6.1 Speaker Upgrade Advice
#1270 01/29/02 11:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just bought a new 6.1 Yamaha 100wpc receiver and want to also upgrade my current speakers. Own AR 3-way bookshelves as front main, and smaller bookshelves for surrounds. Room is lively with hardwood floors partially covered; 3200 cubic feet plus very wide open floorplan (very wide opening to adjacent huge kitchen). Will be keeping very musical sub that is still wonderful.

Have M22ti speakers in my home for trial right now (better than the AR338s in some very desirable ways) -- I'm wanting more "dynamicism" out of my mains than the 22s can offer. Don't get wrong, over my "twice the price" ARs, these 22s do a much nicer job on male and female vocals, and in presenting the vocal up front in the soundstage. I'm thinking I want something with more "oomph" though I do not have to have serious low end in the mains due to the sub. I am not restricted to having speakers on stands.

By auditioning new mains, lately I've really starting enjoying listening to my music again (I'm actually making time to just sit and listen nowadays). Could it be the 22s? So my needs are 60% music/40% HT.

Now the second part -- the Yamaha 6.1 speaker setup recommendation has 3 rear speakers (no sides) situated along the rear wall. I'm looking for a recommendation on best surrounds for my room configuration.

My sweet spot chair sits within 1.5 - 2 meters of all three rear speaker locations (from the back of my chair to the rear wall is approximately 1.5 meters); this chair is also located about 6-7 meters away from the front main speakers and RPTV.

Assume I keep the 22s in one scenario, and assume I do not keep the 22s in another scenario.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Re: 6.1 Speaker Upgrade Advice
#1271 01/30/02 03:54 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Seems to me you have sold yourself on the M22's, so lets move beyond that. You also say you want more "oomph" up front, so this pushes your selection into the M40-80 Line. You have a sub, so listen to the M40-80 for mains, use the M22's for surrounds.

Personally, I think the M50 would be a good match. Your budget and listening may say otherwise.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1272 01/30/02 10:23 AM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
You have a very large space to fill. The first thing I would suggest doing is getting the full range of information going to the front channels. If I have read your post correctly you currently have them rolled off through the sub woofer x-over. Ultimately this is a room looking for the M80s if they suit your esthetics and budget. The sub-woofer is also going to need to be quite powerful in this space, especially for home theatre. For the surrounds I would definitely look at the QS8s in this space. I am not convinced that Yamaha's recommendation is the best for you. I would be tempted to try 2 of the QS8s on the sidewalls with the third on the rear wall. If you are looking at keeping the M22s for your front channel speakers I would suggest getting an EP125 to go with them as part of your front channel output. This will give you the little extra you need up front in that large space of yours.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer

Ian Colquhoun
#1273 01/30/02 04:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When listening in stereo I do run full range thru the 22s (I'm directing bass to both sub and 22s, with receiver setting on LARGE). I've also critically A/B'ed the current AR mains and the 22s full range alone (w/o the sub). I have to admit I am intrigued by the QS8 quadpole design, and actually I think they are a main reason I decided to try out the 22s. I've never been overly thrilled with the pure direct radiating surrounds I have since I'm sitting so much closer to the surrounds than the front three speakers.

I am under the opinion now that my original thinking of going with M22tiSEs all the way around with a VP150 center is going to be an improvement over my current setup, but it is not going to be an overwhelmingly substantial improvement.
Therefore, I am seriously considering the larger M80s up front, but I may have a dilemma in properly placing them. I would be able to bring the floorstanders up to 1 meter away from the front wall, but there would be very little room (under a foot) for moving them laterally. May this pose a problem with such restrictions?

Thanks for the good advice!

#1274 01/30/02 05:34 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have the M80, VP150, QS8 (SVS 16-46+ on the way).
This package sounds great! My room is 10.5 x 27 x 7.5 (just over 2100 cf) and have a 6 foot entertainment unit which only leaves me with 2 feet per side for my M80s. The space behind the M80s is different on both sides due to the duct work,etc (about 3' for the left and 1' for the right and 18 inches behind the 2' deep entertainment unit).

I think as long as you have space behind the speakers, it should be OK.

As for surrounds, I agree with Ian in putting 2 on the side walls and the third on the back wall (perhaps using a direct radiating speaker like the VP150)

GOOD LUCK

kevin

#1275 01/31/02 01:27 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Positioning of the speakers near walls and corners is a very room dependent equation. Given the size of your room I cannot imagine that the proximity to the wall or corner is going to pose any issue. I think it will work great.

Ian Colquhoun

Ian Colquhoun

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616