Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: I'm upgrading to 'Tiger'
#134833 04/21/06 03:01 PM
devotee
devotee
Thanks Peter. I should also mentio that I have XDarwin and Open Office. Would I have to reinstall? As I'm a Mac newbie, uh where do I find the "Archive and Install"
I do have a Mac Tips book and I guess I'll have to do some more reading.

#134834 04/21/06 04:17 PM
shareholder in the making
When you run the installer, it's under either Options or Customize (I don't remember which, but you'll probably want to look at both of them. It's also possible that you may need to set up your printers again. The 10.4 upgrade is pretty clean, though.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Re: I'm heading to 'macbook' Boot Camp!
#134835 04/21/06 05:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It can go either way but it's still good for Apple since w/ Leopard you can run both OSX and Windows. You can also triple boot w/ Linux if you've got the nads to try it.

I'm sure there's a lot of people that would buy Macs just for looks and then run Windows. So what? To each his own. I'm sure there's a lot of Rio Carbon and Creative Zen owners that would rather die than give up their MP3 players for an iPod. Oh well...

I got Windows running on my Macbook and my IT dept loaded Office and our VPN s/w. I'm trying to use remapkeys to setup the keyboard so I can do CTRL-ALT-DEL but haven't figured it out yet...

#134836 04/21/06 06:42 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Wow, fanatic much? It always sucks when people like something enough to tell other people about it, doesn't it?

You're missing the point, though, Ken... hypersensitive to Mac bashing?

It's just that for the year previous to their purchase, I had read all the posts of "Playing WC3 on my computer, playing Half-Life 18 on my computer, playing Perfect Dark Minus 4 on my computer..." and then they buy iMacs and the posts turn into "oMgZZZZ!!!11!!one1!! ThIz c0mPUt3r t0Tally r0x0rz! ((^_^)) kekekeke" Launching the new arena was my first foray into OSX... the non-linear edit suite was OSX, my CG machine was XP. Rolling my chair between them, I didn't feel a particular, throbbing love for either. On one, I got one BSoD and a few Critical Errors, on the other, I got a good number of "the little color wheel has been spinning now for 10 minutes"... neither one made me want to shout from the rooftops and profess my undying, unnatural love for them.

With the fervor that they were applauding the new systems, it made me wonder if they had either received a model with a shiatsu massage mouse, or a Maxim-branded version of OSX or something.

Both just feel like tools to me. If I'm roofing - I want a roofing hammer, if I'm framing - I want a claw hammer, if I'm metalworking - I want a ballpeen hammer. I've never clung tight to, say, the ballpeen as a marvel of engineering, used it for everything, secretly cursed it's inability to remove a bent nail, then sung it's praises when Craftsman announces the new ballpeen hammer that dual boots into a claw hammer.

Ballpeen hammer guy (to contractor) "Look, my ballpeen now has a claw... I bet you're jealous, you need one of these, go get it now..."
Contractor "Uh, no thanks"
BHG "You're just jealous"
CON "Of?"
BHG "Now I can remove nails!"
CON "Um... this has been able to do the same for years" *waves claw hammer* "aren't you the nut that used to sit outside the construction trailer screaming 'peen is keen!' up until last week?"

Bren R.
(tongue planted firmly in cheek)

#134837 04/21/06 06:53 PM
devotee
devotee
Thanks Ken. Time to have some "fun" this weekend.

#134838 04/22/06 02:04 AM
Obviously some folks do feel there is a difference. What possible other motivation would the PA guys feel for posting in the way that they did (which, for the people who don't read that site is not particularly well represented by Bren's characterization)? I seriously doubt that someone held guns to their heads and made them write it.

The ability to dual boot is really quite nice. I use both types of machines; I own both types of machines. If I could just carry one laptop, use it in OS X for most stuff, and boot into Windows (or virtualize it) for VPC and some other stuff, I'd be overjoyed.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters