Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Axiom speakers too bright? Leads to fatigue?
#123350 01/08/06 10:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
He means he recently upgraded to a 500. When you get to be as old as Randy, you have these senior moments.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#123351 01/08/06 10:55 PM
shareholder in the making
Jack you must be having a senior moment, what the heck are ya talking about man?

ps: I love the edit feature, ha ha

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#123352 01/08/06 11:17 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Yes Jack that guy is a piece of work and it bugs me too when he trashes Axiom and spreads misinformation to people just looking for some knowledge. Like yourself I can't help but go after him and set the record straight especially because his agenda is so transparent.

This place is definitly more pleasant than AVS but there is much to be learned there as well.

John
#123353 01/08/06 11:31 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Hi Ratpack. Got to agree with Alan especially because he is right 99% of the time (though he and I had one hec of a lively discussion about the merits of Dolby and DTS one night in early December after dinner.) All recordings and recording engineers are not created equally. Their interpretations and biases are accurately reproduced on the m80/m60s for sure.

That research by Paul Barton showed some empirical evidence as to why some people are more sensitive to upper range material and are likely more willing to say certain speakers sound "bright" whereas I would say they sound clear and transparent. Those people would likely prefer less accurate speakers that have a "house" type curve of declining FR in the upper range. What I find ironic is they tend to then describe speakers with unlinear response as accurate and detailed which just isn't right.

John
#123354 01/09/06 12:05 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Jack
Excellent post! Your reply on the AV123 forum is totallly accurate. I kow this is a stretch and I have no intention of thread hijacking but I read this somewhere and thought that it accurately demonstrates the dynamics behind your statement. Unfortunately I did not get the name of the person who wrote it. It was during a period when I was doing research on religious freedom, but I think it is appropriate to anything.

In reply to:

Each of us has experienced the weight of another's Shadow upon us and have resented it, just as each of us is responsible for casting our own Shadow on others. This is especially true of religion. As individuals, we must find our own spiritual path. But, as soon as an individual finds the source of their own light, they hold it close, and their shadow ends up being cast out on everything else. The stronger the light, and the closer we hold it, the larger and darker the shadow looms. Until everything but your own light seems like darkness.

I'm not trying to be heavy here. I just think it is human nature to defend the choices we make. The more we research and invest time and especially MONEY into that decision, the more we will defend it. The most important thing is "we are all right" for our particular set of circumstances. Ears, room acoustics, personal preferences and yes even appearance. All of this is opinion. That is why it is essential to listen and maybe even look closely, (if that is what is important to you) to what you think you want to buy.
Why take my word for it? I'm older, and Im sure have decreased sensitivity to high frequencies. Do you want to take my word for it? I wouldn't! But I'll give it to you anyway.

(to the original poster)

I have the M60ti in a stereo only set up. I had heard all the suff about Axiuoms making you ears bleed with their extreme brightness. THEN I AUDITIONED THEM. THIS IS WHAT I'M TRYING TO GET ACROSS. For me and my personal preferences, I thought they were great. My opinion is that the speakers are very "detailed". That means they will reproduce the source material for better or worse. That means sometimes they seem bright. Sometimes I think I'm getting listener fatigue. Then I change the CD and put on a disc that is considered an "audiophile quality" recording. Considered by whom? It doesn't really matter. The thing is that these speakers have the ability to blow my socks off with certain source material. Just today I listened to two live recordings. First I listened to Jerry Garcia Band "Don't Let Go Live" 1976. The guitar and vocals on this cd sounded very good for the year and the fact that it was a live recording, but the drums sounded awful. I thought there was something wrong with my speakers. I then put on Eric Clapton Live at the Hammersmith 1974, and all was well. The thing is you have to listen, and if at all possible (with Axiom it is)listen in your own space. There is so much more than the drivers, tweeters and the box design going on.There is room size and shape and characteristics. There is also furnishings, carpeting and whether or not there are drapes on the windows.

I think it is great that you have made your way to the Axiom forums. It shows that you did your homework. You probably read many many reviews. I would wager that most of them were positive, but there were a few that made you have doubts. I had them too. That is when I set up an audition. That is what you should do as well. Audition as many other brands as you can also. That way you won't be constantly wondering "Did I make the right decision?" Whatever you do don't let reviews or someone else make you decision for you.
oz

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon
#123355 01/09/06 12:56 AM
axiomite
axiomite
jrock65: If there's a B&W dealer in your area, stop in and ask to demo their 703 towers. If you like their sound, place your order for the Axiom M60ti's. You'll have just about the exact same sound quality, and you'll have saved yourself a big pile of cash to buy DVD's and CD's.

#123356 01/09/06 01:09 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Great stuff, Oz. I agree that it's human nature to defend one's purchases. However, that only becomes imperative when someone finds it necessary to attack someone else's purchase. I'm sure we can all agree that speaker preference is a VERY subjective decision. The one I like is the one you may loath. What I resent is the need to objectify that decision by running down the preferences of others - the old "I can't be right unless you are wrong" thing. How do I make you wrong? Easy, I just demonstrate that the product you like is a "bad" product. Cuz, if the product you like is a "good" product, then maybe I'M wrong . People who find this necessary just don't get the concept that two opposing opinions can each be "right."

Simple example. It is generally considered that Citizen Kane is the "best" motion picture ever made. I've never liked it. For whatever reason, it has never caught my imagination, or my heart, or whatever. However, objectively, it probably IS the "best" movie ever made. Subjectively, I don't like it. Both of those positions are accurate and "correct." I feel no need to justify my subjective opinion by telling you, or anyone, that it is a bad movie, or make others feel stupid for liking it.

When you separate "good" and "bad," from "like" and "dislike," it can be quite liberating. I no longer feel the need to "like" things that others feel are "good," nor dislike things others feel are "bad." Now THAT'S freedom!

Pretty sneaky Randy!!!!!!!

Jack

#123357 01/09/06 01:20 AM
Jack,
You're an intellectual hippie. You're everything that was good about the 60s rolled into one....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#123358 01/09/06 01:52 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Jack
That's exactly what I'm talking about! Although, I disagree with two things you have said.
1. I feel it happens all too often with out any attack or provocation what so ever. I'm not sure if it comes more from someone's insecurity or ego. [but probably both).
2. By the way, your absolutely wrong about Citizen Kane being the greatest movie and I can prove it. But you have to tell me what movie you think is the best , so I can trash it to support my stance.

oz

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon
#123359 01/09/06 02:18 AM
axiomite
axiomite
1. Agreed, it does. It's kinda the other side of the "trash yours to make mine right" coin.
2. LOL! I could never say which is my favorite movie. I have too many to count, and the list is constantly being added to and subtracted from.

Thanks Mark. That was a nice compliment (I think; I hope )

Jack

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082