Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Upside down M3s?
#127778 02/11/06 08:46 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
shareholder in the making
I'm considering a couple of M3s as nearfield monitors in my editing rack (wish Axiom made active monitors!!):

The right speaker would be placed where the larger of the two monitors is (look for the color bars), and I would install an identical shelf to the left side for the left speaker (above what looks to be a CPU case but is a DVD duplicator). I would likely put the speakers on a couple of MoPads:

I've picked up an ongoing, good-sized gig recording and editing voiceovers for another very busy videographer and I'm often editing audio at night. Headphones…even good ones…get irritating to me after several hours. The Cambridge Soundworks setup I currently have on the walls won't work on the shelves because they're not shielded. Besides, I've always wanted to try M3s! If I can get the speakers 1' off each ear, I will have the "intimate sound" of headphones, without the irritation, and I'll be able to keep the volume lower so as to not keep my wife awake all night.

Here's the concern: The right shelf would need to be raised to allow the new left shelf to be of equal height… and at that height the woofer, not the tweeter, would be pretty much at ear level. I don't think that will prove to be a problem as the Axiom tweeter has good dispersion, but I'm not sure. To hedge my bet that this scenario will work, has anyone used an M3 upside down…maybe as a center, for example? Alan, any thoughts?

There are many nearfield monitors out there…many active… but I really would like to give Axiom my business on this one....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Re: Upside down M3s?
#127779 02/11/06 09:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
M3 upside down as a center? Does anyone use that configuration?

Yup.

Been running that way for a few years now.

In my situation; on top of the TV, it gets the tweet closer to the screen and closer to the same height as the tweets on the mains.

The picture falls off faster to the sides than the sound, so we all cluster together in front of the TV anyway!

If there IS an up-down lobing problem, I haven't found it!!

I too, though, would be interested in the "real truth" of the matter!

Anyone in the know!!?
Rich.

#127780 02/11/06 11:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Oops,...just noticed a coupla points I overlooked.

The M3s ARE shielded, but the magic wears thin within about 6" from a CRT. So unless you can keep the transducers 'bout half a foot from all the glass bits....

And, luv those MoPad thingies; but as shown, the grilles would interfere I'm afraid.

#127781 02/11/06 11:59 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Wow, Mark.. that is the most together edit suite I've ever seen. You must not do road work .

Bren R.

#127782 02/12/06 12:49 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Mark
I am currently using m3's in a similar situation. It looks like mine are a little bit further away from me than your set up. They are 54 inches

Two things I think you should consider is the distance off the wall because of the rear port. You need a minimum of 3 inches although I would recommend 5 for best results. The other thing I found is:
the shelf I needed to use was just a little bit too high so if I stood them up normally the tweets were too high. Instead of turing them up side down I have them on their sides with the tweets more in line with seating position. They are still slightly high but I have them toed down slightly. This has worked very nicely for me. The m3's are very nice for near field listening.

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon
#127783 02/12/06 12:54 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ya think you can jam M22's in there? :P On my desk they sound magnificent.

Anyways, I think your setup will be greatly sufficient with the m3's like that. I tried thinking how to rearange your desk but I threw my mind in a loop three times. Looks like you have it all together over there. Nice setup!

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
#127784 02/12/06 01:10 AM
aficionado
aficionado
dan
I have been considering a set up with m22's in near field for myself in the studio. Can you tell me about how far your's are away from the listening position. Mine could be anywhere from 4 to six and a half feet.
thanks,
oz

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon
#127785 02/12/06 01:55 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Mark,
Nice equipment rack! Gotta love the "Anthro" products. Got one for my home computer. Will you be far enough away from the M3's to appreciate them?
Cheers,
Shaun

#127786 02/12/06 02:16 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mine are about 2-3 feet away from my ears when I'm at my desk.

Here's a picture.

They sound wonderful. Its very nice because in the "sweet spot" where they are pointed right at my ears, they sound really loud to me, but when I stand up the volume drops a lot compared to that postition which is nice because it isn't so loud for others. They almost sound like headphones with the closeness and how they are pointed right at my ears. It's really amazing.

Here's a pic.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
#127787 02/12/06 02:26 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Now; I'm not one to gossip, and far be it for me to suggest that anyone would do anything not totally upright. but...

Do you new folks understand that Marks' photo, the photo that you guys are fawning over and making such a fuss about is a sham!!

A FRAUD

Yes!! You are being deceived!!

This fabulous work space was manacured just for this professional photo, a long, long, long time ago! The wires were put exactly where they needed to go, everything was placed just so by professional time management types. The Fung Suei gods were even consulted!!

I know I couldn't work there! My white gloves would make manipulating controls difficult, and my clean room smock whould inhibit every move!

Don't be fooled kids,....be forewarned!
Rich.

Shamefull.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616