Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
EP350 and RX-V657 Problems
#129909 02/28/06 10:22 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Evening, all. I have posted on this forum a few times and have been greatly satisfied by the prompt and useful response I have gained, so now I ask for help once again on a problem I seem to be having.

I bought an ep350 sub, and I am using the line level input, connected to the rx-v657 I own. The problem is, I can't get any volume. I've got the subwoofer level at the very maximum on my receiver, and the crossover at 80hz, 120hz on the ep350. I seem to get a certain level of bass from the subwoofer, however if I want to turn up the volume control on the back of the sub, the control appears to do nothing. The volume seems to turn down, but not up. I have read a post on this forum showing a similar problem between my receiver and the ep350, and having tried all suggested remedies on there and failing miserably, I ask for help...Thanks for your time.

Re: EP350 and RX-V657 Problems
#129910 03/01/06 12:52 AM
shareholder in the making
I assume your using the Subwoofer Pre-Out, and not the one on the left side for multi audio music? If you run a test tone/pink noise from the receiver, do you hear anything from the sub? You want to start with the sub volume at about 11 o'clock with the 350 and turn the sub crossover clockwise all the way. The receiver should be at 80hz as you said. In the receiver is there a menu to make sure you have Sub set to YES?

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#129911 03/01/06 01:05 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Did you try both the normal and reverse phase for your subwoofer on your reciever?

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
#129912 03/01/06 04:45 AM
Rodge, I take it that because of what you read from earlier posts that you've confirmed that your sub cable is attached to the correct sub output in the middle of the back panel of the 657. You probably also tried running the sub cable directly from one of the left or right analog outputs on your player, but this made no difference. The fact that some bass is getting through would seem to indicate that the sub cable itself was okay, but if you haven't already done so you might temporarily disconnect one of your other coaxial cables and try it with the sub. Yet another connection to try would be disconnecting the speaker wires from your M3 front speakers and temporarily connecting them to the speaker level inputs on the 350(with the 657 set to no sub so that all the bass goes out from the main speaker terminals)to see if the volume problem persists.

With the settings you described the volume should be high indeed, and lower settings(e.g. about midway on the 657 sub level setting)should suffice. If none of the foregoing has worked it would appear that the amplifier in the sub is defective and that Joe Vassallo at Axiom should be contacted. He may have further suggestions or send out a replacement amplifier, but from past experience you can be sure that Axiom will help to solve the problem.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#129913 03/01/06 09:55 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried all of the above with the exception of the high-level inputs on the sub, due to difficult furniture situations etc. Another thing I forgot to mention was that the sub does not kick in, i.e. the LED does not go green, until the volume on my receiver is set to at least -30.0dB. When I turn up the volume on my receiver, the volume on the sub goes up in correct proportion, suggesting the connection is OK, I just seem to have little control over the sub its self using the sub's controls. Could I be getting a signal that is too weak from the receiver to the sub? Does resistance in the cable play any part in this? Surely if the sub volume goes up when I increase the volume of the music on my receiver, the connection is OK. But why doesn't the sub pick up any signal when the volume is set to -40.0dB? (Even with the subwoofer level set to maximum) Also note that when the volume is significantly higher, i.e. around -15.0dB, the sub is louder (Hence the 'increases in correct proportion') however I still have little control over the volume when adjusting the ep350's dial. This is becoming very frustrating, I'm hoping and praying it's not a faulty sub, as I live in the UK and sending the sub back will prove both costly and awkward. Thanks.

#129914 03/01/06 09:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Any sub with auto-on will require a certain level of signal before it kicks on, so that's not a problem. If you find the required level is too high (and everything else is working properly) you can always turn up the sub level in your receiver a bit and turn the level control on the back of the sub down -- that puts a hotter signal out over the cable. If you go too far you can overdrive the output capability of your receiver but a few dB is normally all you need. In other words, don't worry about that.

Unless you are playing so loudly that the sub is in hard clipping, the issues you are seeing with the level control do sound like a sub problem. I assume you are 100% sure that you are adjusting the level control knob not the crossover frequency knob, right ? Sorry, but we have to ask

At first glance it does sound as if there might be a problem with the electronics -- but if there is Axiom would just send you out a new amp; you wouldn't have to ship the whole sub. Replacing the amp is pretty easy.

Definitely call Axiom before you go any further. They keep pretty long hours and have support on the weekends as well, so even being a bunch of time zones away shouldn't be a big problem.

We'll keep our fingers crossed here

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#129915 03/02/06 09:34 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks for the help again. I have emailed axiom for help, and I will post as soon as they reply, for those who are interested. I feel that this forum is extremely useful for many queries, and the promptness of the replies is astounding. I'm proud to say that I feel very welcome, even though I'm 18 years old and a bit of a newbie.

The email I have sent to axiom is as follows:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I recently purchased one of your EP350 subwoofers, and I seem to be having problems. After posting on your message boards, I am lead to believe that this may be a problem with the subwoofer its self, not my receiver. I am just wondering if you can shed any light on the matter.

My setup is as follows:

Yamaha RX-V657 Receiver
2 x M3Ti Fronts
2 x M3Ti Surrounds
VP-100 Centre
EP-350 Subwoofer

Link to the forum posts: http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=HT&Number=129932&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

My EP350 is connected to the line level output on my receiver, as highlighted below:

<Image of rear panel of receiver>

I can also confirm that the subwoofer is enabled in the settings of the receiver, with a crossover frequency of 80Hz, and subwoofer level set to around half way. The crossover dial on the rear of the subwoofer is set to the maximum, 120Hz. The first issue I seem to be suffering with involves the auto cut-off switch in the subwoofer. If I set the master volume to -40.0dB on the receiver, the sub tends to switch on and off in mid-flow, as though it is not receiving a strong enough signal. If i turn the subwoofer level all the way up on the receiver, I still have this problem, however the problem ceases if I turn the master volume on the receiver to -25.0dB or more, and the subwoofer functions. As I increase the master volume on the receiver, the volume of the subwoofer then increases in proportion to the rest of the speakers, as expected, suggesting that the signal is getting through to the subwoofer correctly. I do confess that I am using a home-made cable, as I am experienced with the use of soldering irons so I used a high-grade, very thick coaxial cable with braided shielding, and self-soldered plugs. The distance the signal travels is roughly 10m, under the carpet around my room. I constantly check the cable for heat, and the cable is always cold which suggests that there is little or no resistance being caused by the cable, allowing the signal to pass through the cable as it should. As the replies on my forum post suggest, these are not major problems, as the volume of the subwoofer does increase with the master volume of the system. The main problem, however, occurs when attempting to control the subwoofer independantly. If I adjust the master volume on the receiver so that the subwoofer is receiving a good signal, i.e. -25.0dB or more with subwoofer level at full, the subwoofer is functioning as expected. I have the subwoofer's volume dial currently set to near minimum, around 8:00. The bass at this setting, as I consider, is very weak and is satisfactory for music listening, however not for movies. If I put a movie on, and attempt to increase the volume on the back of the subwoofer, the volume control will do nothing, no matter how far I turn it. The volume of the subwoofer will only increase when the master volume on the receiver is increased, even with the subwoofer level set to the very maximum on the receiver. I am 100% certain that everything is set up correctly in the receiver and I know I have connected the subwoofer correctly which leads me to believe that I could have a faulty amplifier in the subwoofer, as the volume control on the rear will only decrease volume, not increase it, even when the subwoofer level on my receiver is set to the maximum. This is proving very frustrating as I feel that my subwoofer is barely being used, and I would like the subwoofer to cut in on lower master volumes as well. I was informed on the forum posts that all I had to do to remedy this was increase the subwoofer level on the receiver by one or two dB, however I am having little luck even with the level set at full. I feel I have no control over my subwoofer.

I do not currently have the order number as I ordered the subwoofer on my mum's card, but you will find the order details under a ************************************************************************
Thank you for your time, I hope that together we can remedy this problem. Please send any replies to all three of the following as I am often in different locations due to work and home/travelling:- *****************************************************

Yours faithfully,

******(mr_rodge).

EP350 - similar problem
#129916 03/02/06 03:25 PM
veteran
veteran
Hi, a new member here.

I am experiencing a similar problem with EP 350. It takes an extremely high level of the input signal to wake the sub up. The output level of my AVR is set to +5db and the master volume control has to be turned to -20db. When the sub wakes up (and the red LED switches to green) at this level it is so loud that I have to keep the sub volume almost at 0. Definitely not the normal regime.

I am awaiting for the amplifier replacement, hope it will cure the problem.

Regards,

Gena

Re: EP350 - similar problem
#129917 03/02/06 06:40 PM
I guess I'm confused by all of this, the sub will not wake up until it receives a LFE signal from either a CD or Movie. Depending on where you have the crossover, it is possible you won't get anything in those lower frequencies. Many CD's never get that low anyway. If you cranking up the volume to try to wake up the sub, that is the wrong approach. +5 seems high, I would try starting around 0dB's and then adjust the sub volume until you've achieved an SPL of 75dB's or so, if you have a RS meter to check. When I owned a 350, it was about at the 12 o'clock position, and the AVR was on -2dB's to achieve 75dB's SPL. Make sure you have your crossover out of the way and turned clockwise to the max.

Put a movie in with lots of LFE and the 350 will wake up.

#129918 03/02/06 09:28 PM
veteran
veteran
Sure I did all that:

1. I set the crossovers on all my channels to 80Hz and the EP350 crossover was all way up at 120Hz.

2. Calibrated reverence level from DVE did wake the sub up and the SPL was between 75dB and 80dV. However, movies and CD's with plenty of bass were having a problem - and the sub was asleep until the main level was at -20. And that was not the receiver problem - my other sub, Onkyo, was happy to awake up at normal levels.

Thanks,
Gena

#129919 03/03/06 03:05 PM
You might want to call Axiom then, my 350 would come on at a lot lower levels than that, however, now I own a 500 so all is different.

#129920 03/03/06 04:02 PM
veteran
veteran
That's exactly my thinking, so instead of replacing the amp now I'm awaiting for the EP500 Should be here next week.

Question: do you keep it on all the time? Use the 12V trigger?

thanks,
Gena

#129921 03/03/06 04:06 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Gena? Another girl in the group? Will you be sticking around here after you get your EP500? I could use the company...and these guys would love it even more!

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
#129922 03/03/06 04:56 PM
veteran
veteran
Sure,
I find this board extremely helpful, pleasant, and courteous:)

#129923 03/03/06 05:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Good choice on the 500, you'll love it. When I had the 350 I didn't use the trigger and left it on all the time. The 500 stays on all the time also.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
#129924 03/03/06 05:17 PM
Yep, I just use the standard Coax Line-In jack, the sub is always on... Girl, are you in for a suprise, thump, boom, bang.

#129925 03/03/06 09:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

I find this board extremely helpful, pleasant, and courteous:)

Well, we've been know to have our indefensible spats, and the occasional troll, and things occasionally get out of hand. But, by and large, this forum is an oasis of reasonableness, in a desert of chaos. You are most welcome Gena. It's good to have a little estrogen to counteract the sometimes excessive testosterone around here.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#129926 03/07/06 02:31 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hi Rodge

This is certainly a bizarre problem I would suggest to make sure that it is not the receiver run this simple test. Disconnect the RCA cable from the receiver and connect it to the CD or DVD player audio right or left Channel out. This will be a direct single from the audio source at that point you should be able to turn the volume up or down on the subwoofer and notice a difference in volume. If you do not get a lot of volume do not be concerned because we are bypassing the preamp. But this should tell you whether the volume switch on the subwoofer is functioning properly. When you have done this test e-mail me and let me know the results. Also be sure that you have switched the subwoofer to 220V NOT the 110V.

Joe VaSSallo

Hi,

Many thanks for the prompt reply. I am certain that the subwoofer is set to 220V, to suit UK outlets. I'm actually at work at the moment and not able to do the test, however I am fairly confident that there is no real fault with the volume switch, as the volume does turn down and then back up, but only so far. When the volume dial gets to about 9 o clock the volume ceases to increase, no matter how far it is turned. I will still carry out the test and email you with a result.

Thanks again for the response.

Rodge.

Joe,

Following our communication regarding my EP350, I have carried out the test with the dvd player and concluded that the volume switch is not faulty on the sub. Whilst testing the subwoofer at lower master volumes, however, I still seem to be having cut-off problems, and at higher volumes (receiver on -20.0dB, subwoofer level at 0dB and subwoofer volume control at about 9 o clock) I am getting strange distortion/rattling noises from the sub for certain movie titles, even though the volume isn't extraordinarily high. The movie in particular where this is at its worst is Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, the very first scene where the nuclear bomb hits the ground. The sub's woofer appears to move amazing distances, whilst not being particularly loud, and the distortion is somewhat annoying. Surely the sub should be capable of managing much higher volumes than this without distortion? I have seen excellent reviews of the sub when paired with much larger speakers than my M3's, and I therefore expected more from it. Whether this has anything to do with the problems I am suffering I'm not sure as I am fairly new to AV. (Only 18 years old!)

Rodge.

#129927 03/10/06 02:42 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
As of yet...still no reply! Help!

#129928 03/10/06 04:42 PM
veteran
veteran
Rodge,

I recommend to call Axiom and ask for a replacement amplifier. They are very easy to swap - you just unscrew the screws and reconnect the wires inside. That way you will not have to send the whole sub back.

#129929 03/11/06 01:44 AM
Rodge, on the UK section of the Axiom homepage there's a toll free UK phone number(001-866-244-8796)to call for assistance. It may be less awkward to speak directly with Joe rather than going back-and-forth with e-mails. As Gena points out, if the amplifier is defective another one could be sent out; this wouldn't require shipping the sub back.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082