Print Thread
Rate Thread
Connecting Multiple Sets of Speakers
#122563 12/31/05 05:32 PM
B
bdog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I have a question about setting up speakers. I have a room that is 20x30 with vaulted ceilings. I would like to connect 4 3mti to fill the room with background music for parties. I would like to expand into other rooms and outside at a later date. I currently have an old Kenwood KRV95R receiver. I think I understand that I can not run both A/B at the same time. What do I do? Do I need a speaker selector box? How do I set that up? I will probably be upgrading receivers later and would like to get a surround system that could also control multiple sets of speakers. Can anyone give advice. I want to make all the right steps in the right order.

Brian Wright

Re: Connecting Multiple Sets of Speakers
#122564 01/02/06 02:45 AM
local
local
1) I'm not aware of a receiver that has A/B options that will not run both at the same time if you want.

2) I have a Russound 4.1 speaker selector that works well for my needs. I did not shop around and compare the options, I simply took what the professional installer recommended so I don't know what else is out there.

http://www.futurehomesystems.com/a500.shtml

3) Many receivers are currently available that will do two zones. If you are going to want more than that you will likely need a speaker selector of some sort. But if I could accomplish everything with simply getting a 2 zone receiver I would plan to do that rather than the speaker selector, etc.

4) Not all receivers will drive the multiple zones well when asked to do so as the resistance is very low. I had a low end Yamaha rated at 100 wpc that couldn't handle the load, but my HK AVR 235 rated at 55 wpc does very well.

So, the short answer is go with the current receiver with the A/B speakers until you upgrade and then when you do, get a multizone receiver if that will work for you geographically, etc. If not, get a speaker selector and make sure you have a good receiver/amp (similar to what is recommended for the 4 ohm M80s, stick with HK, Denon, good seperates or something that somebody here says will drive a low resistance load).

I hope that helps.

#122565 01/02/06 05:30 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The Denon 3805 is a multi room music system, which also enables you to control 3 zones as well as switch from A to B or use both in surround mode. I'm very happy with the unit. You can also look at the manuals on Denons website. Hope this helps.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
#122566 01/02/06 06:27 AM
B
bdog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hey guys thanks for the reply. I guess I was concerned about receiver over heating and being damaged. I have figured out that my current receiver a/b speakers are wired in series, and on the back it has an impedance selector for either A or B 8ohms or less A&B any speaker, or A or B 8+ohms. So if I understand I will select A or B 8ohms or less A&B any speaker, and connect all 4 M3ti.Does that make sence? Can some one explain that to me? Now I have been comparing Denon AVR 3805 and the Yamaha RX-V2500. What is truly the difference in quality and sound.
Thanks Again

#122567 01/03/06 05:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi bdog,

Wiring speakers in series is a no-no if you want smooth, linear response. It's true that some brands of receivers used this ploy to prevent the combined impedance of several pairs of speakers from falling to 4 ohms or less, but what may happen with series speaker connection is that the varying impedance curve of one speaker affects the frequency response of every speaker connected in series. Few loudspeakers have straight, linear impedance curves, so series connection of quality speakers should be avoided.

Foghorn's advice is excellent. In your case, go with the Denon over the Yamaha. Like H/K, Denons tend to have more robust amplifiers that will drive lower impedances without problems.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#122568 01/04/06 02:17 PM
aficionado
aficionado
What about using something like this niles ssvc6 with a denon 485s or similar receiver

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
#122569 01/04/06 05:54 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Brian, I'm not sure if this will help, but have you considered something like the Parts Express Speaker Distribution panel and associated Impedance matching volume control?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters