Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Help me explain the birds & the bees to my sons!
#123186 01/11/06 11:25 PM
old hand
old hand
In reply to:

I checked into that link for Qsound. Looked interesting, but the need to have the codec ruled it out.

Just to clarify, I'm quite certain there is no codec required to hear the benefits of a recording mastered in QSound. My CDP is nothing special (NAD C542) and the QSound effects on Roger Waters's "Amused to Death" are quite apparent (and awesome!). Holophonics is a similar process, of which Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut" is an enjoyable example. These albums can make a room disappear.

About the codec, my guess is it has to do with taking a recording and making it sound 3D, similar to when Pro Logic approximates a stereo signal into surround sound.

Axiom M60ti Hsu VTF-2 Mk2 NAD C320BEE NAD C542 Systemdek IIX Cables by Unity Audio
#123187 01/12/06 01:09 AM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Got it. Thanks for the clarification. When I looked at the link (and not very carefully, I guess!) I guess I misunderstood the list of HW by CE Manufacturers. So when I saw the list of recordings done in QSound, I assumed it required a specific player.

I will definitely have to check it out again!

Rich

#123188 01/17/06 06:51 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
How do you Dynaudios compare to your axiom’s? I know there in 2 different leagues.. I have dyn’s in my car, and they sound wonderful.. always wondered how their home speakers sounded.. I have epic 60/600 system..

Sorry for the WAY off topic question, but was just wondering and had to ask.

#123189 01/18/06 02:20 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Hey dakkon--

How do they compare? Well, to start with, in the Axiom family I own m2tis (son's bedroom), m3tis (wife's office), and m22tis (& VP150 and QS8s) for the home theater set-up. Obviously by the large number of Axiom speakers I own, I'm pretty damn happy with them!

The Dynaudios are for my stereo listening (where I also have a pair of Maggies). I've only done direct compares btw the Dyns and the Axiom m22tis. Without a sub, the most obvious difference is performance below 60Hz. The Dyns have better extension and presence. But it's really the Dynaudio tweeter that sings.

I don't quite have the words for it. I just love the way they sound. Lush? Engaging? It may not have the linearity of Axioms, and maybe I'm being "deceived" by some audio engineer's chicanery, but ignorance is bliss. Further, in this particular room, there is a larger soundstage and remarkable depth that I couldn't quite coax out of the Axioms. But the Axioms performed really, really well.

My fascination with Dynaudios began about 20 years ago when I had heard them but couldn't afford them. Perhaps it's like your first love, and you still find yourself attracted to similar looking people many years later?! I purchased this pair used after auditioning them.

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Regards,
Rich

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082