Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Axiom, Denon, & ? Sub
#12635 06/28/03 10:16 PM
TomCat Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Hi folks! In my first post I want to say thanks to all for the good info available here. I've read almost every post on this forum and have been researching components heavily for a few weeks. This greatly helped me decide upon a set of Axiom M80's and a Denon AVR-3803, both of which, I ordered today to launch my new home system. I have not heard the Axioms yet but all the rave reviews CAN'T be wrong. I hope the posts I have read about the Denon being able to sustain the M80's 4 Ohm load (without issues) prove to be true...! I'm starting with my focus upon music and will expand to surround modes as the budget allows (Geeez, good gear is expensive). A tight, thumping sub is next. I want a sub with sufficient power and response (250+ watts). I like my music loud but C-L-E-A-N with lots of headroom for dynamic range. Any sub comments will be fully absorbed and appreciated (Yeah, I know the subject goes on and on but some of us can't get enough good info). Thanks!!!!

The gene pool could use a little chlorine!
Re: Axiom, Denon, & ? Sub
#12636 06/28/03 11:29 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Tom, I don't think that a sub should be next for you. The M80s have very good bass, although it can get still better with a good sub, properly set up. In your case, even for stereo music listening, using DPLII or other surround modes of your 3803 with surround speakers will add ambience effects that you may get better enjoyment from as compared to the sub. I'd suggest QS8s as your next step.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#12637 06/28/03 11:45 PM
TomCat Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Thanks for your recommendation. I'll look into the QS8's.

#12638 06/29/03 02:07 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree with JohnK.
Try out the bass of the M80s first before you decide whether you still want more. If clean bass is what you are looking for, the M80s should provide it. If louder more prominent thump and rumble becomes your thing, then a supplementary sub is the addition to seek at that time.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#12639 06/29/03 03:42 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ditto. I have M60s and find that the sub isn't really necessary for music, but only for movies. I REALLY want to buy that nuclear reactor/water heater/washing machine tub SVS sub 2x6 just got. Something to keep in mind when the time comes.

#12640 06/29/03 08:06 AM
TomCat Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
You guys have got me pumped about the M80's... hubba, hubba. My entertainment/computer/recording room is 16' X 25' X 9' and carpeted with two ceiling fans (for that Leslie Organ sound effect--heh heh). A cable-fed Samsung 32" HDTV will anchor my system along with a Korg Triton synthesizer and a Roland 24 track digital recording station, each of which, will be routed through the Denon to the Axiom speakers for "reference-style" monitoring. I might never leave the room again!

#12641 06/29/03 01:55 PM
J
JBG Offline
devotee
devotee
J
this is a reply to one of my questions here... i hope it helps you in preserving your system...

Hi Johnny_Be_Good,

Be very, very careful running musical instruments like synthesizers, solid-body electrics (don't even consider plugging an electric bass into an amp connected to domestic hi-fi speakers) and keyboards into Axiom speakers. With no limiter connected, the sudden transients can damage or burn out a voice coil.

Musical instrument speakers in dedicated guitar amps and instrument amps use heavy-duty components designed to take abuse from bass and treble transients, as well as distortion garbage from electric instruments.

If you're careful with levels, you should be okay, but overall I don't recommend the practice.

Regards,

Alan Lofft
Axiom Resident Expert

Hi, Johnny
I have a set of Roland V Drums (White Shells) with a TD-10 control module and a couple of KC-300 amps. You may have heard someone play these on stage, in a studio, or at the music store. At any rate it sounds like you are familiar with the Roland product line. I have to agree with Alan and the salesman. Axiom, B & W type speakers are not intended for this role. You would do much better with a Roland KC-300 or KC-500. They are made to be used with KORG and Roland keyboards and synthesizers. One other thing, I have a pair of M60s and M22s, I would not push my Rolands thru them.

CAV104

In turn i went out and bought a Mackie mixer DFX12 and two JBL Eon 15 G2 for my syth and mic's, i also have my computer hooked up to the denon 4802 and to my big screen via 70' of svhs wire.. but when i chose to play instruments or use any mic's, i send it through the Eon's

hope this helps,

JBG

7.1.4 * MRX1120 * M100s * 180HP * 4x M3-on walls * 4x M3-IC * dual XV15se * Shakers
#12642 06/29/03 06:22 PM
TomCat Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
I appreciate the guidance...honest injun! I'll be sure to limit my Axiom misadventures to playing mixed-down stereo tracks burned into audio CD's.

#12643 06/30/03 04:17 AM
old hand
old hand
Hi Johnny_Be_Good,

Thanks so much for this post of yours. Somehow, I seemed to have missed seeing it earlier. I never knew that musical instrument amps can damage the Axioms. I regularly play my Yamaha synthesizer and electric guitar on the M3s for that superb clarity. I never knew about this side of the synth that could damage the speakers. I'll stop doing this immediately since the last thing I need is a damaged M3.

But coming back to square one, I still don't understand what a "limiter" is. If somebody could educate me on this one, I'll be very happy.

#12644 06/30/03 12:47 PM
E
EdD Offline
frequent flier
frequent flier
E
I would concur with chesseroo that you should pick up the M80's and give them a whirl before you think about buying a sub. However, as an M80 owner who uses his system for 90% music, I did decide to add a sub, and it has made a substantial difference to my listening pleasure. (the water cooler's little brother - more like a water barrel) Without being overpowering, it puts a "feel" to the ground floor which the speakers by themselves cannot give.

Ed

#12645 06/30/03 09:57 PM
TomCat Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
I will indeed try the new M80's before doing anything else (they shipped today), but... knowing myself, I will want that DEEP, well-balanced bottom-end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters