Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Is it possible to hook sub to integrated amp??
#133337 03/25/06 08:26 PM
ToddE Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
I mean, I know you can. I have a NAD 352 integrated amp and I know it can be hooked up. But, I am wondering how. Since there are no crossovers on an integrated, how would that work? I am buying some monitors for two channel music and I wondered about setting up a sub. Thanks in advance......

Re: Is it possible to hook sub to integrated amp??
#133338 03/25/06 09:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hopefully, you are not talking about hooking it up to a powered sub! That would be a no, no.

All you would have to do is take the subwoofer output from your receiver to the amp input and then connect the output of the amp to the sub.

You need to insure that the amp has sufficient power in the spectrual responce range of the sub, say 20Hz - 100Hz. If it doesn't, then you may have an issue.

Good Luck.

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV
#133339 03/26/06 03:51 AM
shareholder in the making
Todd, welcome. Assuming that you're referring to a sub with a built-in amp, there're two possibilities. Since your 352 has no subwoofer output the simplest procedure would probably be to connect regular speaker wire from the 352's output terminals to the high-level speaker inputs on the sub(assuming that it has them). These speaker wires to the sub would run in parallel with the usual speaker wires going from the same terminals to the monitor speakers(trim the ends of the wires if necessary to make them fit the terminals). Depending on the sub, an alternative connection to the speakers could be made if the sub has high-level speaker outputs for them, but you haven't described the sub that you're considering.

Your 352 also has a second set of left/right pre-outs which could possibly be connected to the sub with two coaxial cables if it has left/right line level inputs(the use of a Y-connector at the pre-outs to feed one coaxial cable is controversial and could cause problems).

Since the 352 has no bass management provisions the monitors would run full-range(unless the sub would happen to have a high-pass filter to the mains)and you'd use the internal sub crossover adjustment to roll it off at a frequency where you judged that it blended well with the mains.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#133340 03/26/06 12:29 PM
ToddE Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
John K,

The subs I am looking at are the HSU HTF1 and the SVS PB-10. I am purchasing the Salk Veracity HT-1's. I have never used a sub. I am not one into thumping bass anyway. I've never heard these speakers, but I never heard my Axiom's either. There are some great write ups on these speakers. It says that these will give plenty of bass but not earth shaking. I think alot of those comments are directed at home theater. This will only be for two channel. I'm still a little confused about the set-up. Again, these subs would have to have the crossover, correct?
And, the "output termimals"? You mean those on the back of the amp, right? Do the subs I am mentioning have those things? It looks like it from reading the specs. I am not an audophile by any means as you can probably see...........

#133341 03/26/06 02:48 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

The PB 10 has no crossover built into in it but the STF 1 does. Neither of these subs has the L/R inputs on the amp that is needed for a 2 channel set up. You could use the Hsu sub with the high level input though. What you do is run speaker wire to the sub then from the sub back to the speakers.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#133342 03/26/06 04:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Todd, what finish are you getting the HT1s in? I have heard many good things about Salk speakers. Please post your impressions when you get them. I believe the HT1 play down to about 45hZ, so they seem to be pretty capable monitors in the bass dept.

You're the second member of these boards to get some Jim Salk speakers. I believe Koiman has the HT3s. I'm officially jealous.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
#133343 03/26/06 04:54 PM
ToddE Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Bird's Eye Maple. It matches my downstairs decor. Jim said they should be packaged and sent this week. I can't wait. Thanks for your response. As I said earlier, I'm not much of a bass man. Do you think these speakers would be fine without a sub? I've read reviews that said they should. My Axiom stuff is still in the system and if I get things situated, I might do a comparison...

#133344 03/26/06 05:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
To run a sub or not is completely subjective. If you have a small room the HT1s may provide enough bass. I think the HT1s may extend low enough not to warrant a sub, but I have never heard them so I am just speculating. Listen to them both ways and see what you prefer. There really is no right or wrong.

Man, I think a lot of people would like to read a comparison of Axioms vs. Salks. Pics are a must when you get your new speakers. I find Jim's work breathtaking.

By the way, which Axiom speakers do you own?

Last edited by St_PatGuy; 03/26/06 05:51 PM.

#133345 03/26/06 06:25 PM
ToddE Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
I own the 60's and I love these speakers. I am anxiously waiting their arrival. I will let everyone know how they are!!

#133346 03/26/06 06:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Salk does make some of the finest looking speakers I've seen, and would love to hear a comparison to Axiom.
I considered going with Salk for my 2 channel system I'm putting together, but ended up going with Tyler Acoustics out of Kentucky, I'll post some pics and a comparison as soon as they arrive.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
#133347 03/26/06 06:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Alright! Thanks, you guys.

#133348 03/27/06 04:21 AM
Okay Todd, as Rick mentioned, the PB-10 would be incompatible with your 352, as it's designed for use only with HT receivers having bass management through a sub output. The STF-1 would be suitable, but I'd suggest that you also consider the similar Outlaw LFM-2, which was designed by Dr. Hsu in conjunction with Outlaw. Apparently it's tuned for a slightly deeper bass extension than the STF-1, which would result in slightly less maximum output capability higher up, but this trade-off may be preferred.

Using either of those subs, speaker wire connections could be made in two ways: running separate sets of wires in parallel from the 352 output terminals to the sub and speakers, or running one set of wires to the sub and then running sets of wires from the speaker outputs on the sub to the main speakers(whichever would be more convenient for you, they're identical electrically).

The outputs on the subs don't have a high-pass filter for the speakers, it's a straight through full-range feed(note that the internal crossover in subs has no effect on the main speakers, even when they're connected through the sub, it simply rolls the sub itself off above the selected frequency). So, the HT-1s would run full-range and you'd adjust the crossover on the sub to a frequency that you judged created a good blend.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#133349 03/27/06 12:05 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
I would also suggest you take a look at the Onix X-Sub . My son has one in his two channel set up and it does a wonderful job. The fit and finish are first rate imo.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#133350 03/27/06 09:57 PM
ToddE Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Thanks again Wid and JohnK......I really do appreciate the quality responses on this forum. That's why I joined and got my Axioms in the first place.

#133351 03/28/06 02:49 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I'll second Wids suggestion of the x-sub. I gots me one too. It is very nice, indeed, for a two-channel set up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020