Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: noob needs guidance! m22t
#124618 01/28/06 05:02 AM
D
D
If you go to the outlaw website you can see the Velodyne bass management hardware software combo complete with set up microphone for $599 and the 8" 150 watt Outlaw/HSU sub is $299 sold together for $845. Ask the techy experts on this website (not me) monitors (highs / mids) belong away from the front wall , side walls and corners. Woofers tend to react very poorly with the room when placed in the same way ... they do best in the corners .. problem is time alignment .. thats th ebusiness of TACT and DEQX ... but the system above gets you a good way there at afraction of the cost.

#124619 01/30/06 04:38 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

For ther record I am very happy with the sound of the m22s powered by the t-amp, but it looks like i am spending same money and could get a better speaker, but I want to stay with axiom as the speakers - like them way better then b&w and paradigms that my friends have.

I think something should be clarified here. The M22s are no slouches. In going up to an M60 for example, you get more bass and louder. For the most part, it is the same drivers in sequentially larger enclosures. I know that the crossovers vary accordingly but I am sure that Axiom does not have inferior crossovers in the "lower end" speakers. Depending on how you qualify "better", IMO you are not necessarily getting better quality sound (provided you match the M22s with a nice sub).

A sub-sat setup gives you more flexibility when switching between stereo listening and home theater listening. If you do more stereo listening and you do not want to have the bulk of a subwoofer (a floor standing speaker typically does not take up much more room than a bookshelf on a stand) then a set of M60s would be ideal (or M50s if you like a more "laid back" sound).

I'll give you an example of one speaker setup. A lot of well constructed floor standing speakers have separate chambers for their woofers. IF such a speaker was bi-amped then you have the same speaker setup philosphy as a sub-sat system except that the woofer stays right under the midrange and tweeters (effectively the satellite portion of the speaker).

The floor standing speaker give you a nice neat package for all the drivers with less cabling versus an equivalent sub-sat setup.

The one factor that is never ruled out is the "coolness" factor. Big speakers look impressive but the reality is that most people do not need them. There are some people who have large space that do need speakers such as the M80s. Sometimes it is a matter of future-proofing your setup. If you are thinking of moving and you know your next listening room will have vaulted ceilings and open to other spaces, a larger speaker would likely be the best to go right off the bat (especially for those of us with WAFs to consider).

If you listen at moderate levels, the M22s will be perfect. I don't want to say that getting larger speakers would be a waste of money because there are certain intangibles for some people that simply can not be ruled out. As an extreme example, if only the act of sex were important then no man would care about what the woman looked like. In some cases the man simply turns out the lights. If you buy the M22s and just listen to the music but you care about hw the system looks, be happy with the sound turn out the lights and imagine huge br**sts, er, I mean speakers from the soundstage. It's a guy thing.

#124620 01/30/06 09:24 PM
veteran
veteran
I would certainly recommend getting a pair of M60s, and if at all possible, a pair of M80s. The M80s are superb, and they do go down to 34Hz, so you can postpone buying a subwoofer for a long time! But you do need a good amp to drive those 4ohm M80s.

4 M80s/VP150/EP600/Denon AVR-5308 & DVD-2910/
2 QSC SRA3622(1100wattsX2)/Carvin 1800HD(600wattsX2)
#124621 02/02/06 04:10 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Any update from you, urbanachiever?

#124622 02/04/06 04:38 PM
D
D
I disagree with the premise that putting a biamped tower with seperate enclosure for the subwoofer is the same as a seperate sub and m22 satellites for music listening. Lower frequencies react poorly with the room when they are place far from the front and side walls (the better location for your mid and high frequencies). Roy Allison (an audiophile good guy that Axin owners can appreciate) did great research as have others on corner woofer placement which proved a far better solution to the poor room reaction ot low frequencies when placed in a tower speaker set far out into the room. Of course, time alignment then becomes an issue (solved rather neatly by todays software/hardware technology now available for proper adjustment of corner placed subs and woofs). CAVEAT EMPTOR .... of course the greatest uncertainty of all comments (and magazine reviews for that matter) regarding which speaker sounds best is that most reccommendations are very hypothetical as one must assume the reader has similiar room dimensions (and importantly acoustics) to the one doing the reveiwing. The room is a HUGE!!!! issue. Some of us listen in small apartments surrounded by huge windows while others have huge listening rooms with cathedral ceilings with rugs drapes etc...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters