Rate Thread
Why am I getting such conflicting info on surround
#116496 11/18/05 01:58 AM
G
regular
OP Offline
regular
G
I can't seem to get very good advice regarding whether to get quadpoles (QS-4/8) or direct sound speakers for my surrounds.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6553825#post6553825

What gives? All these guys are saying "NO!" to me getting the QS speakers, and yet here I read good things about them.

Re: Why am I getting such conflicting info on surr
#116497 11/18/05 02:05 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur

#116498 11/18/05 03:23 AM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

What gives? All these guys are saying "NO!" to me getting the QS speakers, and yet here I read good things about them.

There is a rabid group of virulently anti-Axiom folks over at AVS. From what I can tell a very small percentage of them have ever heard an Axiom speaker. Most everyone here plus many reviewers who have listened to QS8 (myself included) have been blown away by them. Check out the Axiom guarantee. If you don't like them, send them back within 30 days. You could audition an entire surround setup that way, in your own home. Really, the QS8s will get your mojo working.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
#116499 11/18/05 03:53 AM
G
regular
OP Offline
regular
G
Thanks for the info. It really does seem like the QS series is best suited for my apps. Now I just need to figure out whether to get the 4s or the 8s.

#116500 11/18/05 04:02 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I agree, from someone that used to be a big fan of direct radiating speakers for surround/rears, I've done a 180 on my opinion since owning the Qs8's. I think if someone was planning on using a 5.1 or 7.1 system primarily for music listening (SACD or DVD-A) then bookshelves may be a good choice. However, the Q series also does very well for music in my opinion, and outstanding for surround applications. Again, in my opinion, I have not found another speaker manufacturer with the same design concept.

In regards to AVSforum, I spend a lot of time over there, at least I used to....I've been a member there for a couple of years and have racked up almost 1500 posts so far. As LightningJoe mentioned, there are a few sour trolls running around that like to bash Axiom every chance they can get, it is really sad. Of all the speakers talked about on AVS, I would say Axiom, B&W, and Klipsch get the worst rap, not sure why, but I can tell you most of what you read, take with a grain of salt.

I spent close to 3 months auditioning various brands:NHT, Paradigm, B&W, Infinity, and a few others. All of the auditions were done in professional home or high end dealers with custom rooms setup. It was not until I heard Axiom that I was sold. I was this >< close to getting B&W 703's for my mains since my brother inlaw is a big fan. He has since started to change his tune.

Anyway, you could check the audition thread under "Hearing Things" to see if anyone in your area is willing to let you hear these gems (Q series) or take advantage of the 30 day trial. Odds are you will not return them. You can also order from the Factory Outlet on the "Store" link above, as most of us do, this will save you 10% off the regular prices..

good luck, and hope to see ya around here more often. I'll guarantee you it is a much better group of guys. Oops, I forgot about Sonicfox, she is a gal

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Re: Why am I getting such conflicting info on surround
#116501 11/18/05 04:15 AM
axiomite
axiomite
What you are getting at AVS is a bunch of Ascend owners who like Ascends advising you to get Ascends. And here, you'll find a bunch of Axiom owners who like Axioms advising you to get Axioms.

I've had QS8 quadpoles, and am currently using dipoles. I'm a movie buff and both do a super job with flicks. I am also very fond of SACD and DVD-A, and have enjoyed both quadpolar and dipolar surrounds with those formats.

While it is preferable to match your surrounds to your mains and center, it is not critical. I used my Axiom QS8s with Rockets, and enjoyed the result. The QS8s should blend even better with the Ascends than they did with the Rockets.

The fact is, either will suffice. It just comes down to what you want. Here's my advice. If your system will be used predominantly for movies and listening to standard (redbook) CDs, get the QS8s. I believe you'll love 'em, and they will function fine with SACD and DVD-A. If you listen predominantly to SACD and DVD-A, with only occasional forays into movies or redbook CDs, then perhaps the directional speakers would be better for you.

Truthfully, neither choice would be a mistake.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup