Page 1 of 2 1 2
Is Axiom right for me?
#119241 12/06/05 08:04 PM
JLunden Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hi all,

I’m new here and am thinking about getting some Axiom speakers. I’ve been a HT buff for some time and the only thing I feel that’s lacking in my HT is the speakers. Here is what I have now:

Video:
1. Sanyo PLV-Z2 Projector with 110” screen.
2. Pioneer Elite DVD player

Audio:
1. Pioneer Elite 7.1 Receiver (using it for 6.1 only)
2. Technics Front Speakers (large)
3. Sony Rears
4. KLH 210w Sub.

Let me say that I really like my Technics front speakers. I know they are not considered high end, but I’ve really enjoyed their sound and don’t really want to replace them. I do not like my center or rear speakers though.

I guess my question is; can I get a center and rear speakers from Axiom and keep my Technics? Will the difference in sound be too drastic?

Also, what makes axiom better than say JBL or Klipsh?

Thanks for any info
-JL

M60 v2 Towers / VP150 v2 Center / QS8 v2 Surrounds
Re: Is Axiom right for me?
#119242 12/06/05 08:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I guess it depends on how neutral the Technics speakers are. At worst, the only difference will be a slight change in timbre as people (or aliens ) move around the soundstage; depending on what you watch this can be a trivial thing or more of an annoyance. You don't need to worry about things like sensitivity because the receiver has adjustments to make everything match up.

If you like your Technics fronts because the sound is clear and "open" then the match with the Axioms will probably be pretty good.

The big deal with Axioms is that they are one of the more accurate (ie flat frequency response) speakers in the price range, and as a result they seem to do a better job than most of letting you hear all the detail in your recordings. Klipsch and JBL tend to emphasize certain frequency ranges (which many people prefer, I'm not just saying they are junk) so in general you get a more exciting sound with rock but a less enjoyable sound with a broad range of music or with movies (where a clear midrange is particularly important).

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#119243 12/06/05 08:30 PM
aficionado
aficionado
JL,

Nice post, and welcome to the Axiom Message Board.

I can't say whether or not Axioms are right for you. That's a personal decision that we all have to make. Each of our tastes are different, as well are our ears. I can only tell you my experience with Axioms and why I choose them over others.

In my case, it's all about accuracy and purity. Being able to reproduce sound faithfully and accurately at any volume level without any distortion.

As a musician of 27 years, these things are key to me. Over the years I've owned many different speakers by various manufactures, but Axiom is the only one I've owned four systems from. They're outstanding speakers! Axiom produces outstanding speakers at an exceptional value, and their customer service is second to none.

You might be able to buy better, but you're going to pay a heck of a lot more for them, and even then, the level of improvement will be minor at best, based upon my experience anyways.

If you decide to give Axiom a try (remember they've got a 30 day trial), then I'd suggest at the very least, going with Axioms for your mains and center channel. You can mix and match brands, I just don't recommend it, due to a wide range of various reasons.

I hope I was able to help to some extent. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

Sutter

#119244 12/06/05 08:30 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

Let me say that I really like my Technics front speakers. I know they are not considered high end, but I’ve really enjoyed their sound and don’t really want to replace them. I do not like my center or rear speakers though.

I guess my question is; can I get a center and rear speakers from Axiom and keep my Technics? Will the difference in sound be too drastic?

Also, what makes axiom better than say JBL or Klipsh?

First let me say that if you like your Technics, by all means keep them! That is the whole point to this audio/video hobby is getting to the point that it pleases you.

Now, having said that, your Technics center should match your mains with the same timbre. If you purchase an Axiom center, you may find that it gives you a cleaner, clearer, fuller sound. Your fronts should all match. You may find that you will probably want to match your fronts and change your Technics to M22s or M60s, however.

What makes the Axiom speakers better than JBL or Klipsh IMO would be the higher quality test research facilities used to produce a technically superior product. IF you like the sound of , for example, JBL or Klipsh then all the numbers in the world should not convince you otherwise. You will notice that a lot of poeple get hung up on graphs and specs without even listening to a product.

Perhaps the proof will be in the pudding, as they say, and the best bet is to audition the Axioms. It will definitely be one of the single most significant upgrades you can do to your system.

#119245 12/06/05 08:38 PM
JLunden Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks for the replys everyone! I'm hoping to buy at least the 3 rears and center this month. As for my fronts, I'll get the center and hope the matching isnt too off from the Technic fronts. If it's an awful match, I'll think about maybe upgrading. I only have so much on the old credit card though.

-JL

#119246 12/06/05 08:40 PM
shareholder in the making
Welcome JL, hope you do decide on Axioms, you'll love them. I was in a similar situation about a year or so ago. I had my 80's Pioneer 4-ways (still have them), Advent Center, Infinity rears. My new system is light years ahead in the sound I'm hearing...

Randy

Axiom m60's vp150 ep500 4-Qs8's
Denon 2805
Sanyo Z2
Panny S97S DVD
10ft wide 2.35 screen
Prismasonic H600 Anamorphic lens...

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#119247 12/06/05 08:41 PM
JLunden Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
"The big deal with Axioms is that they are one of the more accurate (ie flat frequency response) speakers in the price range, and as a result they seem to do a better job than most of letting you hear all the detail in your recordings. Klipsch and JBL tend to emphasize certain frequency ranges (which many people prefer, I'm not just saying they are junk) so in general you get a more exciting sound with rock but a less enjoyable sound with a broad range of music or with movies (where a clear midrange is particularly important)."

the above statment makes me think that Axiom may not be the best speakers for a Home Theatre. I dont do anything but watch DVDs on my system. It's a dedicated DVD theatre. Is Axiom the wrong way to go? Are these more for music rooms?

Thanks
-JL

Last edited by JLunden; 12/06/05 08:47 PM.

#119248 12/06/05 08:49 PM
aficionado
aficionado
JL,

Not at all, my system is a dedicated theater system. I watch movies about 85% - 90% of the time.

One thing that's important to understand regarding this topic, is this; One of the main reasons why you hear so many of us talk about it's music reproduction, is because there is nothing more difficult to reproduce faithfully and accurately then music. Therefore, if speakers can reproduce music faithfully and accurately, then they're going to kill and rock hard in the home theater department, movies in other words.

Sutter

#119249 12/06/05 08:55 PM
JLunden Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I see. Thanks SutterCane.

P.S. SutterCane, I sent you an email concering something on your site. Hope thats ok.

-JL

#119250 12/06/05 08:58 PM
JL....Axioms will work great for both music and HT. They are the best speakers I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot in the past.

You might want to check the Audition Thread in the "Hearing Things forum" to see if there is an Axiomite in your area that will let you listen to these gems...

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082