Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Ceiling Speakers with Similar Timbre?
#135714 04/25/06 08:34 PM
M
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
More fiddling...

Unfortunately, speaker separation went from 40 degrees to 26 degrees (Yeah, I just can't drop the Dolby stuff). At least the speakers are somewhat less enclosed.

But, best of all, the sub is in the back corner of the room (Boo-yeah! I win!)

Oh, and some components are slapped in the pic mostly for scaling purposes.

As usual, my cabinet designs never pass the wife test, so I'll chalk this up as something to suggest to the carpenter.

#135715 04/25/06 09:48 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Yay for you!

I think that's the ticket.

Aesthetically, unless you're going to run two center channels at some point (one above and one below the screen), I'd be tempted to just make the lower cabinets consistent all the way across.

But I think your latest design (and the sub positioning accommodation) provides much improved acoustic possibilities, in addition to future flexibility. Have you considered the Mansfield Beech with tan grilles? I think that combination would look very elegant, and help the speakers to be less imposing. Just a thought.

Maybe some nice pieces of art glass between the mains and the TV cabinet?

Are you going to mount an IR receiver/repeater somewhere? How about cooling for the components in the cabinet?

Man, you've got me hungry for pictures of this thing when it gets done. It's going to be fantastic.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#135716 04/25/06 09:49 PM
devotee
devotee
I think that is definitely a more functional design. Based on Dennis's center channel placement in his custom cabinet (with ample space around) this similar design should work fairly well. Good luck with the WAF, er, I mean wife.

#135717 04/26/06 05:53 PM
M
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
In reply to:

Aesthetically, unless you're going to run two center channels at some point (one above and one below the screen), I'd be tempted to just make the lower cabinets consistent all the way across.

I played around with it both ways. I'd have to say that I agree with you.

In reply to:

Have you considered the Mansfield Beech with tan grilles?

Oddly enough, black was my wife's choice. But, I still haven't ruled the Mansfield Beech out. I don't think we can make a final decision until we get some samples of our birch trim with our preferred stain. But, it just might match. I'd say it's definitely the closest of the standard finishes.

In reply to:

Are you going to mount an IR receiver/repeater somewhere?

That was my plan. I still haven't gotten around to doing much research on them yet...

In reply to:

How about cooling for the components in the cabinet?

That's actually something I was wondering about, especially since a home theater PC is in my eventual plans. I had considered that cutout below the TV to be a possible home of the PC, so I wouldn't run into as much trouble with cooling it.

Alternatively, I was considering a "chimney" type cooling system for the components. For the right cabinet, I'd have an intake vent on the lower-left wall of the cabinet. Each shelf would actually have a few inches of open space on the back, which would allow warm air to rise, and give me a place to route cables. Then, I'd have another vent on top of the cabinet for the warm air to escape.

Like this:

I'm not sure if I'll need a fan to draw out the heat, or just assume that since heat rises, I'm OK.

In reply to:

Based on Dennis's center channel placement in his custom cabinet (with ample space around) this similar design should work fairly well.

That reminds me... how much space should I be targeting for around the center?

#135718 04/26/06 09:34 PM
devotee
devotee
Personally I'd like to see at least 12" of clearance.

If you provide vents in the cabinet, that should be enough if sized adequately. As guidance for size, you can use the total free area of the electronics' vents. Anything much smaller and you will need to go with a fan assist. This also makes the assumption that your front panel door is fairly tight. You will get some air leakage through it to add to the natural ventilation and give some flexibility on vent size..

#135719 04/26/06 11:51 PM
M
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
Went to my local stereo store to audition a pair of the Paradigm in-ceilings (AMS-300) that I'd been offered. Pretty decent speakers at a great price, but wifey wants round grills to match her can-lighting.

After shaking the salesman ("You're buying speakers off the Internet? Why would you do something stupid like that?") I went to look at the AV receivers, and noticed the Denon 2807 for $899.

After looking around here, on Audioholics, and AVS, I'm wondering if there's really any reason for me to get the 3806 over the 2807?

#135720 04/27/06 11:46 AM
aficionado
aficionado
How much were the Paradigm AMS-300s at the dealer? Just curious.

#135721 04/27/06 01:12 PM
M
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
If I recall correctly, they were going for $475 for the pair (the great price was yours.. not the dealer's).

Last edited by millerbrad; 04/27/06 01:13 PM.
millerbrad #135722 06/07/06 09:14 PM
M
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
Not a whole lot to report so far, but the builder is still making good progress. The future home of my home theater is on the far-left in this photo.

I'll be meeting with the electrician in the next couple weeks. I'm having him install subwoofer jacks in both of the back corners of the room. Still negotiating with the wife on the exact cabinet setup, so we'll see how that works.

Until then, I'll keep stalking the forums...

Last edited by millerbrad; 06/07/06 09:15 PM.
millerbrad #135723 06/08/06 03:04 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Geez, those walls don't look very sturdy if they need all those supports. And won't those seriosly intrude on the space of your room? What was the architect thinking?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters