Print Thread
Rate Thread
Best way to splice speaker wire?
#130824 03/07/06 03:57 AM
ChrisR Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
General contractor put in a French door in our redone family room; unfortunately in the process, cut one of the 2 pre-existing in-wall speaker wires to the rear channels. He transferred the wire (12G) into the basement, and used some cheap 16 or 18G lamp cord to connect the 2 cut ends - using standard orange wire connectors.

I know I don't want the change in cable guage, but is this a kosher way to connect cut speaker cable? Can I expect any sound distortion from this?

I'm planning on running cable to put up 2 additional QS8s for a 7.1 system, and am debating redoing from scratch the 2 pre-wired channels (placed by previous owner). I was wondering if it's better to use as is (easier) or start from scratch - a royal pain.

M60s, VP150, QS8 x4 ACI Titan II sub Anthem AVM20 pre/pro Anthem PVA7 amp Panasonic DVD-RP91
Re: Best way to splice speaker wire?
#130825 03/07/06 04:18 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I had to splice some cable after running short with a attic run, used the same gage and didn't notice any difference. But i'm using that speaker in the rear as part of my 7.1, I'm not sure how it would effect more prominently used speakers.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
#130826 03/07/06 04:29 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Chris, the splice that the contractor(obviously not a victim of audio mythologies) made was entirely "kosher"(assuming that he did the splice carefully)and there's no need to be concerned about "cheap" lampcord. It's the overall resistance from end-to-end of the wire that counts, and adding a short section of 16 or 18 gauge wire might have the effect of making a 12 gauge wire have about 12.01 gauge resistance. This isn't analogous to a four lane highway suddenly turning into an eight foot wide dirt road; relax.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#130827 03/07/06 05:12 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
If it’s in the wall, do the splice right. Plus, it’s a code violation to have any splice outside of a J-box anyway. But being low voltage, you can probably get away with a splice if it’s done right. – code is there for a reason, to protect you, your family and whoever may live in the house after your gone (my lecture for those who think it’s OK to ignore building codes).

Get yourself some shrink tube for both the conductors and the cable. I’d use a but connector at minimum, and solder if you know how to do that. Run your shrink tube over each conductor and shrink it. Then run the larger shrink over the cable for protection and shrink that.

Or just pull in new wire if you can, which would be my preference.

#130828 03/07/06 06:35 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
It's a violation of NEC to make a splice in even low voltage applications outside of a junction box? Really? Then I've never seen a correctly wired furnace's call for heat/call for cold lines.

Chris, you know the splice is there, it's eating you up inside, I tend to think that no matter how much we assuage your fears that you'll still listen critically to your surrounds, thinking.. maybe... did I just hear that...

Do whatever it is you need to do to make yourself feel good about it. As is, his fix will be good enough unless you've got a really long run... if marretting a new piece of 12ga in there is what it'll take for you to feel okay about it, then do that, if crimp-on butt connectors is your "minimum" - do that, solder and shrink tube or just replacing the runs... whatever is going to keep you from wondering whether or not you hear something "off" back there.

Bren R.

#130829 03/09/06 09:23 PM
aficionado
aficionado
codes around here dont allow a junction box to be buried so there would have to be an access panel to the splice
mdrew ignoring building codes pisses me off also

Last edited by rcvecc; 03/09/06 09:30 PM.
#130830 03/10/06 01:55 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
"It's a violation of NEC to make a splice in even low voltage applications outside of a junction box? Really? Then I've never seen a correctly wired furnace's call for heat/call for cold lines."

Each country/state/municipality has its own code governing requirements. The NEC is the bible for the US and it is either followed verbatim, or superseded by stricter / unique local codes. I have not ever seen where local code is more ‘lenient’, but usually has more stringent requirements. And then there is the inspector who interprets code, which varies greatly. The inspector has the final say unless you want to take his ruling to the local building department for arbitration.

An in wall or underground splice is OK, as long as it’s done per the NEC and local code requirements. 99 times out of 100, wire nuts do not qualify for these situations, regardless of voltage as they do have a large potential to come off or not provide adequate binding of conductors. Even mili-amp circuits have the potential to be an ignition source (class one / div one for example where mili amp control circuits run throughout PSM covered industrial process areas). After time, studs get very, very dry and damn near anything can set them off, regardless of voltage. Ever respond to a trailer house fire? Doesn’t take long for them to go up in smoke.

Whenever a spice is done that will not be accessible, it MUST be done per code requirements which will mean it has to be done in a J-box or panel that is either non conductive or grounded. If it is accessible, wire nuts will usually suffice, but again, local code dictates that requirement.

With in wall wiring, J-boxe splices are considered ‘accessible’, provided that they are not covered by wall board which would mean that you need to use a J-box and cover plate.

I’m not advocating that anyone perform any kind of in wall splice without doing it in an approved J-box or termination panel, PER CODE. But, if one just insists on shortcutting and ignoring that advice, the splice technique I recommend will be the safest bet and I’d rather suggest that someone do that, than simply twisting a couple wire nuts on it. I can at least have a guilt free conscience that I attempted to steer someone in the right direction and their home stands a slightly better chance of not going up in flames.

I’m a volunteer fire fighter and industrial fire brigade member. I’ve seen a lot of fire and smoke for stupid assed reasons that were TOTALLY avoidable.

Disclaimer: I do not carry a current electrical fitness card and am not licensed or qualified to give any electrical wiring advice. Always consult with a licensed electrician and take internet suggestions/advise with caution.

#130831 03/10/06 08:25 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In this case, we're only talking IN-WALL, right? Just your original wording made it seem like we were talking about splices even in free space.

Bren R.

#130832 03/10/06 03:24 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Yes.

#130833 03/10/06 04:14 PM
B
connoisseur