Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Help me explain the birds & the bees to my sons!
#123166 01/06/06 05:01 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
OK, it was a desperate ploy to get you to look, but I need some help/suggestions from the great body of knowledge on this board.

My oldest son (13) in particular has been getting more and more into music. Makes a dad proud! He's got a nice little stereo system with a pair of M2s and my old NAD integrated amp, etc. This Christmas I gave him my dad's old turntable since he has been very interested in vinyl as of late.

Now he's been reading about equipment (and has watched me buy and sell tons of it over the years), and has started asking me questions. So I need some assistance.

The plan for this weekend was taking him through some test tones so we can both become more familiar with what 200Hz sounds like vs. 1Khz sounds like vs 2.4Khz, etc. (We're pretty familiar with what sub 60 Hz sounds like already! )

I've been trying to help him understand imaging and soundstage. In addition to Axioms in the house (M22 and M3 as well as the M2) I also have Maggies and Dynaudios. So we'll also play around with how imaging and soundstage differ with speakers & placement as well.

I'm looking for suggestions of recordings that will help demonstrate both imaging and soundstage. Between albums and CDs I've got about a 1,000 titles, but I can't come up with any great ideas to use for the demonstration. My tastes are pretty eclectic, and the titles have a wide range, but are almost completely devoid of any classical music -- which I'm assuming would provide some of the best examples.

I'm happy to go out and buy something (of any style/genre) specifically for this lesson. If you good folks could suggest recordings (2 channel please!) that would help demonstrate these concepts. I'm also assuming that someone will suggest something that may already be in the collection.

Any notes or comments on what the recordings demonstrate ("you can hear Eric Clapton's guitar move from the right rear stage, cross in front of BB King at center stage, and then move to the left of Al Kooper on stage left just as Al hits the triangle on...") would be most appreciated.

Edit Addition: I'm guessing some of the demo tracks people like to use when auditioning speakers would also be a good source since folks are often evaluating imaging & soundstage.

I'm really looking forward to spending the weekend doing this with my boys, so thanks in advance for all of your assistance!

Take care,
Rich

Last edited by samandnoah; 01/06/06 05:31 PM.
Re: Help me explain the birds & the bees to my sons!
#123167 01/06/06 10:55 PM
aficionado
aficionado
May not be the greatest piece of music, but Sabbath's Paranoid puts Ozzy far in the back middle and the lead guitar far out front. Ozzy falling into the back was less dramatic on my M60s than on my MAs, but you might give that one a listen.
Good luck.

#123168 01/07/06 05:02 AM
shareholder in the making
Rich, your "almost completely devoid of classical music" status must be corrected; you owe it to your son! There's a whole world of great music waiting for you out there, all it takes is to give a listen. Yes, the breadth and depth of sound created by full orchestras can give audio equipment a good workout in regard to imaging and dynamics. For a start I'll again suggest the terrific Mehta Planets and Swan Lake . Add some Falla Ballets, Ma Vlast, and Carmina Burana .

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#123169 01/07/06 06:38 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I truly believe all the classical music has helped my son's auditory memory and language acquisition. He's awfully sharp - despite my wife's genetic contribution.

Re: Help me explain the birds & the bees to my son
#123170 01/07/06 06:49 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Albums mixed with Qsound might be an idea. I'm not sure you'll actually like the so-called 3D effect it's suppose to produce, but I think these recordings might be useful in your demonstration. You can check out some demos on the website.

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
#123171 01/08/06 06:09 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
JohnK--

Thanks for the assistance! Yep, I searched the topic, and from of your earlier recommendations got the Planets and the Rimsky-Korsakov recordings. Already owned Beethoven's 9th. I will definitely check into some of the others you suggested.

The boys thoroughly enjoyed listening to these. OK, I'll confess I enjoyed them as well. But I did follow it up with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon as well!

We had a lot of fun closing our eyes, listening, and then discussing where the different sections of the orchestra were. My older son plays the trombone in band, and the younger one plays the bass in orchestra, so they had some context for all of this.

I really appreciated the input, so thanks again.

Bigwill2 & sonicfox -- thanks for the ideas as well. I couldn't find my copy of Paranoid (hmm, makes we wonder if somebody wandered off with it some time back -- as well as my early Genesis albums). I checked into that link for Qsound. Looked interesting, but the need to have the codec ruled it out. Kind of reminded me of the old "stereo demonstration" records my dad had in the early "hifi" days of the early '60s.

Take care,
Rich

#123172 01/09/06 07:09 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

He's awfully sharp - despite my wife's genetic contribution.

Man, you better hope she doesn't see that!!

Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
#123173 01/09/06 07:20 PM
Case in point: she married him, didn't she?

kidding, Mark. kidding.

#123174 01/09/06 09:59 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I didn't marry her for her wit. Here's a shot from this morning:

http://forums.geekissues.org/carnival/58578_nice%20ass.jpg

That pic might help with the birds and the bees thing, too.

#123175 01/09/06 10:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Warning! That link is not....for the faint of heart.

Bigwill, yeah right!

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943