Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: 3ti's in a bookcase
#114407 10/30/05 11:33 AM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
BOT
I appreciate all the feedback guys even the asides. Of couse in this house we are Bulldog fans. It was a tough loss to the Gators yesterday.

If that is the case with Axioms would any of you know of a company that makes bookshelf speakers that are actually designed for the purpose?
thanks
oz

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon
#114408 10/30/05 03:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Just to explain my "aside": Both JohnK and I are Browns fans (no easy task these days), though he is more restrained about it than I. However, I am an Ohio State alumnus (I actually graduated from Kent State), and John, I believe, is (oh the ignominy) a Michigan alumnus. At least I seem to remember a post where he uttered the hated () "Go Blue." So, my reference to Ohio State in my previous post was meant as a good natured dig at John's shameful affiliation. Hopefully, someone else will.

(The previous was all delivered with tongue firmly planted in cheek. I was born in Michigan, performed in clubs around the Michigan campus, and consider the state my second home. Yes U of M is the team we love to hate, but I have profound respect for the university and the team. The pattern in recent years seems to be that whichever team is doing better has their ambitions spoiled by the other. We did it to them last year, so they'll probably do it to us this year. Dirty %$%#*&*(())#$!!!!!! )

Sorry about Georgia, Oz. I thought Texas and UCLA were gonna get dumped from the ranks of the undefeated as well, but they both rallied.

Today I gotta watch my beloved Browns lose to the only winless team in the league. Oh the shame of it!

In an attempt to legitimize (and that's really stretching it) this blatantly off topic post - I know of no manufacturers who make a bookshelf speaker specifically designed to fit into an enclosed area.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#114409 10/30/05 03:16 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Just a thought here, what about getting the new W3 and building them into the bookshelf.I could see that being a workable solution..................no ?

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#114410 10/30/05 03:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Oz, I think speakers with front ports are a little less placement sensitive than rear ported ones. I have some Energy C2s with front ports that I have used on bookshelves and stands with little difference in sound. Of course it has been years since I've done any critical listening to these guys (currently being used as my rears), but they seem very room friendly.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
#114411 10/31/05 02:24 AM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Jack
No need to legitimize here. As a matter of fact I apppreciate the background info. Still being a newb here I don't know as much about you guys as some of you seem to know about each other. Perhaps in time. Actually it is the threads that kind of mutate and take a life of their own, so to speak, that I like the best. That's where I get to learn a little more about the people here. You mentioned a few times that you were a musician and here in this thread made comments of playing club dates. What instrument did / do you play and what type of music were you playing when you were in the gigging?

#114412 10/31/05 02:46 AM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Rick
Actually that would be a great idea. I think it would be a hard sell to the wife though. Number one I didn't want to spend that much on the speakers. These are intended to be an upgrade to the computer speakers. I want to get rid of the little mini's and hook my sound card up to a cheap amp. That way I could have half way decent sound. I would like to listen to Sirius satellite streams while I'm on the computer. Also the "bookcase" as I'm calling it is one of those full wall systems for the office. A center piece that is a desk with hutch flanked on either side with conceald horizontal file cabinets with lighted bookcase topppers for each. Very nice and very expensive. Now I could probably do a reasonable job of modifying the pieces but I don't think my wife would like the idea. She's being pretty goood about my wanting these so soon after getting the 60's and I don't want to press my luck. I guess I should have mentioned that I don't need reference quality sound here I would just like something a little nicer that the cheapo computer speakers.
You gots me thinking now though.
oz

#114413 10/31/05 03:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Played guitar, but was primarily a vocalist. As far as type of music, you name it, we've played it. Started in the folk craze of the early 60s.

Proceeded through folk rock, to country rock, to blues rock, to rock, back to acoustic rock, and finished doing standards out of the 30s, 40s and 50s.

The fellow with the banjo in the first photo, is the same one on the left in The Corsairs. I'm in glasses in both photos.

Jack

#114414 10/31/05 03:48 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Do you still have the Martin?

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#114415 10/31/05 03:57 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Absolutely!

The D-28 is one of the last ones made from Brazilian rosewood, circa 1964. The D12-20 is one of the first ones manufactured, circa 1965.

Jack

#114416 10/31/05 04:03 AM
axiomite
axiomite
That is really cool Jack, thanks for sharing the pictures!

Rick
Our Room

smile
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617