OP Offline
hobbyist
S
Had the chance this weekend to listen to
KEF XQ5, XQ2c, XQ1
Paradigm S8, C3, ADP
Axiom M60ti, VP150, QS8
and
Definitive BP7000SC System with separate sub.

I would like to give my impressions in hopes it could help someone who is shopping or just curious about the equipment but please understand the following when reading this:

1. I am not a longtime owner of high end or even midfi audio equipment. I do not own a shop or listen to tons of different equipment on a regular basis. I have no hearing problems but I am 41.
2. I do own Axiom M60ti, VP150, QS8,Yamaha RX-V2400, Velodyne DLS-4000 Sub. I have had an excellent customer experience with Axiom so it is possible that I am biased but I will try to be objective. I am just a customer, not an employee or something like that.
3. Sorry for taking so much space. I will not be offended if Axiom wants to delete this, or by opposing viewpoints.

The KEFs, Paradigms, and Axioms had a listen in a room about 15 x13’ with fairly reflective wall surfaces(the usual painted sheet rock). To me all three sets sounded fantastic and remarkably similar. I think I could recognize them in a blind A/B test in the same room at the same time but not blindly identify one by playing only it on a different day. Not 100% sure of this, but that was my impression.

The biggest differences may actually be the looks and finish. I would say the Paradigms had the best overall look, I would prefer the wood to the black finish which was available. It has a slim look but the feet make it very stable. The KEFs were a metallic charcoal(my personal preference would be wood). To my eyes, the best built fit and finish wise. They would also be the best looking if it was not for the tweeter which is mounted on top of the cabinet. I can’t decide if this is strange or cool looking and seems more prone to damage then if it was in the cabinet. The Axioms you can see for yourself. If you look real close you can tell that the finish is a vinyl tape, it is nice, but not on par with the others IMHO. They blend nicely into my place though and they are heard and not seen, especially next to a rack of equipment and an RP TV.

Most of the listening was music in 5 channel mode with subwoofer. This was side by side but not A/B. All 3 sounded great, lots of detail, you could hear performers inhale and guitar picks slide. All gave me the illusion of live music with the performers in the room.

KEFs. For some reason I expected them to sound the best. They sounded great, very similar to the others but a little “smaller” and ever so slightly less detailed. Those tweeters did not do what I expected, or more accurately, I could not perceive it. I still have the feeling they would outperform in a smaller room but we did not get to try it. Maybe I’m just a new world guy, but I found these slightly disappointing compared to my expectations.

Paradigms. These had a lot of detail and the most bass of the three. Not sure the bass went lower than the Axioms. They were very pleasant to listen to and lost their physical position in the room the best.

Axioms. I thought the Axioms had the most detail. I cannot say whether they were the most accurate or if the mid/high was slightly overemphasized. I think I would need a reference and an A/B test for that. They gave me a very slightly more “live performance” feeling than the others.

To me, all the differences were very subtle. I would be very happy owning any one of these and not feel like I was missing anything or compromising in any way.

The Definitives were in a different room so no side-by-side. Wow, these things rock the house hard. The room was about 25’ x 23’ and sound damped but these things still sound like they might be better in a real movie theater. Maybe I was biased knowing these were Bipoles, but to me they did not sound as accurate as the other 3. Hard to describe but everything sounds “big” like three people playing or singing in perfect unison(but not harmony or doubled like some recordings) and there is no echo sound effect. The sound is very pleasant, and I think an accurate case can be made that it improves on the sound of the original recording. For music, I prefer the other 3, but don’t dislike this.

For movies, these are great. I think movie effects with Axioms (I don’t have an EP600) are awesome, with these, spectacular, especially for things with size like scifi and explosions. Really takes you there. If I ever have a giant room and a spare 25k I would definitely consider these.

Re: KEF XQ5, Paradigm S8, M60, Side by each, Def H
#133746 03/28/06 11:48 PM
veteran
veteran
OK.

4 M80s/VP150/EP600/Denon AVR-5308 & DVD-2910/
2 QSC SRA3622(1100wattsX2)/Carvin 1800HD(600wattsX2)
Re: KEF XQ5, Paradigm S8, M60, Side by each, Def HT
#133747 03/29/06 02:33 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Nice write-up, speakerchooser. It's fun to listen to different speakers, and hard to write about it afterwards (at least in my opinion). Good job.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Re: KEF XQ5, Paradigm S8, M60, Side by each, Def HT
#133748 03/29/06 03:00 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
So when is Axiom going to come out with real wood venier as a custom finish???

(!)

#133749 03/30/06 08:30 PM
devotee
devotee
Thanks for your post.

In reply to:

The Definitives were in a different room so no side-by-side. Wow, these things rock the house hard. The room was about 25’ x 23’ and sound damped but these things still sound like they might be better in a real movie theater. Maybe I was biased knowing these were Bipoles, but to me they did not sound as accurate as the other 3. Hard to describe but everything sounds “big” like three people playing or singing in perfect unison(but not harmony or doubled like some recordings) and there is no echo sound effect. The sound is very pleasant, and I think an accurate case can be made that it improves on the sound of the original recording. For music, I prefer the other 3, but don’t dislike this.

I had the Mirage bipolars for a number of years. I prefer them to Definitive Technologies. I love the sound a nice bipolar makes for stereo listening but when it comes to multichannel or home theater I found the sound too diffuse and lacking in the pin-point accuracy. I would say that the Def Techs are not as accurate as the other brands you listened to. The newer Paradigm Reference speakers rank high on my list of preferred speakers for critical listening. Didn't care for their earlier models because they purposfully coloured their sound.

#133750 04/01/06 12:23 AM
S
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
Thanks for kind comments everyone.

Bruce,

Never heard Mirage, they sure look nice. This was my first listen to a Bipolar speaker.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044