Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Infinity replacement woofer
#124242 01/14/06 05:18 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I'm trying to find any technical info on the Infinity 2000.6 series woofers. I need to replace one that was damaged, but these tower speakers are a few years old and Infinity has stopped making the replacement woofers. Niether thier web site(s), nor their customer service knows the technial parameters.

I'm trying to either buy a used one from and individual, (already tried eBay with no results) or find out what the parameters are so that I can find a comparable replacemant from a place like Parts Express or MCM.

I at least need:

Power rating for one woofer alone (it's a two woofer design with a power rating of 200W per speaker).

Ohms rating. I thought these designs were 16 ohm drivers in parallel to give an 8 ohm rating, but I tested one with an ohms meter and it gave me a reading of 7.8 ohms (8 ohms nominal) Did I do that right?

SPL sensitivity. The whole speaker has a SPL of 92.

Thanks a lot for any info.

JL

Re: Infinity replacement woofer
#124243 01/14/06 09:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi, JL!

Interesting questions!! I can't believe that no one at Infinity has any info on that driver! Or the guy(s) you talked to didn't know, and were too lazy too look

I only have enough knowledge to be dangerous to myself and those around me, but it seems to me that there are ways to physically and electronically measure these things to get the data you need, but to do a proper job requires some fairly specialized equipment.

So unless someone here at the Axiom forum just happens to have the answers, you may want to try some of the more DIY inclined chat groups, such as the one over at Parts Express, or perhaps an obscure Infinity-only chat group; chances are you'll find somebody out there who can give you the info you're after.(It may already be in one of these whizz kids obsolete parts data bases!) And who knows, since you happen to already have a good example of the driver that you need, you may even be able to ship said good driver to the individual in the know for a quick run thru just for fun and the cost of shipping!

Hey! Could be a fun exercize, and when all is said and done, if you're into this sort of thing, you could end up having a really good time and learn lots of good stuff too!

Sometimes the hunt is more fun than the kill!
Rich.

#124244 01/15/06 01:26 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Yeah, I already tried the PE message board. They suggested testing it with a software package also. The only prob with that is I don't know anyone with that kind of set up and it costs at least $159 to buy it.

Oh well, keep me in mind if any other suggestions come up.

Thanks for the response!

JL

#124245 01/15/06 03:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Disapointed to hear that you've had no luck with your quest. Was kinda hoping that at least somebody could supply some helpfull info or actual assistance.

Thought I'd take a quick look just to get an idea of what you're up against.

Hmmmmm.....

Seems you've got a nice set of speakers there worth salvaging! No manuals easily available though(as you undoubtibly know!)

I also notice that "Jinx", an Axiom forum member, has a set too; perhaps he can be of assistance!

I also found a pair of Merak floorstanders with a powered sub...uh...but it dosen't help at all with your problem

Anyway, don't give up yet, the answer's out there somewhere!!

The fun's in finding it

#124246 01/15/06 04:43 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Yeah, they are worth saving (with a nice powered sub they REALLY shine).

I have the manual, and a print out of some other specs but niether give no such detailed parameter info.

That dang Infinity site won't even let you e-mail them with a question!

Not to sound disappointed at all (I like it BTW), but the Axiom board seems to be more of an end user forum than a DIY or speaker builders kinda thing huh?

As always thanks for the responces,

JL

#124247 01/15/06 05:04 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>but the Axiom board seems to be more of an end user forum than a DIY or speaker builders kinda thing huh?

Yeah, a guy named Ian does most of our DIY-ing these days

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#124248 01/15/06 01:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yeah, by and large we are mostly a group involved with using our Axioms pretty much as they were designed.

We had a period here a couple years ago where a few folks were experimenting with adding resistors to tame an overenthusiastic tweeter(which seems to have gone away, by the way), but other than that....

Not too many of us are into speaker building. I happen to be doing my fourth generation subwoofer modifications, and we do have a "Frankenstien" center channel builder aboard, but any of the rest of us who delve within the guts of our speakers are keeping fairly quiet about it.

Some, who choose the "Gorilla" port, however....

The Axiom philosiphy is a bit different then, than the Infinity group, here, all questions are welcome, and what the forum members can't resolve, then the Axiom staff will surely become involved until the Axiom owner is finally satisfied and undoubtedly again singing Axioms' praises!!

....(my son had Infinities, and they really DID sound good!)

Basically though, it dosen't matter what brand of speakers our fellow audio entheusiasts are using, all are welcome and encouraged to join in and contribute!

.....but hey(sideways glance)pssst....if your Infinities ain't workin' could I interest you in a nice pair of M60s?...

Only kiddin'but feel free to stick around and feel welcome, and keep us(me)informed on the driver replacement situation(I'll be putzin' on it from this end when I get the chance...it's FUN)
Rich.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters