Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hd DVD's
#118719 12/05/05 06:54 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
When will dvds be recorded in high defintion and or are theyre already discs burned in high def. All these up converters have me wondering if the 480 interlaced and progressive scanned dvds would actually look noticable better on an upscaler dvd player, is it actually worth getting or wait for the dvds and then purchase a player?

Samsung 6168w xbox 360 Imaginary epic60 500
Re: Hd DVD's
#118720 12/05/05 10:51 PM
devotee
devotee
HD-DVD media was originally to be released by Christmas. However they have been pushed back into early '06. Blu-ray discs are to be released in early '06 as well. IIRC, Japan already has HD burners.....

DVDs are interlaced. It is the display that can "display" the DVD as either interlaced or a progressive image.

I am a big believer in the upgrade qualities a good upscaling player will give you. Much of it depends on the original source and/or transfer of the DVD. High quality transfers like Star Wars or the Matrix films look close to HD quality on some upscaling players. Chances are that the new HD players will not be as good as current players at upscaling STANDARD DVDs. However down the road that issue might be addressed. Just my $.02

#118721 12/05/05 11:28 PM
veteran
veteran
IIRC, Star Wars I: The Phatom Menace was one of the first movies filmed in Digital format. Makes it much easier to transfer to dvd and in HiDef.

When Blu-Ray/HD-DVD finally come out, I think the newer movies will definitely look a little better since most movies nowadays are filmed in digital format (although someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

I do watch movies on HDNet and HDMovies (saw Open Range and Natural Born Killers last night) and they both looked pretty damn amazing. Hopefully Blu-Ray/HD-DVD will look a little better and have improved sound. I also have an Oppo upconverting player and I think I will be able to tell the difference between DVD and HD quality pictures. Although, LotR EE versions look pretty damn close to HD quality as it is.

We also have the possibility this might turn into a stillborn technology like SACD/DVDA. Yes, I realize many members here have these formats but from a mainstream perspective hardly anyone knows about em. For most people, DVD might be good enough and relegate the newer technologies to the video/audiophiles.

Last edited by hashts; 12/05/05 11:30 PM.
#118722 12/06/05 02:27 AM
aficionado
aficionado
HD-DVD has delayed its introduction to the market until the first part of 2006, with at least one Toshiba player expected to sell for about $1000. This is about what the first DVD players cost, and you know what they cost now, 8 years later.

Studios originally announced a list of almost a 100 HD-DVD movie titles that would be available when players were to go on sale (this was projected to be September 2005, which came and went without anything materializing). These included the likes of: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, The Bourne Supremacy, Harry Potter (all three), Black Rain (1989, Michael Douglas, Andy Garcia), Million Dollar Baby, The Manchurian Candidate (the new one), The Last Samurai, Blade, etc. As of September 2005, the number of titles to be available at first roll-out has been scaled back.

Blu-Ray Disc has also delayed its expected roll-out date. The final specs on the format are now set to be released early 2006 (with the BD-ROM specifications needed for movie disc production to be done before the end of 2005), with hardware on store shelves sometime during the spring. No titles have been announced yet.

The Blu-ray people say they will announce details of the format's official rollout at the Consumer Electronics Show in January '06.

Studio support had been split about half and half between the two formats, although nothing is exclusive. They will publish in whatever format people are buying. They have continued to push for a single format, even as this seems less and less likely before both formats reach stores. Most seem to have been waiting for some indication of a favorite emerging before committing full support, and as of October 2005, some of those in the HD-DVD camp are drifting toward BD. As of December, the consensus is that there may be no format war at all with recent shifts toward Blu-ray, or that the war is now Blu-ray's to lose.

HD-DVD initially had the advantage of an earlier projected roll-out, but with the delays, that's no longer the case.

Sutter

#118723 12/06/05 04:35 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Michael, as has been mentioned, DVDs are 480i. If the "native resolution" of the TV display is 720 or 1080 the 480 has to be "scaled" up(not really "upconverted") to fit the display. This will be done in the TV itself if the incoming signal is 480. It also could be done by the player, by some receivers or by a separate scaler. If one of these would do a visibly better job of it than the TV itself does, then that should be used instead, but no blanket statement can be made accurately, since they vary.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#118724 12/06/05 04:50 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Re: When will dvds be recorded in high defintion?
If you are looking for DVD's recorded with hi-def cameras there are two that I know of.
1) Boz Scaggs Live (San Francisco)
2) Rush - R30
Both are extremely high quality.
Shaun

#118725 12/06/05 06:33 AM
devotee
devotee
I believe Samsung has announced it will make a DVD player that is compatible with both formats. However I have not heard any specific details.

#118726 12/06/05 12:39 PM
buff
buff
In adding to what Rock Head has listed, there are a good deal of High Def DVD's already available, it's just that few people know about them and I don't know of any "brand name" players currently manufacturing players.

Do a google search on WMV HD. You'll find T2 (only in T2- Ultimate Edition); Into the Blue and a whole slew of IMAX type documentaries.

WMV-HD is Microsoft Media Player 9's HD codec viewable for the most part only on computers, however there have been a few "no-name" DVD players that are able to play back the format. Such players are also usually the type that "play everything" but don't always play everything "well", which is why you seldom see them in reviews or on the shelves at your neighborhood War-Mart/Target.

I would have loved to see a merger of HD-DVD and BluRay, and at one point it was a strong possibility, but egos were involved so we all lose. The new players will up-convert and output their HD signal via HDMI or a similar digital signal and will only be of use to those who own sets with compatible inputs.

Since I've a third generation Mitsubishi (Component and VGA inputs only) I'm screwed for the next four-five years (until my wife allows me to upgrade). By that time, I expect the technology for scaling current 480p DVDs to have matured, as well as the price to drop.

Keep an eye on Samsung when the new players begin to hit the market. Samsung has announced that since the two camps can't agree on a standard, they intend to manufacture and market a player that supports both BluRay and HD-DVD formats (in addition to being backward compatible with today's DVDs).

On the horizon, Maxell has announced a standard for holographic data storage which will put between 300GB and 1TB onto an optical disc! Talk about uncompressed HD A/V nirvana!

...until then!

"Someone tries to kill you - you kill 'em right back!" Capt. Mal Reynolds
#118727 12/06/05 02:19 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Thanks guys alot for the info. I just wanted to make sure before throwing the money down, i was currently looking at the samsung 950 hd up converter, but i guess i should wait for the new season to arrive.

Samsung 6168w xbox 360 Imaginary epic60 500
#118728 12/06/05 04:23 PM
veteran
veteran
I would actually upgrade now. The HD-DVD/Blu-ray thing isn't going to shake out for another few years. While the hardware maybe coming out soon, the available software upon release is underwhelming to say the least. Blu-Ray just anounced their first title to be released and it is CHARLIE'S ANGELS II !!!! It will be a while before any good titles get released from either format, then you will have a format war, and then a winner may shake out or the technology will fail (see DVD-A/SACD). Whatever the result, it is going to take a while for resolution, in my opinion, so go for that upconverting player and enjoy it now. From what I have read, you should be looking at the Panasonic S97, unless you require SACD.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters