Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hales
#12546 06/25/03 05:10 AM
Ken.C Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
shareholder in the making
Hey Sushi, I see you have Hales System 2 speakers. I listened to some Hales Revelation 2s (I think that's the right name) quite some time ago, and I'm curious to see how you would compare them to Axiom speakers (namely the M22). I know they're not available anymore, but I remember being very impressed with them. They were way better than the B&Ws I listed to at the same time. Anyone else have any impressions?

Last edited by kcarlile; 06/25/03 05:11 AM.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Re: Hales
#12547 06/25/03 05:52 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well, I have never listened to the Hales vs. Axiom fronts side-by-side yet (in fact, I hope to have my fellow Dallasite "mwc" visit my house with his pair of M22 in the very near future).

But when I bought the Axioms (after listening to the M22 in mwc's house), I was still surprised to find out how good the timbre matching between the VP150 and the Hales System Two turned out to be. In fact, I hear more mismatches between the VP150 and QS8's than between the Hales and VP150. Granted, the Hales uses driver technologies quite similar to the Axioms (a 1" titanium tweeter, 5.25"/6.5" hard-cone woofers, etc).

So, I am fairly confident in stating that the overall tonal character of the Hales is quite similar to the Axioms. Indeed, when the System Two got rave reviews in Stereophile and other audio magazines (it was way before the internet era), the speake's most touted virtue was the tonal details and accuracy. Of course, if you compare them with the M22, one significant difference is the bass extension -- so, here I am talking about mid-bass and upper frequencies only.

I still vividly remember my first encounter with the Hales in a local audio shop after many disappointing visits to different dealers -- as soon as I start playing one of CDs that I brought with me (classical), I fell in love with them. I literally commuted to that store every evening for the whole week, and convinced myself to shell out some significant amount of $$$.

It was too bad that Mr. Hales sold his company to a wrong partner (WADIA), which I believe led to the demise of the Hales brand.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044