Print Thread
Rate Thread
New snake oil accessory? (long)
#12905 07/03/03 08:38 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
If anyone on this list gets the musicdirect "news" letter, you probably just got this. It seems that they're selling a new audio/video "enhancement" product that seems to be along the lines of green marker on the outside of CDs. Here's the text:

Sony Asia has just distributed Sound Improvement Discs to all its sales reps in the Far East to enhance their demonstration of ALL Sony SACD/DVD/CD players! Sony has found using the SID disc on everything from their budget players to their reference level SACD players enhances resolution, adds musicality, and greatly improves video performance. Now that's an endorsement!

Sound Improvement Disc Model #14 (drawer loaders) - $49.99

Sound Improvement Disc Model #15 (top loaders) - $49.99

Music Direct customers cannot get enough of SID! The whole world is getting on the SID bandwagon! Great reviews are coming in from everywhere! Made in Germany, the Sound Improvement Disc (SID) is now Music Direct's best-selling accessory. This lightweight, durable enhancement disc is designed to reduce laser-read errors from SACD, DVD and standard CD players. By increasing disc stability, and reducing laser refraction, the SID greatly reduces the amount of error correction necessary to convert the digital bit stream back into its original analog form. Simply stated, you will hear an immediate increase in musicality and see improvements in picture quality the first time you load the SID into your player. Its simple to use: just put on top of any silver disc before you press play! 100% Music Direct guaranteed!

There are two different versions of the SID depending on which type of player you have. The Model 14 is for any drawer loading single disc transport while the Model 15 is for top loaders. Each is 100% guaranteed. (Not for use with changers, portables and car players).

(me again) Does that not sound utterly like snake oil? Could there possibly be any scientific justification for that? Geez...

Feel free to smack me down if these things actually work.

Ken

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Re: New snake oil accessory? (long)
#12906 07/04/03 07:39 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I don't get their newsletters. Thanks for the info!
So, where to buy SID?

#12907 07/04/03 02:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
S.I.D.?
Snake-oil Infused Discs?

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#12908 07/04/03 09:00 PM
Yeah, what a tease you are, Ken. You get us all reaching for our checkbooks or credit cards, but you don't give us the ordering info.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#12909 07/04/03 09:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The ordering info to send your money is
To: Chesseroo
At: PO Box......

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#12910 07/04/03 10:55 PM
Ken, my insatiable lust to acquire the SID drove me to hunt up the Music Direct site . I was delighted to find there not only the SID, but the "Finite Elemente Ceraballs", which appear to be ideal for my use, since I have no components over 65 pounds. I would certainly grow impatient with those who would point out that since the SID goes entirely above the disc to be played, where nothing is happening, the product is a scam. Their silly scientific measurements should be ignored, and as it says right on the SID, "Just Trust Your Ears".

A list of audio products of similar value, which I posted a short time ago, but some may have missed, is found here .

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020