I have obstructions on both side walls that do not allow for the optimum “just a bit behind and above the listener”. There’s a window on one side, and stairs on the other. The maximum height I can install the RS is 5’ (window starts above that), and the LS has the railing for the stairs. I’ve decided to go with a ‘drywall’ railing, which is basically just a short wall that extends to 32” above the stair height. As such, the further I move back in the room, the higher I can mount the speaker. In order to get 5’ high on the LS, I have to go ~ 4’ behind the listener. I prefer to keep the 2 speakers in line with one another, for esthetic reasons. Is 4’ to far back from the listener for the surrounds? Would I be better off to bring them closer, and lower? I’m going to take some pictures today, before the framing starts, so I could post them to give you a better idea of what I’m up against. My other option is to ceiling mount, but then they would end up in front of the window, and in the opening between the railing and the ceiling (not very pretty).
Thanks.

Re: QS8 placement - new construction
#112579 10/10/05 06:26 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Have you considered stands? Because of room conditions my surrounds are slightly forward and slightly above (about a foot each) with no ill effects.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044