Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Looking at Axiom speakers - newbie to the forum
#127728 02/11/06 04:23 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hello everyone. I've been looking at replacing my still functioning twenty year old Infinity RS5b's....real Oak veneer...EMIT Tweeter....polypropolene woofers. I've been drooling over Thiel 1.6's, but just can't justify in my head the huge cost of these baby's. They would run me about $2,500 including tax for a pair brand new.

So, I've been saving my lunch money up for a pair of M60 floor standers and was thinking about pulling the trigger say around June. Well, now that there is going to be a price increase, I may have to carry some extra on the credit card and do it next week.

Any thoughts on these speakers would be greatly appreciated. My system includes a Denon 3300 receiver (105w per channel), Sony CDP339ES cd player, Pioneer Elite DV37 DVD player. My surrounds are Paradigm Atoms and my center channel is a newer Infinity model (# escapes me athe moment) with metal drivers. I beleive this center will blend well with the M60's, so no plans to replace that at the moment.

Re: Looking at Axiom speakers - newbie to the foru
#127729 02/12/06 01:24 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
M60s are a good choice for a good sized room!

If the room is big! Go with M80s!

If smaller, go with M22s and if smaller yet, try the M2s!

Simply a case of scale!

Probably the way to go since like over 80% of all axiom purchases are within this group!! And since it's the accurate Axiom "sound" that probably attracted you here in the first place....!!

Will the other speakers in your group(center, especially)match well enough?....dunno but they might! Having similar driver materials is a step in the right direction, but dosen't, of course, mean that both designers had similar thoughts when the speakers were put into production.

Anyway, the M60s, if your room size is appropriate for them, would be an excellent foundation for a great future home entertainment system!

Re: Looking at Axiom speakers - newbie to the forum
#127730 02/12/06 03:29 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Hi cawgijoe and welcome! I'm a brand new 'axiomite' myself... just got my speakers last Thursday. I too have a little over 20 yr old Infinity Kappa 8's (original version) that I was looking to upgrade. Yes, they also have real oak veneers, emit tweeters(1 rear facing) and polypropolene woofers (12 inchers). I always loved their definition, but had some misgivings about the mid to low bass performance, and inefficiency.

The only other speakers I auditioned in the house before the Axioms were the Boston VR3's. I fully expected them to sound significantly better than the Kappas after hearing them in the store, but to no avail. Those emit tweeters still shined, and that definition still superior. The VR3's sounded mid-rangy in comparison, though the lows and imaging were indeed better than the Kappas.

Based on internet research for a couple of months, I had to give the Axioms a try, if only for the great return policy and well spoken-of customer service. I ordered the equipment on Tuesday about 9:00 AM, and everything was at my door about 12:15 on Thursday... and I live in south Florida.

Then the audition. These speakers are in a different class. There are certain cuts of cd's I keep listening to in astonishment. I shake my head in what is almost disbelief as that tingle goes down my spine again listening to Flim and the BB's... if anyone out there is familiar. I haven't been this excited about audio since I was a kid. You read about speakers being 'musical', but I had no idea until I sat in front of these M80's. That's it. I'm sold. I'm done.

I'm no audiophile, but I'm a local musician (part-time now)and I've played for big bands, orchestras, and broadway shows nearly all my life and feel I have a strong sense for good quality audio, having done quite a few recordings and going through alot of home equipment. For me, these speakers are at the absolute pinnacle of price/value, even with the upcoming price increase. In my opinion, you must pay significantly more for less and less improvement once you get past Axioms in the high end market. It's all diminishing returns from here on. There are other brands in the same price range at great quality (Onix,Swan for example), but from what I read the differences are minimal, and you may end up paying more for real wood veneers which mean nothing to me. I wanted to pay for speaker quality / engineering and I got just that. The speakers are gorgeous looking to me as they are. If you add their outstanding customer service which I've now experienced to the equation, well, like I said...I'm done!

Sorry for the long post... can ya tell I like em?

Epic 80 / SVS PB13 Ultra
Denon 3805 / M2200 Outlaw Monos /
Sammy 55" LED
#127731 02/12/06 04:32 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Contrary to F107....

I have my M60's in a huge room and they are just fine, the room is pushing 900 Sq Ft with 9ft ceilings. They will also work great in medium sized rooms.

Not sure I can say much more than what Spoiler said. Axiom speakers are unbelievable for the money. I've owned a lot of speakers through the years, and I can honestly say my Axioms are not leaving this house.

Keep in mind you can order from the Factory Outlet and save 10%.

Randy

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#127732 02/12/06 05:50 AM
axiomite
axiomite
A very nice, and articulate post, Spoiler. I understood EXACTLY what you were talking about when you said...

"I shake my head in what is almost disbelief as that tingle goes down my spine again listening to Flim and the BB's... if anyone out there is familiar. I haven't been this excited about audio since I was a kid. You read about speakers being 'musical', but I had no idea until I sat in front of these M80's."

My speakers and the music are different, but the head shaking and the tingle are the same, as is my renewed interest in music. I started out with an 90:10 ratio of movies to music, and am now about 50:50.

I will also second your price/value comment.

By the way, I too was a lifelong musician, until retirement.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#127733 02/12/06 06:30 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>By the way, I too was a lifelong musician, until retirement.

I didn't think musicians retired, just slowed down a lot

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#127734 02/12/06 05:14 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

just slowed down a lot

slower tempo...

#127735 02/12/06 08:41 PM
K
old hand
old hand
K
I'm in the same boat as Spoiler. My M80's arrived Friday and I'm just now getting a chance to do some listening. I've got them hooked up to Outlaw separates: 990 pre-pro and 7125 amp which will soon be upgraded to the 7500 at 200 watts perchannel into 8 ohms and 300 watts into 4 ohms (as are the M80's). I've been listening to a lot of different stuff but went with the Axioms (at least for the 30 day trial) because of everything I've been reading in reviews and here on this forum. I'm hoping for great things. This is a big step up for me from a budget system with a first generation Dolby Digital Yamaha receiver and NHT Super Ones. I'm hoping I can make my decision before the price increase so that if I'm going to stick with them I can order the rest of the Epic 80 system to compliment the M80's.

#127736 02/17/06 06:27 PM
regular
regular
Thanks to all the comments, recommendations, and just pure entertainment, from members here, another newbie took the plunge earlier this week [before the price increase] to buy M60's from the FO. I am slowly replacing 25 year old stereo gear [original Carver receiver and KEF 103.2's] with a Denon 3805 and the M60's. Can't wait -- by the way, the FO wait time for Mansfield Beech M60's went from 3 weeks two days ago to 8 weeks today [a boatload of folks beating the price increase, like me, I suppose], so any idea whether I am looking at 3 or 8 weeks for delivery????

2 M60 v2 Denon AVR-3805 Sony Wega KV-34HS420 Other things to come!
#127737 02/17/06 06:49 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You may get e-mail telling you when your 60's are planned to ship. When I ordered my 60's it said a 5 week wait, I got them in 2

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (Cork, chapin99), 316 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup