Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Amps????
#132670 03/23/06 12:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I started to not make another post on this thread, but, once again, we have someone confusing opinion with physics.

That is a terrible mistake to make over and over and over again!!!!!!!!!!

Fact not Opinion.

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV
#132671 03/23/06 09:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well ratpack, you are correct. I listen to different amps in a given system, I use my mark-1 stereo aural receiver system hooked to a 1300 cc wetwork mushware computer (version 4.5 billion) with 50 squintillion possible non-binary neuronal connections and built in processing, rely on first hand experience of the audio output from systems with variables limited to different amps, and ... out comes an opinion. Wait ... here it is ... amps make an audible difference.

Now, true, I don't close both my eyes when I switch amps, so, I guess my tests are not of the double blind variety.

If you believe that all solid state amps of similar output are the same, you should buy the cheapest amp you can find. Interesting that the reductionist/positivist outlook impels the conclusion that of a population of amps with similar specs price (and perhaps warranty, cosmetics, or brand-name impact) is the only basis for distinguishing between them.

Now, I don't believe that more money necessarily gets you a better component, how could any Axiom fan believe such a proposition?

On a more serious note, I've been thinking about PMB's "blatt" comment. Now, I do believe that a system's ability to reproduce "blatt" is a major indicator of its sound quality. I have heard a major difference between systems' abilities to reproduce blatt, but the variable I was listening for was speaker choice, not amps. I think it would make an interesting test to see if different amps have any effect on a given system's ability to blatt well.

Funny thing about physics and opinions ... ratpack you are correct. I base my opinions on output rather than theory. How does it sound, rather than how does the spec sheet look. Thanks for the clarification.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#132672 03/23/06 10:56 PM
veteran
veteran
OK! I am sure Jimmie is thoroughly confused by now! :-)

4 M80s/VP150/EP600/Denon AVR-5308 & DVD-2910/
2 QSC SRA3622(1100wattsX2)/Carvin 1800HD(600wattsX2)
#132673 03/23/06 11:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If he's not, I am

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
#132674 03/24/06 03:25 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

"but that if you were listening to several well-designed amps regardless of price with no clue of which was which, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference."

I think for a lot of people this is true, but not all people. As a general statement you are probably correct. One of my friends buys the more expensive models simply because they look nice and sometimes because "they have the cool blue LEDs". He can hardly tell the difference between a lot of speakers, but he does know aesthetics.

I once had an Adcom GFA-535II stereo amp (55 W/channel) and eventually replaced it with one of Yamaha's top of the line Prologic receivers (that is, it was the top of the line model when it came out - 90W/channel).

Both were expensive, both had great numbers on paper but with the same speakers, components, cables, etc. the Yamaha sounded dull compared to the Adcom. I eventually sold the Yamaha to pick up a Hamon Kardon which sounded better. I had both the Adcom and Yamaha for about three years each so I became very familiar with their sound.

In this case, it supports Alan's article. Due to the space being dedicated to the components rather than the components being dedicated to the space, the separate amp outperformed the receiver. That being said, receivers have come a long way since then.

Sound quality issues aside, the OP, I believe was simply looking for "more sound". In his case, going to a QSC amp and looking for something in the 1200+ watt range would make a difference, although I doubt he "needs" it. For my needs at the time, the 55W/channel was plenty and I never listened to it maxed out. Junping to 90W/channel made no difference. The speakers I used were Mirage's M3-si which were very inefficient at 83dB@2.83V/1m.

At 130W/channel, unless the original user has a HUGE space, that should be plenty of power for most situations.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters