AX5/M80 difference?
#1260 01/29/02 06:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is the M80 the successor to the old AX5? I am just revisiting the Axiom line after several years of not being in the stereo speaker market, and noticed that the M80 does not have a sub-woofer in back like the AX5. For this reason I'm not sure if the M80 is the replacement, and if so, what happened to the sub?

Re: AX5/M80 difference?
#1261 01/29/02 07:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The M60 and M80 have the same internal design as the AX3 and AX5. They continue to use the internal cabinet to separate the woofer from the midrange and tweeters. The main difference is no rear firing drivers as in the AX5

Regards,

BBIBH

#1262 01/29/02 07:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Appreciate the response sir. In your opinion, is the ax5 a better speaker because of the sub? Is the ax5 sill made?

tp

#1263 01/29/02 07:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You are more than welcome.

I own AX3's, and at the time the sub concept was fairly unique. I auditioned several competing models in the same price range(PSB, Infinity, Mission, Paradigm) and thought the Axiom was the best. Slightly beating the PSB, and absolutely embarrasing the Infinity.

The AX5 was an interesting animal, and the main difficulty was proper placement due to the woofer firing towards the rear. A friend has a pair, and we compared them in my hi end system, and I felt the bass was....overly hard and boomy with the AX5. We tinkered with placement, but I gained new respect for my AX3's. Both were good (for their respective prices), and I have no qualms about the product or service.

I don't believe they are made. The current models are on the website.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1264 01/29/02 08:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BBIBH, you are most gracious in your responses. One more question if I may?

I am of the growing opinion that the m60 is likely the best speaker for me and have been leaning this way for a while now. Being an owner of the AX3 (the equivilant of the m60), do you still feel the need to have a sub for 2 channel listening?

I listen most to classical, jazz and some progressive funk (Level 42 type sound). I am going to go audtion the M60s at some point but would be most interested in your opinion. I don't know just how much low end I will get out of the M60 alone.

tp

#1265 01/29/02 08:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
ahhh, you are starting to make me blush, with the kind remarks!

Ask away, if I have an opinion (and I always do....;) ) I will let you know.

I just heard the M40, and M50. With what I heard, I would not add a sub for musical listening to these models. If I dare project up the lineup, I would say that the increased bass designs in the M60 and M80 would make it unnecessary for a sub to be added.

If the claims of bass response on the website can be believed, and Ian makes claims to other "posters" based wanting them to be satisfied and not merely to sell product, (and from what I have seen and read, I can honestly say we can absolutely trust Ian and the Axiom gang - although rumour has it Amie wants to add psycho colours....I mean psychodelic colours to the lineup..LOL), the upper models should be more than enough bass quality. I listen to most music, except for the unnatural bass enhanced Rap genre.

Which AX3/5 model do you have? Reference of standard?

Regards,

BBIBH

#1266 01/29/02 08:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BBIBH,

"Which AX3/5 model do you have? Reference of standard?"

Actually I don't own either - I have a 15 year old pair of Bose that I need to replace badly. My wording in the last post was a little awkward and may have suggested I owned a pair - sorry.

I do have a good friend however that owns an old pair of ax-2 speakers which I get to hear often. I love the sound but they just don't have the pop at the lower frequencies when listening to a funk bass line like Mark King of Level 42 is famous for. It's for this reason that I wonder if the m60's will give me that without a sub.

Thanks

tom p

#1267 01/29/02 08:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Your thoughts on the AX2 are the exact same as mine. In fact, I purchased AX2's, went to pick them up, and the dealer did not have them! I went nuts, and he offered a deal on the AX3, for the AX2 price. I listened to them, liked them better and went home happier!

I would suggest taking some of your favourite music with you. Insist on listening...and YOU drive the volume. Also some dealers are connecting subs, simply because the dealers in this market/category are selling HT. Ensure a sub is not connected.

Regards,

BBIBH

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup