The basic HT with M3Ti
#1124 01/24/02 01:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm planing to buy the M3Ti for my stereo system. I like classic system more than HT but also want to have some HT features/effects. What're the primary additions I need to put for the thought with limited burget ? And what's for one level higher ? Please recommend if center, surrounds or another bookshelves is needed and which models. Thanks.

p.s., my room is not big, say 100-150 sq.ft.

Q: The basic HT with M3Ti
#1125 01/24/02 05:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok, let's make my question simple.

Considering the price, I can accept the M3 or M22 to build my stereo system for now. I choose M3 because my room is less than 200 sq.ft.

I can also put about $400 more on speakers if I can get real approach to HT effect. That means I can choose from surrounds+center, another bookselves+center, or what you recommend ? Since any combination with subwoofer will exceed my current burget, does a subwoofer only help anything here ?

If the burget is too limited for a 'home theater', I may save it for a few months until I get enough to build the whole system. The stereo system is my major consideration. I just want to know if it's worthy to put the extra money if I cannot get the entire solution for a period.

Thanks for any input.

Re: Q: The basic HT with M3Ti
#1126 01/24/02 06:15 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
I don't think the question is too complicated, but you need to focus on what you really want.

1)Is it a stereo system for music playback?
2)Is it an HT setup?
3)Is it a stereo setup for music playback that can also be used for HT?

I believe you currently have 1) and you are aiming for 3) if you can with your budget in mind. Ultimately if you do not aim for one, you will not acheive either. You mention that the stereo (I assume for music listening) is your leaning. The equipment you presently own is also a factor on where you go. Does your present gear lend itself to either choice?

Understand this: on a purely audio scale, there is very little in terms of HT equipment that comes close to hi end audio. The goals of the designers of A/V receivers (for example) is vastly different than that of hifi amplifier equipment. That is neither a condemnation, or praise for either component - but simply fact based on market targets and design features.

So, back to your question - I would advise to buy a good set of speakers for musical listening, with the thought of using them when/if you decide to build an HT system. If you aim to get some of both solutions, you may end up unhappy with the pieces your budget will limit you to selecting.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1127 01/25/02 05:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BBIBH, Thank you for your reply. You understand my case very well. I agree with your suggestion so I am going to buy the M3Ti now. Hope that is a set of speakers good enough for musical listening.

By refering to the "Epic Master Home Theater System", I will probably choose QS4 as surrounds but EP125 as subwoofer. Regarding the center, I am not sure if I will go for VP100 or VP50. Anyway, I can leave this question until I start to build the HT later this year.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

#1128 01/25/02 10:41 AM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
In your build to a full HT system from a 2-channel system, I would be inclined to purchase the sub-woofer next (after the M3s). The sub-woofer will add to your 2 channel listening experience plus it is a very important channel for HT. All processors have a 2-channel option you can select for movie watching until your system is completed. Some DVDs even give you the option to select 2 channel when you start up.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
#1129 01/25/02 03:20 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
I have not heard that model,but I think that you can find posts from people who have. They seem very pleased with the M3. It should make a good starting point for your system. It will also be a good piece to be included in your HT system, when you start building that.

Be sure and let us know what you think of the speakers.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1130 01/26/02 04:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just set up a system myself which is designed, first and foremost, for music and secondarily for home theatre. This is a budget system, certainly not audiophile grade. Despite this I am quite satisfied with the compromises I have chosen. My room is just slightly larger than yours. The system: Onkyo TS-DX494 receiver (55 clean, conservative watts/ch - comparable to many rated at about 100 watts... $250), Axiom M3ti mains (these are incredible speakers - the best part of my system!... give them a try, I would be VERY surprised if you decided to return them!). I'm using a PSB Alpha Subsonic 5 sub - I was actually looking for a smaller, cheaper sub but I found a deal I couldn't refuse ($260) so I spent a bit more than I'd planned. Unfortunately, Axiom doesn't have anything in this price range. The cheaper sub I was considering was the Yamaha 105 which is normally about $150 at Best Buy. This has gotten some good reviews (audioreview.com - a very helpful site) for a small sub... for a center channel I bought a Merak MC634 from the ubid auction site. Merak is the budget line of speakers made by Colquhoun Audio Labs (Axiom is their high quality line). No, it's not the same build quality but for $39 plus (somewhat inflated) shipping it is a great value! This model has two 6 1/2" woofers and a titanium tweeter and seems to work well with the M3s. Center channel is mostly dialog and the Merak sounds very clear. For surrounds I got the "Kenwood" KVS-64s, also from the ubid site. ($98/pair, but you might get a better price if you're patient as batches of these are offered on a regular basis) Each of these has two 4 1/2" woofers and, you guessed it, two titanium tweeters. These are very well built and work great as surrounds (mostly effects, often somewhat ambient) and not bad for music either considering their size. These are made for Kenwood by a first class Canadian speaker manufacturing company (hint-hint)... I just got this system set up and checked it out by watching the Pearl Harbor DVD (I use a Panasonic RV-31 which I also use to play CDs) and the sound was beautifully clear, detailed and plenty loud... and it's even better with music (using just the M3tis and Sub). Canadian speakers rock! Yes, I'm sure there are much better systems out there - but for this amount of money? If you can afford better (all Axioms) go for it but decent budget components aren't always so bad, believe me.

#1131 01/26/02 10:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"These are made for Kenwood by a first class Canadian speaker manufacturing company (hint-hint)... "

WOW....Mirage makes speakers for Kenwood?!???

#1132 01/27/02 03:37 AM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Now that is just plain rude!!! ;)

Reference 3a maybe huh?

Regards,

BBIBH

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic