Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
TRL Sony CD Changer Modification?
#134199 04/03/06 05:01 PM
jazZed Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Not to start a science vs smoke&mirrors debate - but as I own the Sony (CE595) in question - this review intrigues me:

TRL Sony CE595 Mod

Has anyone had personal experience with a TRL modification? I'd appreciate any thoughts on going this route...

M80v2
Outlaw RR2150
Denon 3910
Re: TRL Sony CD Changer Modification?
#134200 04/03/06 05:08 PM
shareholder in the making
It doesn't mention specifically what the mod actually changes -- or maybe I just didn't read it carefully enough.

#134201 04/03/06 06:27 PM
jazZed Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
unlike the modders who list parts/procedures, evidently TRL is quite tight-lipped re their 'proprietary' mod...

M80v2
Outlaw RR2150
Denon 3910
#134202 04/03/06 07:55 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Quite honesty if you want to spend that kinda money for an improvement, I would buy a sub long before any mod of this type.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#134203 04/04/06 04:00 AM
J, nothing about that specific "mod", but in general "mods" which purport to audibly improve units which already reproduce what's on discs audibly flawlessly(e.g. your 595)are rip-offs.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#134204 04/04/06 04:36 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I just have to shake my head at the immodesty and presumption of a true believer whose faith requires the conclusion that all CD players sound the same when anyone who has done any critical listening of different CD players in a given system would know the "all CDPs are the same" mantra is so much foolishness.

I have gone through many CD players, some very highly regarded by reviewers, like the Cambridge D500SE, the Pioneer DV 578AS, which I've sold or otherwise passed along because they are not as good as better units. Now, by better units, I do not mean more expensive units. One of my favorites is the Onkyo MX504, a CDP with a garage sale value of about $5.00.

Tonight, I swapped out the Pioneer for a Sony DVP S7000ES flagship CD/DVD player. Is there a difference? I'm laughing at anyone whose theory requires them to say "no," in the face of the overwhelmingly obvious, audible truth to the contrary.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#134205 04/04/06 05:06 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

I just have to shake my head at the immodesty and presumption of a true believer whose faith requires the conclusion that all CD players sound the same when anyone who has done any critical listening of different CD players in a given system would know the "all CDPs are the same" mantra is so much foolishness.

Except for all of us who have done just that and have been told we're obviously not golden-earred enough to hear the difference by those who believe moon rocks aligned with Cygnus will let their speakers breathe better and open up the soundstage.

I see your thumb in the eye and raise you a knee to the groin.

Bren R.

#134206 04/04/06 05:36 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I agree with you to a certain degree. Quality relates nothing with reviews and retail price. When I "upgraded" to a Sony DVP755V I actually heard a degradation in redbook cd sound quality from my dad's old 14+ yr old Sony changer (which I still use as my main CD source, for its sound quality and disc changing convenience). On the other hand, SACD sounds great and video quality is impressive for such an inexpensive set.

The psychobabble, my mind should have told me the "new" player should have sounded better (SACD quality is excellent) but my "ears" told me it didn't.

I think I will be sad when I have to replace it. I'll probably stick with a Sony (probably a megachanger) due to it's impressive lifespan.

#134207 04/04/06 06:10 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
P8, the Onkyo MX504, which I think is terrific, is about 20 years old, don't know why it reproduces redbook so well.

One of my audio equipment theories is that 1 or 2 generation old top-of-the-line components make terrific audio values with nearly unbeatable sound quality.

One of my favorite systems is in my office - a Sony TA E9000ES 5.1 processor (no multichannel SACD) - bought refurbished from ebay for about $400, a Sony DVP S7000ES CD/DVD player, a former Sony flagship from maybe 3 generations ago, an Anthem PVA5 5 channel amp I picked up at a closeout from a local high end audio shop ... anyway, I pick components I like ... that sound good to my ears, and which the mfgrs have taken some pride in building. Works for me.

I'm always looking ... listening for the better sound, so I tweak my speakers with upgraded capacitors, supertweeters. Couldn't find a center channel which worked for me, tried a bunch, including a huge Klipsch KLF C7, Axioms ... finally stumbled on the Axiom made Merak MC series, the 6H with a pair of 6.5" drivers and a big horn tweeter, and the 634, also with the 6.5"s and the Axiom 3/4" titanium tweeter. So, I played with the crossover, swapped the Merak 6.5"s for Axiom aluminum 6.5"s, got rid of the Axiom 3/4" tweeter (a great tweeter), operated on the cabinet, replaced it with one from the reference 3a de capo mm and voila, the best sounding center I've ever heard.

It has nothing to do with Cygnus or moon rocks. So, the point is, Bren, I can hear the difference between components. You can't hear the difference, and that's OK.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#134208 04/04/06 06:35 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

It has nothing to do with Cygnus or moon rocks. So, the point is, Bren, I can hear the difference between components. You can't hear the difference, and that's OK.

Apparently it's not okay. Quick recap - Jazzed asks about it, JohnK gives his opinion, you attack JohnK, I attack you, you turn down the heat and suggest that I cannot hear what you do, and here we are.

For the new members, from here it goes on to:
2x6 "I hear a difference"
BrR "Assuming you're not doing anything to pervert the data stream, no, you can't..."
2x6 "I hear a difference... I trust my ears, you Star Trek science officer, you"
BrR "If you do hear a difference it's because whatever mod you're talking about is screwing with the signal in some way... playing what's on the CD is good and right, you witch doctor, you"
Then it degenerates into name-calling.

Now that we've fast-forwarded through that... you're a poopiehead. :P

Bren R.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,046 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup