Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Poll: Who's jazzed for the new King Kong movie
#119544 12/19/05 06:32 AM
axiomite
axiomite
"Pee-wee's Big Adventure"

Offbeat? Certainly. Entertaining? Absolutely. Weird? Yes.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
#119545 12/19/05 07:14 AM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Well, in all honesty, after watching the movie last night, the CG was good, but there were times when it kind of was unbelievable. But, with that said, I loved the movie. Jackson conveyed the messages intended very well, IMHO.

Also another note... saw it at my Local THX Certified Theater and mannnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!! The picture was incredible. I frequent that theater but for some odd reason, this movie just looked INCREDIBLE there.

Also, the sound was awesome. Definitely gonna be a show stopper at home! I'm definitely looking forward to this getting one!!!

Jon Liu Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's just too hard to read
#119546 12/19/05 07:38 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Lucas lost interest in directing humans, well, maybe during the original SW. Cameron is better at ideas than actual directing to be sure. But if trailers alone dictated what I'm going to see I wouldn't see anything. And as far as TB, well, yeah he knows how to tell a story. The same story every time: How the outsider/freak/weirdo/outcast wins/overcomes/gains respect in the end. Yawn. Looks good doing it though. Message to TB: You have a huge bank account and go home to snuggle with Helena Bonham Carter. Not quite sure you're the shunned outcast anymore.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
#119547 12/19/05 08:21 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Lucas lost interest in directing humans, well, maybe during the original SW.

I'll let Gabe and Tycho from penny Arcade go one step further.

In reply to:

Cameron is better at ideas than actual directing to be sure.

Ideas? A quick look at his IMBD entry shows his ideas fall into the catagories of "Water", "Aliens". "Aliens in Water", "Postapocalyptica(tm)", "Cop Thriller"... and then his first two productions, T2 (which is the best Terminator movie in the trilogy) and Point Break (which is a jewel in Patrick "hey, remember my butt from Dirty Dancing?" Swayze and Keanu "whoa, dude!" Reeves' crowns) T2 and PB were really good movies, in spite of themselves.

In reply to:

But if trailers alone dictated what I'm going to see I wouldn't see anything.

Hard for a movie crowned a blockbuster before the script is even written to get me to sit in a chair full of stale popcorn farts and go without a cigarette for 2 hours, but good films do come out.

In reply to:

And as far as TB, well, yeah he knows how to tell a story. The same story every time

Um, there are only really three basic storyline conflicts any movie can have - man vs man, man vs nature and man vs himself. He does take a lot of similar scripts, but he does what he does well, and produces "approachably" disturbing movies. Nothing that will melt your brain like Eraserhead, Blue Velvet or The Tin Drum, but none are the latest DiCaprio/Lohan convulsive squirts of Hollywood schlock.

Bren R.

#119548 12/19/05 07:38 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Hehe. That's why I mostly stick to my favorites. Noir starting with Citizen Kance (arguably the first, most say not really) and ending with A Touch of Evil (INarguably the last of the Golden Age noir films) is number one on my list. But I do loves me my explosions and so forth. I'll watch just about anything that happens across my DVD player. Sure Cameron has limited themes but in my opinion they are enjoyable. I don't look for world class screenplays and The New School acting performances in my action movies. T1 and 2 were the bomb. Aliens was good. True Lies was thoroughly enjoyable. The Abyss was awesome. Titanic was excruciating when the focus was away from the ship itself. I think a big reason was because JC strayed away from his usual "right actors for the role" philosophy. Dang it I was pulled away for half and hour now I lost my train of thougt. I guess I'll put it 2 ways:

Zen: It is what it is.

Popeye: I am what I am.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup