Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: CD changers again - Alan's post
#122769 01/31/06 04:55 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I noticed the same thing the other night and haven't figured out what to do about it. But then again, I still haven't read the instructions.

One other gripe I have (that reading the instructions might cure), is when I shut them down after playing all disks / no delay, and then power them back up, it defaults to single disk play.

Hey Tom,
One more question (you tired of hearing that yet ? ). I'm going to get that panther software and the black box. My G-friend has donated her old laptop to the cause that we can leave hooked up to the changers. But, the closest LAN connection for my home network is a good twenty feet away. And no, I don't have wireless, and don't really want to either. Will this work? Do I need to be on the net while plugged into the machines for the software to recognize the disks?

#122770 01/31/06 05:04 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Mike and 'Trane,

I understand about the skip button going to a new disk in the same player instead of to the other player. I experience the same thing. If there is a way around it, I don't know what it is. I think the "trigger" for the machine to switch players is the end of a song, so you could fast forward through it instead of skip, but that doesn't really work well.

Mike, when I turn my machines off, they stay on "all disks - shuffle". I only turn off the master unit (which then powers down the other one). I power on the main unit (which again, powers up the slave), and then hit No delay - Play and I'm back to all disks shuffle between the two players. It could be because you have nicer, newer units than I do or some other nuance between the model numbers.

As far as the SAVR and software, you only have to have it connected to the internet when you are doing an inventory search. The software will sequentially load the disks and search for and download information about them. After you do this (which will take a very long time - queue it up to run overnight) and clean up some data entry, the only time you'll need to be connected to the internet is when you want the software to "recognize" a disk that was not previously loaded into the players.

After you have the database set up on the laptop, you can tell the software to upload the artist and album information to the players.

So, you'll need to be connected for batch mode updates, but not for everyday use. Make sense?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#122771 01/31/06 05:08 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
One more thing about the SAVR and Music! software:

For it to run, you must have the players set on all disks - Continue. Seriously. This is important. You'll want to kick the crap out of me and major appliances if you forget this step.

Brotherbob was pondering getting this setup as well, but I understand he packed his gear away I don't know if he got the Panther software or the McClain software. Panther Music! is okay, but it's not perfect.

#122772 01/31/06 05:58 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Mike and Tom,

Thanks for the replies. I was really frustrated when I found out that I couldn't skip over a track without a delay. This almost negates any benefit of daisy-chaining for me. Tom you are right, holding FF "works" because I tried it but doesn't "work well" as you state.

Regarding Mike's problem on shutdown...the manual states "even if you press stop or turn off the player during ALL DISCS shuffle play, the player remembers which discs or tracks were played and which were not." Like Tom, I think my units also remember the play mode when I power back up - I just got them yesterday so I'm not sure.

Does anyone know how to rip a CD from Windows Media Player so the "CD text" is also on the CD so these changers can recognize the tracks? My entire CD library is already in Media Player complete with all the necessary track/album info. Thanks again.

#122773 01/31/06 09:33 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I started checking into Toms software, then saw in big red letters on the site that they have stopped development on the eSAVR software. Thinking that was what Tom was referring to, I figured they were on their way to going out of business! I guess the eSAVR software is different than the SAVR software, though!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#122774 01/31/06 09:53 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Hey Tom,

“One more question”….lol

The Panther package comes with their ‘latest’ software and the SAVR2. They have two choices for software. TitleTrack Jukebox package for $209, and the Music! Jukebox! package for $149

The William C. McCain package is $75.00 for the SAVR2 and software.

Quite a cost disparity between these. Is one better than the other. They all look as if they have the same functionality to me.

Both also claim to not have that lag between players you mentioned earlier. Maybe they fixed the problem? Or do you have the current software?

Which one would you recommend?

#122775 01/31/06 11:57 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Titletrack was purchased by Panther from the original developer. It was Originally only for the Mac. That's why I did not choose it.

I have had decent if unspectacular support for Music!. These are not companies, but individuals.

Frankly, I'd buy the cheap one from McCain. The cost disparity was nothing like that when I got mine (6 months ago, maybe?)

Remember, they are all going to try to get you to hook up your players using a mixer and connect them independently to the SAVR (rather than daisy-chained like you have them now). This means that you cannot use the native Sony network (No Delay, etc.) controls anymore - and that you must always use the SAVR Player software to do any multi-player operations. You might inquire with McCain whether his WILL WORK using the daisy chain method. I know that Music! will work this way, but that when I complain about anything, the answer is always that I should have the players hooked up independently instead of daisy-chained.

You have no idea what my hourly consulting rates are, do you?

#122776 02/01/06 01:27 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Consulting fee? You mean the joy of helping out a fella mega-changer-ite isn't enough.....? LOL

Here's the response I got back from Bill.

-------------

Bill,

I have two Sony’s daisy chained together and use them ‘no-delay’ setting.

Will your software work in this configuration?

RE:

Hi Mike -

Yes.

However, the ‘no-delay’ setting of the CHANGER is irrelevant when our
software (Disc Library or Music Library) is controlling the changer. We
control both changers -- they must NOT be operated in "mega mode" as
that will conflict with OUR control commands.

Out software provides its OWN equivalent of the ‘no-delay’ setting.
When playing in our "shuffle" modes, we automatically alternate
selections between changers, and pre-cue them for ‘no-delay’ operation.
Also, when editing a Play List with our software, you can click on an
"Alternate" button, which re-arranges the selections so that the
alternate between players. Play Lists are also run in pre-cued
‘no-delay’ mode, whenever the next selection is from a different CD changer.

Because we operate all changers directly from our PC software, it is
preferable to NOT daisy-chain them, although it is supported (as long as
they are not in "mega mode"). For best performance, it is better to
connect each CD changer directly to a separate "S-Link" port on the
adapter (SAVR2 or Slink-e). This minimizes the "bus contention" and
optimizes the performance.

Bill

#122777 02/01/06 04:46 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Of course it is, Mike.

Sounds like you're good-to-go. If you like that software, I might get it, too. Keep me posted.

#122778 02/01/06 04:39 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Just ordered it. I'll give an update when I get it all set up.

I suspect that I'll just use it once to store the data in the machinces, then maybe on rare occasion when I have the patience to boot up the lap top.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters