Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Dorm Room System
#120995 12/22/05 07:57 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Alright, I'm going to mount my back surrounds. I got the QS4's, and really, I don't feel guilty at all getting them. They should fill the room great. The QS8's might be overkill.

Anyways, these are going in my...bedroom for now. Basically, I'm going to put permanent brackets up in my room, and make others for my dorm room.

My room I think is the perfect setup for a small home theater, the room is very ideal.

It is 11x11x8 with a 3x3 doorway attatched.

Basically, I need to put the speakers on the back wall. My bed is butted up against the back wall, and it is the main seating area.

I was thinking about putting my speakers on the side walls just to the right and left of my bed, but I would need to put them way too high (I have a in-wall shelf on one side) and they would be very close to the corner and ceiling, about one foot from the corner and 6 inches from the ceiling

I don't have drywall, I have thick wood paneling that should hold any screw well. The only studs I can find are the horizontal studs. One runs right at 5 feet and 3 inches.

I've taped up the brackets at those positions, four feet from the center, about one foot from the walls, and 5 feet 3 inches (top of bracket) from the floor.

I like the horizontal position, should I try to go higher with the surrounds? Remember, I'm sitting on a bed on the back wall, where some people may be as close as 2 feet and at max 5. When I'm sitting on the bed I am about 7 feet from the front speakers.

P.S. My sister woke up, saw the speakers and said "Ho, haha, those are HUGE"

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
#120996 12/23/05 03:13 AM
shareholder in the making
Dan, separated 8-9' and 5-6' up on the back wall should be fine.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#120997 12/23/05 08:44 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
All mounted, once the cables come from Blue Jeans Cable I will be a happy kid...without a subwoofer.

Pics soon to come.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
#120998 12/24/05 03:41 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Ok, I couldn't wait any longer.

Yea, I ran to radio shack and got a spool of mediocre speaker cable because I couldn't wait for the USPS to drop bluejeanscable off in a few days.

So, I have wires strung across my room like clotheslines, but I don't care. Holy crap. Let me say it again...holy crap. I've listened to albums over and over and over...and over again just for good measure, and just by listening to songs once, I'm like...I never heard THAT before!

Anyways I'm very impressed how the Neo:6 Music mode creates surround sound out of...two channels. I'm here listening to queen sitting utterly amazed.

Anyways...the M22's have a definate lack in bass. However, I can see and hear where a sub would match perfectly with them. When that day comes, I will be a happy man.

I dunno how people can complain with the QS4's...I mean they say they don't match "tonaly" with other speakers in a Pink Noise test....but they are mostly used for reverbs and other effects, I can't complain.

Pics soon!

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
#120999 12/24/05 04:47 AM
I don't think many people do complain with the QS4s... I think a lot of QS8 folks don't even consider the 4s. I know what you mean about the pink noise test; that made me a little nervous when I heard it, but man, do they sound good on real stuff!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#121000 12/24/05 04:58 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Um yea...I also realized the speakers sound VERY different when you move around during the pink noise test, i could even tell the difference between my m22ti's left and right in the pink noise.

A ton of stuff I see going around on these boards is almost all psychological. It sucks becoming an audiophile because you strain your ears to find little discrepencies in your sound system (like I have been doing wondering if I had M60's) when you should just sit down and listen to the amazing sound system you have.

I watched a little inkling of the intro to Matrix:Reloaded...no sub, just to see the surrounds get a workout. I like my surrounds louder so I can hear them almost all the time, so I turned them up, and when all the matrix sounds were flying around me (the high pitched, computerized stuff) whenever the green matrix code comes up, I wasn't thinking,"Oh, the QS8's would have definately done a better matching tonally with my mains."

Once you get into the movie, or music, I really hope you guys arn't thinking of how the tinyest dip in a frequency is ruining the movie. I just get immersed in an amazing sound system.

Ok, enough speech.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
#121001 12/24/05 05:21 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Wait till you get your sub and play that movie. It is going to add another wow factor to your experiance.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#121002 12/25/05 03:46 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Hmm...the new cables made a HUGE improvement over the 16 guage radio shack speaker cables. My M22's have bass now. Pretty amazing.

Anyways, I took pictures. So, here are a few to give you an idea of my situation.

My layout. Arn't them M22's so PURDY? Notice the 25 year old TV. Makes the M22's look retro style sorta. But, I care for sound much more than video, and the TV works so I'm ok. At college I have a 20 inch Widescreen monitor waiting. And the desk is about...a foot narrower. Cramped quarters.

Receiver and family DVD player I stole from downstairs that miraculously had digital output. And the SUBWOOFER (ahem FedEx) cable waiting patiently.

My awesome wiring job. It's an 18 year old boy's room, what can you expect?

My spacious seating area and surrounds flanking it.

Mmm...boxes.

Shunned radioshack cables. They worked well...for a day to ease my anxiousness.

This picture I felt gives my room depth...sortof. All my trophies hastily pushed to the side in preparation for...reciever.

The TV is so old it needs an RF modulator. AKA, used VCR.

Everyone posing for a picture. AVIA DVD to be used when the sub arries, the CD I am imposing the entire house to listen to, the Radio shack SPL meter, mp3 player to test stuff (regretfully I can't use its optical output because i need some converter cable or something)...and the crucial little adapter for my soundcard on my PC.

Alright...the sub is probably going right under my desk or to the left in the corner...when it gets here. Can't wait. Sorry for the many pictures. I hope I didn't kill someone with 56k or something.

Last edited by danmagicman7; 12/25/05 03:56 AM.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
#121003 12/25/05 03:59 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey, where's the photos of the chicks, man?

Thanks for sharing...photos are much appreciated around here.

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

#121004 12/25/05 04:07 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Nice setup, one thing you might want to do is get the DVD player off the top of the receiver. You should let the receiver vent the hot air as much as possible.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters