M80 PLACEMENT
#1205 01/27/02 10:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have read several reviews about the M80 and all of them are very positive. I'm planing to purachase the M80 but I have some concerns. I read reviews about the speakers from 'Sound Stage Magazine' and it was very positive except for that the placement of the speakers can be kind of tricky. Does the rear ports of the speaker make them dificult to place? If so what areyour best recomendations for placement for this speakers? The speakers have two ports in the back. Can you explaine what is the purpose of the two ports. I will apreciate any clarification. Thanks

Re: M80 PLACEMENT
#1206 01/27/02 02:20 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
The positioning of speakers (all speakers) that reproduce low frequencies is a room dependant equation. With bookshelf speakers, and floor standing speakers that do not produce much in the way of low frequencies, the positioning near a wall or corner will only tend to enhance frequencies that are lacking anyway, so if this phenomenon is going to happen in your room it will not manifest itself as an imbalance and maybe even an improvement. The rear porting on the M80s is really a bit of a red herring in this equation because it will occur whether the speaker is rear ported or not. Hence if you own speakers that are capable of reproducing low frequencies you may have to move them out from the wall a bit depending on your room acoustics. In my own room I have M80s and it was not necessary to move them out from the wall.

Ports are actually tuned to specific frequencies. Basically the longer the port the lower the frequency but the larger the diameter of the port the longer it needs to be to accomplish the same tuning frequency as a smaller diameter port. Hence by using 3 ports we are able to have the volume of air required for the M80s but do not need to have the very long length that would be required if we used a single port.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer

Ian Colquhoun
#1207 01/27/02 07:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If the truth be known, most speakers are tricky to place. If you simply set them up and leave them, you could be missing something. As with most things in audio, especially speakers, it requires some tuning. Set the speakers up, listen and note what you like, and move them slighly and listen again. I have rarley seen an incident where someon gets it right the first time. In fact, several dealers I frequent have noted on the floor where certain speakers sound best. These notations are made after many hours of experimentation. Of course, you home is not only for stereo equipment (it hurts to say that!!!) but for living. This needs to temper your placement.

Incidently, Axiom once offered their top of the line model AX5 with a rear firing subwoofer.....THAT was a tricky placement in most cases!!

Regards,

BBIBH

#1208 01/28/02 05:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the quick response and the information. I have one more question. Does the M80s have internal bracing systems or separate chambers for each driver as so many speakers are doing this days like Paradigms and B&Ws. If so in the M80s are the drivers chambered indibidualy or by pairs since the M80s have two each tweters, midranges and woofers. I'm courious about this since it has been mentioned by these manufactures (Mentioned above) that this type of configuration will help to eliminate standing waves inside the cabinet.

Thanks

Ed

#1209 01/28/02 12:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Axiom has been using this technique for many years. I have a pair of AX3 (circa 1990) that have this. I recently posted a question to Ian asking if this was still in practice, and here is a direct quote:

"Both the M60s and the M80s have the separate internal cabinets. The dual 6 1/2" woofers are also crossed over to act like sub-woofers similar to the old AX3s and AX5s. This is the best way to get the advantages of both a two-way system and a three-way system without the compromises inherent in each."

Regards,

BBIBH

#1210 01/28/02 01:20 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
The answer to your question is yes. The M80s utilize 3 wrap around internal braces plus two individual cabinets for each of the 5 1/4" mid/bass woofers. Standing waves is a topic we know a lot about and hence the shape of our cabinets. The standing wave problem being discussed by "the other guys" actually has nothing to do with the elimination of standing waves, like our cabinet shape does, but rather the detrimental effect of the standing waves created by one driver affecting the other drivers that are reproducing different frequency ranges. Their concern is valid and we have addressed it also.

Ian Colquhoun

Ian Colquhoun
#1211 01/28/02 05:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ian

Again thanks for your quick response and the same for BBIBH.

On your response you mentioned that your company has addressed the following issue; "the detrimental effect of the standing waves created by one driver affecting the other drivers that are reproducing different frequency ranges". Does this means that you have resolve this problem in the M80s or that your R&D department is working on resolving this issue. Does your company make their onwn component ie woofers drivers, midarage drivers, tweeters and crossovers? Do the speakers come with spikes for carpets and footers for hardwood floors?

Sorry for all this questions but when one is planing to purachase a product without listening to it, one have to be very sure of the product before buying it. Even with the 30 days money back guarantee.

Thanks

Ed

#1212 01/29/02 10:43 AM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Yes, the M80s have no standing wave interference between the woofers. All of our components are specifically ours and each one is designed for its exact purpose in the model it is being used in. All of our floor standing speakers and sub woofers come with both spikes and regular feet to suit any floor covering you may have. Hope all this helps with your decision and we are always happy to answer any questions you may have.

Ian Colquhoun

Ian Colquhoun
#1213 01/29/02 07:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So if I may be so bold as to directly quote you:

"All of our components are specifically ours and each one is designed for its exact purpose in the model it is being used in"

Do you mean that drivers are individually designed for each model? There is no common driver used in multiple models?

Regards,

BBIBH

#1214 01/30/02 11:17 AM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
This is correct; they are designed for the model they are used in. The same driver may be used in more than one model but only if the design called for it to be the same. Hence there are multiple versions of each of our drivers even though the look the same from the front view.

Ian Colquhoun

Ian Colquhoun

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615