Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Receiver - Auto EQ vs. Good Old Solid Amp
#126191 01/30/06 10:51 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
What is a better way to go for powering a 5.1 setup? A newer model that will have less power when running 5.1 but with Auto EQ (Yamaha RX-V 657) or a little older receiver that is sonically superior and has a stronger amp section without the Auto EQ (Pioneer Elite 43tx)?

My parents are putting together a new system for their family room (22'X16' w/ 12' vaulted ceiling). They want to go with all wall mounted speakers, probably 3 Axiom M3ti's across the front with a pair of QS8's for surrounds. They already have a HSU STF-2 (Christmas gift from their loving son ). This would seem like the standard crossover at 80 situation for the sub since none of the speakers are full range. My question would be this; For this room and this setup, which receiver would be the better choice? The Yamaha running all five channels is only putting out 40-50 watts I read somewhere. The Pioneer Elite I know can run double that with all five channels and probably produce a sweeter sound on straight amp merit alone. But, will the benfit from the Yamaha Auto EQ outweigh the benefit of the better sounding amp? The Pioneer does have manual MCACC, but my parents live 2 time zones away and really have no idea how to calibrate a system (think plug and play). For the price of the Yamaha, I could sell them my Pioneer Elite 43tx and upgrade myself into the 74txi (OK, so my intentions are not completely altruistic ). What is the best course of action for a good son who is looking to help out the 'rents?

Re: Receiver - Auto EQ vs. Good Old Solid Amp
#126192 01/30/06 11:26 PM
shareholder in the making
In reply to:

The Yamaha running all five channels is only putting out 40-50 watts I read somewhere.

It is very important to qualify this statement as it is highly misleading. It is onlytrue when all five channels are being sent the same level of signal. The chance of this happening in a real-world situation is slim to none. What kind of listeners are your parents? If they like their music really loud and watch lots of explosive action movies, then this may be a factor. Otherwise, I wouldn't let that statistic sway your decision against it.

Also, would your parents be able to tell their system wasn't calibrated? I know mine wouldn't. You could let them use whatever device you go with uncalibrated, then calibrate it yourself the next time you dropped by.

As to the "sweeter sound" thing, I think I went temporarily blind and missed it. No comment.

#126193 01/31/06 05:32 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Oh, are you baggin' on me for "sweeter"? Ah, you're killin' me! OK, how about cleaner, clearer, something like that?

Good points though. So which way would you lean? The first part is a vote for the Yamaha, the second supports the Pioneer? My Dad does like a good action flick and has been known to drop a little Queen into the mix at levels that makes Mom come in and yell at him about the neighbors.

#126194 01/31/06 05:50 AM
Dermott, Peter may be off the board for the evening, but in my view the point should be that neither is "better sounding"; they'll both amplify transparently when operated within their designed limits and won't introduce any "sound" of their own.

So far as the auto-calibration, in my view that's an advantage especially if someone isn't inclined to do a manual calibration with a separate meter. That'll give them a better effect than if they left things totally alone. Hopefully they'd be willing to at least use the microphone for the calibration. So, get them the 657.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020