system placement for newbie
#132911 03/22/06 08:56 PM
J
JLarg Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
J
Newbie here and I have a few simple questions. I am building a new game/TV room that is going to be 20 X 40 in size. My question is, can I place my big screen TV in one corner of the room and set up a 7.1 system to cover the entire room, or should I just focus on getting the best sound to the (TV area) roughly half of the room? Also, would it be better to place the TV on the 20 ft flat wall instead of the corner for better speaker coverage or will the corner placement be OK. Finally, the ceiling is about a 15' cathedral. How best to place my rear speakers? Stands are not really an option (pool table), so could I mount from the ceiling (might look kind of weird) or can I go to the back wall and have them facing the TV about 38 feet away? Thanks in advance for the help and I can clarify anything that is not clear.

Re: system placement for newbie
#132912 03/22/06 09:07 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
that is a huge room like mine, 30ft x 31ft I would say for HT applications, you would want the speakers in that general area. It is ok to have some seperation, but to use the whole room would ruin the effect. Now for music, my mains still fill the whole room, and you could run some extra speakers for when you have people over shooting a game of pool. My guess is you won't have to worry, as long as you pick the right speakers.

If I were you, instead of a TV, you might want to consider a Front Projector and a large screen, nothing compares to having your own theater, if you have the room for it. It is a lot easier to get warranty on a 12lb projector, than a huge TV.

I would say try to figure out a way to hang the Qs8's from the ceiling and/or walls or combination of the two. They are very forgiving. Can you give us a picture and/or photo? Also, for that big of room you might want to consider a 7.1 setup. You don't refer to them as rears for a 5.1 setup, they are left/right surrounds, they don't go behind you, unless you have a 7.1 setup, or if you don't have any other options.

I plan to post some pictures later tonight in the Home Theater section. Welcome...

Randy

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Re: system placement for newbie
#132913 03/22/06 09:19 PM
J
JLarg Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
J
Thanks. The room is just now under construction so I don't have pictures, but I want to make sure I get the wires up before drywall. I am planning on a 7.1 system and I can mount the side speakers a few feet behind the main seating area on the wall. But, if I mount the rear speakers on the back wall, they will be a L-O-N-G way away from the TV. Regarding the TV, I already have a Hitachi TV about two years old, so a projector is not an option although I agree they are great. Thanks for the quick help.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044