(this post comes from the "A-weighted, C-weighted" discussion about noise.)

How can be determined just by listening at the hiss, if the noise is either pink, white, or 1/f? I mean, that is what I understood from the post above, and it will be very a interesting fact, that just listening at the noise on my system, I could pinpoint the source. I was in believe that the hiss in my system is just a 60Hz hum I haven´t been able to fix, but after that post, and some troubleshooting I did, I certainly suspect more than a little of the electronics.

I can listen the noise at normal levels in my room. I mean, I can be playing music as low as -25, even -30, and in betweens tracks I can be aware of the noise. I can not hear it per se, but I can certainly know that is something in the air that is bothersome. My friends does not seem to hear it, its just me apparently can "sense" some noise in the air. Do you ever walk into a room an notice the TV is on, even when it can be in mute, and you are two rooms away?... well, something like that I can feel it in the blank spaces in music. I will like to have real muted blank spaces when the music intended it to be a silence. That´s is what I want... silences.

Of course cranking the volume to 11 does make the noise/hiss audible across the room, and that is how I was doing the troubleshooting, disconnecting some equipment and turning up the volume to see the change on the hiss.

Of course I must have also the 60Hz hum, but only with the ICBM plugged in (at least that is my perception), but there is something else in the noise, and when I just connect the preamp to the amp and the speakers and nothing else, trough a Monster Power Center HTS 3500, I still can perceive some noise that does sounds nothing alike the 60Hz hum. That is why I do suspect of the electronics, mainly the preamp.

Putting my ears in the tweeters when the system is on standby, also uncovers a hiss, that is more than 60Hz as is coming from the tweeters, but is too weak to know if its coming from the midranges and woofers. Just connecting the amp with no inputs, does not make any noise I can tell, but I will do this experiment again.

Thanks.