Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: HSU VTF3 MKII....HOLY CRAP man!!!
#115102 11/11/05 11:24 PM
old hand
old hand
In reply to:

You make it sound like the VTF3 is way more than what I need. I may have to consider the VTF2.

It may be more than you need, it depends on your room and how you use it. I'm one of those people who beleive in having more headroom than I really need. I like the extra headroom for clean output. The key for me is clean output vs. distorted. That's why I run two VTF-3s, because for me sound quality is everything and I always want to know that no matter how demanding the movie is mixed I'll have the SQ I want by having plenty of headroom.

That's why I'm always amazed when people talk about their subs it's always about how low and what dB they go vs. talking about the quality of the sound at a low Hz and high dB. What good is a sub that hits 16Hz at 110dB if it sounds like crap. I think most people think subs are all about bragging rights of high dB and low Hz, and thats all good as long as the sound quality is there too.

For example SVS makes some really great subs, but to me their best sounding sub that I've heard is the PB12 Ultra. It's not their most expensive, loudest or lowest, but to me it is the best combination of low extension, high dB and sound quality that they offer in a "box" sub. I'm sure everyone with bigger and more expensive SVS subs will disagree with me, but that just what my ears have heard from the SVS subs I've listened too(nope I haven't heard them all).

OK I'm done with my rant, so how big is your room and how loud do you listen? Those two things make a big difference on which sub to get. Also do you use you sub for music or just movies? Alot of people think just any sub is good for movies, but movies have great soundtracks and belive it or not even explosions will sound different on two different subs.

#115103 11/12/05 12:39 AM
axiomite
axiomite
The people who thinks subs are just for movies have never heard a good sub. I'd never want to try and integrate a lousy sub into my music either, but owning a good sub makes me never want to go without it!

#115104 11/12/05 03:09 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I just put a Hsu car sub in my car and do not think I could live without a good sub in a car now.

#115105 11/12/05 05:17 AM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
Hey littleb, you may be okay with the STF2 as well.

I've been researching the HSU subs for a little bit now and I hope I can get mine tomorrow. I'm looking at the STF3 or the VTF3. Unfortunately, I need to go to a DR test for our company tomorrow

From what I've read, the STF's are basically the budget version. STF is set for maximum extension mode while the VTF's give you flexibility for tuning maximum extension (how deep) or maximum output (how loud). Of course, the VTF3 will go the lowest...

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
#115106 11/12/05 07:24 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Actually....the STF-3 is in maximum output tune compared to the VTF-3, and the STF-2 is in maximum extension tune when compared to a VTF-2.

#115107 11/12/05 04:26 PM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
Thanks for the clarification..I think it was the stf3 that you could get from the factory changed to maximum extension for a slight fee..right?

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
#115108 11/12/05 05:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Not that I know of. The early batch of STF-3's were mistakenly installed with amps meant for max extension.

#115109 11/12/05 06:35 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

If you have a STF-3 you can get it modified for the 20hz exstention.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#115110 11/12/05 07:28 PM
local
local
My $.02

If you can afford it in any way, go with the VTF3 over the VTF2. Both awesome subs but here is what I heard.

Went down to the Hsu headquarters to listen and probably buy the VTF2 if it lived up to half of its praise.

It was incredible. I loved it. It was the first sub that I had ever heard to really have super clean and accurate bass. Had listened to every sub in the big brand stores including 15" velodyne's, infinities, cambridge soundworks, and many many others up to about $2500.

I began working out the details on price and color with the staff when Dr. Hsu came and started talking to me about my room layout and size. He stated that I really ought to consider the VTF3 for my situation. He made it a no brainer especially with the deal he gave on a B-stock sub.

So I said lets do it and began paying for the VTF3. Mind you I had not even heard this sub yet because I was really only interested and initialy budgeted for the VTF2. The good Dr. asked me, "Do you want to take a listen to one of these".

"But of course", I stated.

Back into the listening room armed with my CD's and some of their library of DVD's and CD's. Well it took all of the first bass hit/note to convince me of what a great decision I had made. Is it more than I need, probably. But my goodness the bass that comes out of this sub is awesome. It was a big difference in quality from the VTF2 at the same volume levels. And don't forget I LOVED the VTF2. It was awesome. Its just the VTF3 is that much better.

Of course your room is not huge but you will DEFINITELY notice a difference at any volume with the bigger sub. Its worth it to me.

I would go with two if the wife did not hate the "massive, ugly black box in the corner". Oh well, at least I get to enjoy one.

#115111 11/14/05 05:00 AM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
I just picked up a VTF3-MKII as well on Saturday, loving it. Still needs proper calibration and possibly to be moved around a bit though.
I have only had about 25 minutes with it so far, so I am looking forward to getting some time to play with it this week

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup