Print Thread
Rate Thread
A/V Cable questionss
#122570 12/31/05 06:02 PM
WJJ Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
While studying for my own future system and room layout, I am helping a nephew set up his new 5.1 system, Marantz 4500 and all Infinity Primus speakers. I am not sure of the DVD player(which he also uses to play CD's) and he has a new awesome 62" Hitachi TV. I have not set up a system in the last ten years, and the connections seem to have become more numerous/complicated.

For the DVD hook-up to receiver, there seems to be a choice of the 3 connection "component video" or the "S-Video. Which is best??

Same question for the hook up from the Receiver to the TV??

From the DVD player to the receiver, there is an option for a Coaxial or Optical connection. What is this for? Does it replace the audio part of the Component video connection?? Does this connection upgrade the sound?

The receiver only has an RCA output for the subwoofer, cannot use standard wire, is this normal now??

TV cable input....currently is into the TV. How to get the cable surround signals into the receiver? I am not now looking at the TV, would it have an ouput to the reiver, and the receiver an input from the TV??

I know these are basic questions, but I want to get it right. Any other cable/interconnect suggestions or help will be appreciated.

Wayne

Re: A/V Cable questionss
#122571 12/31/05 06:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Wayne, I've to run to the store. Company is coming. I'm sure others will be along soon with some good answers to your questions. While you're waiting, you might peruse How To Connect Your Home Theater. You'll find some useful info, and the guys can clarify anything that still puzzles you.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#122572 01/01/06 02:11 AM
shareholder in the making
Wayne, let me also add my welcome. Was sorry to read about the damage Katrina did to you, counsellor. For video an S-Video connection generally results in a significantly better picture than a composite video cable. The three cable component video connection usually brings some further benefit, although perhaps not to the degree that the S-Video connection does. These comments would apply to both the player to receiver and receiver to TV connection. The cable TV can also be connected to the receiver.

The coaxial or optical connections are for digital connections carrying audio, not video. The above mentioned S-Video, etc. connections pertain only to video and carry no sound. Generally, the coaxial connection would be slightly preferred, as being sturdier than the optical. There should be no difference in sound quality.

Ordinarily, yes, it's suggested to use a coaxial cable with an RCA connector on each end for the subwoofer connection. With nearly all subs, however, there's provision for making an alternative connection with speaker wire from the speaker outputs on the receiver; there's rarely a good reason for doing so since the bass management of the receiver uses the coaxial sub output.

Note that it isn't necessary to pay the outrageous amounts some sellers charge for such cables. They perform a technologically trivial task and are available at quite low cost from sources such as MonoPrice, Triangle, Parts Express, and others which are mentioned on the board.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#122573 01/01/06 04:46 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I would say to use the coaxial cable, that will cost you about 50$ or so, the bass output, you can use any kind of rca cable, just as long as it is of enough length, if you go to the store you will see “subwoffer” cable, all it that means is “hey I’m an ordinary rca cable, but pay more for me, because I’m labeled a subwoofer cable” this should cost about 10-30$ depending on how long you need.. for video, if you don’t have composit video, which I don’t think you mentioned, this is the red/blue/green each color has it’s own cable and provides the best picture quality, because there is no blead over, in the signal between each color(I think). Other wise use S video, this produces a very crisp and sharp picture, I would say get 6’ or so, even if you don’t need it all. This should cost about 15$ or so X2.. the best way to get the cable input from the cable to the receiver would be to get a cable box. If this isn’t a option, you could possible take the audio out from the tv, and run that to one of the inputs to the receiver, then go into the tv settings and set them appropriately.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/cables.html

axiom makes some Very good cables, they have gotten excellent reviews by everyone who as reviewed their cables.

I would say don’t buy the cheapest cables that you find, but like johnk said don’t pay an outrages amount either. I think I gave you a pretty good idea of what to spend, you could probably plan on spending 50-100$ total on cables including speaker cable, I would say get 12 gage speaker wire, if you guys haven’t already gotten that taken care of.

#122574 01/01/06 07:39 PM
WJJ Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Thanks for the kind words, and for the info. I think I understand most of the connections now. BUt to clarify, the component video connection is higher quality than the S video, correct?? And for audio, optical and co-ax, co-ax is best??

No-one mentioned the DVD Audio, is this a future source, not yet common??

Thanks again, Wayne

#122575 01/01/06 08:13 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
---But to clarify, the component video connection is higher quality than the S video, correct?? ----

Yes this is due to splitting the video into three seperate channels.

-- And for audio, optical and co-ax, co-ax is best?? --

As was stated the coaxial is sturdier than the optical no
difference in sound.

No-one mentioned the DVD Audio, is this a future source, not yet common??

There are two other type of connections you may see the DVI and HDMI which replaces DVI.

DVI (Digital Visual Interface)
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DVI.html

and
HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface)
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/H/HDMI.html

DVI only handles digital Video

HDMI is the new interface for Digital Audio and Video in one cable. The cables are rather spendy but sure cuts down on the rats nest.

Now that I have mentioned these I would use an HDMI cable if you get one when you purchase a DVD player if you can as this is an all digital signial fro audio and video

Hope this helps

Jerry

Last edited by JerryJ; 01/01/06 08:14 PM.

Panny TH-42PX50U Sony STR-DB930 Samsung DVD-HD850 JBL SCS125 Someday M60,VP150,QS8,EP500
#122576 01/01/06 08:18 PM
Jerry, I'm afraid you didn't quite get the gist of the DVD-Audio question; DVD-Audio is a particular type of DVD that only has (uncompressed) audio on it; usually multichannel audio. That is normally hooked up with 6 coaxial cables with RCA cables on each end, although if you have both a player and receiver from Denon (and some others, I think), there are proprietary digital links (firewire, DenonLINK, etc) that will carry the whole signal without the extra cables. SACD is a similar format.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#122577 01/01/06 08:22 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Thanks
You are right I meant to delete that part of his original message out of my post.

I hope I did not confuse the issue with the DVI and HDMI cables

Panny TH-42PX50U Sony STR-DB930 Samsung DVD-HD850 JBL SCS125 Someday M60,VP150,QS8,EP500
#122578 01/01/06 11:09 PM
veteran
veteran
It looks like you have most of your questions answered, however you may find this article useful, it descibes all the different types of cables and what they are used for.

#122579 01/02/06 02:45 PM
WJJ Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Great info, thanks again to all. With a little study of the information posted I should be able to set this system put together.

Wayne

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters