Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Excellent MP3 Player headphones ...
#135369 04/24/06 03:44 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My thoughts on speaker wire, for example are quite basic.

I had to get new wire when we got the kids; the Wife was afraid they'd cut themselves on the barbs the same way the cows did.

If it wasen't such a hassle I'd replace my surround wires in back. Some folks think 22guage is too small, but the speakers don't seem to mind.

Electrons are dumb; if they don't seem to care, why should I? Ok, maybe they are forced to slow down and bump into each other a bit on the bass notes.....

Did you catch my price/performance equations on cans earlier in this thread? I think it's actually pretty accurate!! The prices, of course are spot on. And the diminishing returns are probably fairly accurate as well.

One mod I think is actually a good idea on headphones: A plug on the can end so when you eventually do snag the wires they unplug easily.

I think wooden housings are fun, just like wood on our speakers. But only if the material is designed in.

And yeah, the cable and speaker forum is one of those "No flaming" forums that does have a fun entertainment value! People can talk as dumb as they want with no reprisals!

I do have to defend some of them though: Those who may be on the fence and don't know quite what to believe. If they spring for a snakeoil cable, it'll only be a couple feet worth. If the same thing happens in HT!!

Another thing that's interesting over there that we don't get here is the wide variety of can assesments. Absolutely nobody agrees with anyone else! You have to plot a minimum of twenty comparisons of one can to another just to get an IDEA of what the underlining truth may be!! You get to feeling like an Olympic Judge: Throw out the highest and the lowest and average the rest or plot a bell curve. Of course with so many foreign individuals using the forum for practicing their English.....

.....yeah, I'm still workin' on mine too!

#135370 04/24/06 03:49 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ah Geeze; more can comparisons to slog thru.

(.....I'll plot them with the rest

But yeah; pics would be nice......pleeeze!

#135371 04/24/06 04:37 AM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

If you ask really nice, I might post pictures.

Post some damn pics!

Uh, please?

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
#135372 04/24/06 06:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Adam.

I got to thinking a bit more about the tweaker community on the head-fi web site, and it kinda dawned on me that perhaps we're looking at it from two different angles!!

One of the fun things of Grado/Alessandro cans is the modifiabilities of the beasts!

Why just in pads alone there are literally dozens of ways to go. Take Senn 414 ear pads for example! There's normal, dime modded, nickel modded, the ever popular "quarter", and silver-dollar modded, and reversed and sometimes dyed something other than yellow. And they all sound a little different(septin' maybe the dye job!). Then there are three or four types of C-pads with and without adjustable vents. Some are home-made designs that are held on with blu-tac at that. There are flats and bowls and comfies, ...and rat shack,....the list of pads is near endless!!

....I've left my reversed 414s yellow so if I absentmindedly leave them in my chair in partial darkness, I'm not as likely to sit on them!

Changing housings for ones with exotic woods can be interesting if done correctly with the appropriate new drivers installed by someone who knows what they are doing!!

I notice a few folks changing out Grado harnesses, but not nearly as prevelant as with many other brands. And often these changes are more for convenience or looks rather than electronic variabilities.

The screen mods are also probably more for looks than performance, as are a lot of the wood accents. But it's a fun way to tinker around and make something a bit more personal. And hey, if yer gonna screw something up, better a hundred buck set of cans than a $900 pair of speakers!!

Kind of reminds me of my early days of motorcycles:

Other guys would get on their Hondas, add gas and ride. My Triumphs "Demanded" involvement!!

But, when all is said and done....

I think I had more fun!

#135373 04/24/06 10:00 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
In reply to:

modifiabilities

Prize him up!

Ken, maybe if you could get Adam to take some pictures for you...

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020