VP100 questions
#1215 01/27/02 05:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've got a set of B&W Matrix2 Series2 mains driven by a Arcam AVR100. I'm looking to add the VP100 to the mix here and use a older pair of JBL bookshelves to round out the rear. So my question is, will the VP100 mix well with the mains and my amp? My main concern is listening (musical ability) first and DVD/surround sound second.

thanks,

Peter Clark

Re: VP100 questions
#1216 01/27/02 07:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You should have no problem with this mixture. Your only issue could be the change of tonal quality when a voice "moves" from one speaker to another. This can make things harder to follow.

In terms of music, quality listening will not require the center. The Arcam is a solid midfi piece, and the B&W's are also of good quality, albeit getting along in years. The weak link would be the JBL's in the HT area.

But hey, your main thinking is music correct?

Regards,

BBIBH

#1217 01/30/02 11:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah, I guess the B&W's are getting a bit long in tooth, but they do sound good. I spent hours listening to them against new speakers trying to determine what I wanted. In the end I ended up with the scratch and dent matrixII's I have for $200/ea. Even the Arcam was scratch and dent (dealer demo). Musically, it sounds really great.( although I would argue it sounds better to me than other AV amps much more expensive) I won't know about surround sound for a while until I get the whole kit finished out.

thanks for the reply.

#1218 01/31/02 04:37 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sounds like a couple of good deals!
B&W did make quality speakers within there line. They are somewhat of a pioneer in the field. You could be happy with them for years, or days, as that is the nature of this beast we can audio.

Keep us up todate on your progress!

Regards,

BBIBH

#1219 02/05/02 02:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just received my scratch and dent vp100.
Can't find the scratch nor the dent. ;-) So far I'm pleased, it sounds very good. I'm not sure how much breaking in the center channel will take. Any ideas what I should expect for break in time for the center? Is there break in time for a center? What should I expect?

regards,

Peter

Buzz in the Center...(was VP100 questions)
#1220 02/05/02 03:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
one more question...I'm finding there's a buzz coming from the center. This is coming in stereo mode when I'm bypassing the center for the mains. It's not really obvious, but there nontheless. Any ideas?

Re: Buzz in the Center...(was VP100 questions)
#1221 02/05/02 04:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you substitute another speaker for the center, is it still there? If it is on another speaker wired in the center channel, this would eliminate the speaker itself. Have you verified the connections of all interconnects and speakers as being correct for phase, and if they have metal casings, they are not shorting on the equipment cases?

Does it happen on low level (volume turned down) listening/watching of any other type? If so, you may have a ground loop problem....but it should be audible on all recordings.

I would hesitate to say based on what you have provided that it is the amp/receiver causing the buzz.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1222 02/05/02 04:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
This is another "well discussed" topic in audio. Some say speakers require no break in periods, and others say they do. I believe they do, and several hours of moderate volume should cover it.
I think Ian made mention somewhere about 5 hours (if memory serves), and as he designed them, he should know!

You have nothing to lose, except a few hours of lower volume listening to lose by breaking them in. On the other hand you could damage them by not breaking them in....especially if Ian is right (and I am sure he is).

Regards,

BBIBH

#1223 02/05/02 06:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I checked the connections first. They are all tight and do not seem to be touching any other part of the amplifier chassis.
I'll swap out with another speaker tonight. Assuming it's not the speaker, what should I do to eliminate the buzz? Could it be coming from the power source (power bar the amp's plugged into)? Something with the amp itself?

#1224 02/05/02 06:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well, it is hard to say. I remember once that a coil of speaker wire was laying across a poor quality power bar and it was causing an inductive hum. My background in electronic/electrical engineering tells me theoretcially that this is going to happen, but it does not always happen. Is the are clear of any other intereference sources? Is the electrical circuit stable and properly grounded? I don't believe this is an issue, because it would/could cause greater noise across the board.

Do you get this in any source when played? You can try isolating the amp and speakers from the source by unplugging the input side of the source connectors into the amp, and checking the noise.

Can you swap out the amp for another? It is not inconceivable that you have a channel problem. But that is a major statement. How old is the piece? What is the piece?

I think you need to isolate the probable sources of the problem. Try the speaker first. If the replacement also exhibits the noise, I would suggest moving towards isolating the amp.

Regards,

BBIBH

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082