Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
New here, needing a little advice.
#117544 11/28/05 05:15 AM
B
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
B
I am currently starting to look at putting a new HT together and I'm not real familiar with anything other than your standard Best Buy and Circuit City electronics. I have only owned Pioneer, Toshiba, Cerwin Vega, and Yamaha in the past and I really want to get something nice. I have been looking at different speakers and stumbled across a forum that mentioned Axioms. Since then, I have been on this forum reading as much as I can about them and I think these are what I'm looking for. I can't really afford anything, "high end", so these seem to give you the "high end" sound with a decent price.
All I currently have to start with is my tv. We just moved into a new house that we had to furnish from top to bottom so I had to go with a cheaper display (Toshiba 52HM84), but it does produce a great picture and I'm very pleased with it. The room I am going to put the finished system in is 15x12x9. It has wooden floors, but I am going to put down a large area rug. The back of the room has a 10ft. opening into the entry way with a tile floor. Anyway, I am looking to add a receiver, dvd player (a new one), and speakers. I plan on starting with just the receiver and front towers, then eventually add the center, surrounds, sub, etc... I am interested in the M60's, QS8's, and the EP500. I want to start with a quality receiver and the M60's.
I would like to know if these speakers sound like a good fit for this room. I would also like to know what receiver to use with this setup as well as a nice dvd player. I have read a lot about Denon, HK, and Pioneer on this forum and while these sound like okay choices, I have heard some negatives on other forums. Could someone please help me with this? I would like something reliable, that has great sound for movies as well as music. If there are other brands mentioned such as Rotel, Nad, Marantz, etc., please include links to buy these online. I have looked for better online pricing and have come up short.
I apologize for the long post. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: New here, needing a little advice.
#117545 11/28/05 05:53 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Welcome, Billy. You should do very well with the speakers you plan on getting. Really, any receiver will be able to power the M60s. Just look for a receiver that has all the functions you are looking for. Personally, I prefer H/Ks because they offer an extensive bass management system. I don't know if other brands offer this, but it would be at the top of my list of things to look for.

You can find negatives on just about any piece of audio gear if you dig hard enough. People like different things, and others just seem to enjoy knocking certain brands. The most important thing is to find something you like. The internet is a great place to find out info on audio gear. It can also be maddening because there can be too much to digest.

Last edited by St_PatGuy; 11/28/05 06:11 AM.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
#117546 11/28/05 06:01 AM
B
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
B
Thanks for your reply. You're right, there is a lot of information on the internet about this and it does sometimes get overwhelming. I have been looking at the HK AVR635. It looks pretty good. I've also been looking at the Marantz SR7500. These are both around the same price on Ebay and they both seem to have great sound quality and nice features. Decisions, decisions.

#117547 11/28/05 06:08 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Welcome Billy,

I couldn't agree more with St PatGuy. If you're looking for choices, or are one who likes to have a selection. The new Denon 3806 as well as the new Onkyo 803, both have adjustable crossover settings for each individual channel, as do the HK's, and they're all very good brands. As previously said, when doing your research, look over the features, and go with whichever you not only like best, but also has all the features you're wanting.

Sutter

#117548 11/28/05 07:03 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Billy, welcome. Your room has nice proportions from the standpoint of minimizing room modes and the speakers that you mention would be excellent. If you don't have any HT receiver now, then yes, that should be bought first along with the M60s. If there was already a reasonably up-to-date receiver, I'd suggest using it and buying QSs now instead.

Don't know why you "came up short" looking for good online pricing since typing just about any receiver into Google will bring up a list of buying services such as this . I'd suggest that to simplify your search you pay little attention to power ratings and none to any claims about "sound quality". Any of the receivers that you'll be considering will have more than enough power for your speakers in that room and all will amplify the sound transparently (regardless of whether it happens to be music or a movie)without adding any characteristic sound of their own. Buy the features you want at a price within your budget and don't pay attention to bizarre old audiophiles' tales that you may read on the net. Just a few of the obvious candidates would be the Denon 2106 and 3806, HK 435 and 635 and Yamaha 1600 and 2600.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#117549 11/28/05 07:06 AM
B
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
B
Thank you very much for your replies. I really appreciate it. Again, I'm still learning, so please bear with me. Thanks again.

#117550 11/28/05 07:14 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Any more questions and we start charging!

$5.00 per.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
#117551 11/28/05 04:02 PM
B
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
B
Haha.... Send me the bill. I want as much info as I can get before I start spending the cash.

#117552 11/28/05 05:44 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Billy,
one tip would be, as is usually a good practice on EBay/internet, be very careful from whom you buy your receiver. There are many shady, fly-by-night resellers out there and you'll want to make sure you don't get burnt. Both Marantz and HK should list their authorized dealers on their websites.

I'm not saying all unauthorized dealers are untrustworthy, and if you want to save some money, buying through an unauthorized dealer is the way to do it, just be careful. Good luck!

"Chickens don't clap."
#117553 11/28/05 05:47 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Marantz makes wonderful stuff, but they DO NOT sell online. Period. The end. If you elect to purchase a Marantz product via eBay or another online retailer, you're almost assuredly forfeiting a very nice three year warranty.

Just a cautionary note. Good luck with your search!

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 583 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup