Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Denon 4806 setup help...
#114610 10/31/05 11:08 PM
jjbay Offline OP
OP Offline
Help... I'm ready to pull out my hair on this. I've always thought of myself as fairly competent at electronics of all sort, since it was my line of work in the Air Force many years ago, but I'm stymied by this one. I have been able to get my sound and video through the main part of my system, Sony rear projection TV, using the Components jacks, and I'm good on the sound, sort of! But I have a remote plasma screen in our master bedroom, upstairs from all this, connected via a modulated s-video signal (over cat5 cable). I can't however, seem to get a video signal out of the 4806 on the Zone-2 out jack. I can run a signal from any other S-video device, like my 8mm VCR and the picture shows up in the bedroom perfectly. But move the very same cable end to the 4806, and no go. I've gone through the menus, looking for clues, and am coming up empty.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Joe

Re: Denon 4806 setup help...
#114611 11/09/05 01:49 AM
veteran
veteran
Joe,

I ran into a similar problem a few weeks back when I first recieved my 4806. This is where I ran into the terminology of "down-conversion" which, of course Denon doesn't do.

If I understand your setup correctly, all of your connections are by component jacks except to the plasma which is by s-video connection, am I correct? If so, to go from component to s-vid would be considered a down-conversion and therefore not compatible. If it were the other way around, it would work... it did for me. I'm not sure if the cat5 cable modulator has any effect but I suppose it is possible.

I have an older Sony TV that the most effient connection option was s-vid. Since my DVD player and 4806 had component cable connections in common, why not go with the most efficient option and use the component cable, at least for those two units right? Nope, because there was a down-conversion in the formula (component to s-vid), it wouldn't work. When I replaced the component cables with s-vid so they were all on a equal plane, it all came together.

I hope this helps, you are looking in the right place for your assistance (on the Home Theater category)... many people came to my rescue with much appreciated advice.

Good Luck,
Bud

"Never, never, never give up "... Winston Churchill

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup