Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Recomended setup with Yami RX-V2600
#133968 04/09/06 12:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

1) If I do get a SPL metre should I get a analogue or digital - does it matter?
2) I see the Yami can put out a test tone, is this OK or do I need a test disk?

1. It doesn't matter. Some prefer the analog; some the digital. I'm among the latter. Either will do the job.
2. The tones in the Yami will suffice. Check the Yami's manual to be sure, but most receiver's indicate their tones should be set to a level of 75 dB.

The discs, however, offer a lot more than just tones to balance your audio system, and are worthwhile if they fit the budget.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#133969 04/09/06 04:51 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

do I need a test disk?

No, but as stated above, there is a lot of nice tests to make sure frequency changes from mains to sub are seamless.

#133970 04/09/06 08:49 PM
local
local
I have an RX-V2500 and I prefer the digital.

Axion in melbourne
#133971 04/12/06 05:56 PM
hi how are you, i i am interested in buying Axiom speakers, and would like to know your experience with them because i am planning to get the same epic60,500 system
i am in melbourne, and where abouts in sydney do you live?
and how dose the 30 day trial thing work in OZ, coz sending them back to canada will cost an arm and leg.
look forward to hear from you
best regards
kashif.
k.yassen@iinet.net.au

Re: Axion in melbourne
#133972 04/13/06 12:48 AM
jmone Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Hi Kash,
I'm traveling at the moment so am not getting to play with them as much as I would like. While this thread (and many others) discusses the speakers my experience with Axiom overall has been great:
1) Get a quote from them as the shipping adds a significant bit to the price....but to help offset this I did the 10% FO and 5% systems discount....but then I had to wait 6 weeks! I asked plenty of questions back and forward with "Brent" who was their sales guy - all of which was handled well. As the wait was going to take soooo long they were even happy to split the payment to suite me.
2) The actual shipping OS part of the shipping was incredibly quick - something like 3 days and trackable all the way. The last 20KM from Customs to Me took almost as long!
3) Axiom have a 30-day trial that only needs you to ship back to a Sydney address (not that I think I will need it). There may be a Melb address, again ask it in your e-mail for a quote.
4) I live on the Nth Shore (between Chatswood and Manly) and if you are around (and I'm finally back in town!) I'd be happy to Audition them for you!

All in all the process was good - just the additional $$$ for the shipping made me really consider the value for money aspect but the 30 day return to a local address make the risk acceptable - and so far I'm good!

Thanks
Nathan

HT:M80,VP150,QS8,EP500 Outside:4xM3 Office:AudioBytes, Rumpus: M60,VP150,M22 Portable:2 x Airs
Re: Axion in melbourne
#133973 04/13/06 02:19 AM
aficionado
aficionado
It's amazing how much different ones ears are to another

I did the auto thing with my 4600. i hated it. Man I could not stand it. I also hated the pure direct crap. Horrible way too much mid's, no crisp detailed highs and bass was just a small thump.

Spent a lot of time making manual adjustments through the eq, distances and so on. I drove myself nuts with it basically. But I have a sound that is so much better then that ypao nonsense gave me that is for sure. Heck, straight out of the box I hated the sound of the yamaha. Now I love it.

2xAA
M80/VP150/VP160/QS8
4xM3/M22OW/M2OW/VP150OW/4xM3IC/4xM3OW
EP500/800/HSU VTF3/SVS PB2k/SB2k/SB-12
Latest Impressions - Setup with a SPL Meter!
#133974 05/20/06 06:03 AM
jmone Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I now have my SPL meter and using the Avia disk have now balanced my speaker levels manually (but have left the EQ settings to what ever the Yami selected). A couple of observations when using the test tones:
1) The vol levels were not toooo different from that the Yami Auto setup did
2) You can really pick the defused nature of the QS8 over the direct radiating front stage.
3) The cross over for LFE from the speakers to the sub is perfect at 80mhz…well I can not pick the transition!

After all this I now know why the sub is causing me grief. I still have to have the EP500 turned way down both in the Amp and at the back of the EP500 to have it “balanced” according to the SPL readings. Unfortunately it is all too obvious that much of the recorded sound levels were the vibrations from my doors, windows, light fittings, wood floors, glassware and even one of the walls felt compelled to join the fun at different frequencies.

I am amazed at how poor my room is at handling LF and now terrified that there is no easy fix!

I’d characterise this room as acoustically “hard” as it has
* a suspended floor boards (eg build on footings),
* front and back “walls” are wooden sash hung windows / doors (with only light weight curtains),
* the right hand wall is that “fake” wood panelling attached directly to the frame,
* half the left hand is opens to the dining room with the other half leading to a hallway that can be closed off by French style doors that also rattle like a banshee, and
* at least the ceiling is of old style heavy plaster / fibre.

Any advice over either moving house of completing gutting the room would be gratefully appreciated!

I’ve even thought I could ditch the whole setup for a Bose Cube or even those US$70 Radio Shack speakers that I saw when getting my SPL meter today. Imagine the bliss, I could go back to the “good old days” where:
1) I didn’t have to re-rip all my music to a lossless format (because let’s face it MP3’s may sound good in your car or portable player but just suck with the Axioms)
2) I was never annoyed (because I never noticed) the dynamic compression on some CD’s (what are they thinking when the master some of these!)
3) I’d never head of sibilance and that some artists really need to be more careful in making their recordings
4) FM was high fidelity
5) My family and friends didn’t think I have some weird sonic compulsion
**** Ignorance was Bliss! ****

HT:M80,VP150,QS8,EP500 Outside:4xM3 Office:AudioBytes, Rumpus: M60,VP150,M22 Portable:2 x Airs
Re: Latest Impressions - Setup with a SPL Meter!
#133975 05/20/06 06:54 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Indeed, Nathan; now that you have new speakers and sub, you find that you also need a new house!

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (Cork, chapin99), 316 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup